C2d, 680i, motherboard, 4x1GB and overclocking...

DogChainX

[H]ard|Gawd
I think i'm going to jump into a C2D mobo and 4gb of RAM.

I have water cooling (Thermochill PA160) so overclocking is a given. I hope to get a e6600 to around 3.6-4GHz. So, anyone have any experience overclocking a C2D cpu with 4x1GB memory? I'm looking to get some Buffalo Firestix as soon as the 'egg gets them in. I'll be upgrading to Vista x64 as well.

I heard the 680i and 4x1gb can be touchy...any comments on any specific board?

And yes, i did try google and forum searches, but nothing has come up with definitive info.

thanks!

I'm running 4x1g sticks with my quad @3.3ghz, memory @533MHz 5-6-6-17 2T. 15 sec 1M SuperPi and I'm sure with some tweeking, I can get this tightened up some more. I'm running these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227159

And though they are rated at 2.2v - 2.4v, I've never had them past 2.0v yet. They also boot just fine with my bios default 1.8v at stock clocks.

Make sure to run a 64-bit OS or 700 some odd MB of that will just be wasted.

vista is the only reason to get 4 gigs of ram, and i wouldnt use vista for many many reasons including 2 big reasons 1)security and 2)drivers/software or lack there of. not to mention the bugs...oh the bugs. at the last LAN i went to out of 20 something kids there was one running vista. i got to see the security holes first hand. took less then an hour to get root access to his pc, and ive never dealt with this OS first person before. so to sum up... dont waste your money.

vista is the only reason to get 4 gigs of ram, and i wouldnt use vista for many many reasons including 2 big reasons 1)security and 2)drivers/software or lack there of. not to mention the bugs...oh the bugs. at the last LAN i went to out of 20 something kids there was one running vista. i got to see the security holes first hand. took less then an hour to get root access to his pc, and ive never dealt with this OS first person before. so to sum up... dont waste your money.

Ever heard of Linux? And there is no root account in Vista unless you create one called root. And for you to hack an admin account would mean someone had a woefully misconfigured computer, regardless of the OS.

There are many reasons to need 4 gigs of ram, and lots of people do have a good experience with Vista as well, so I'm not too clear on what you are on about.

Don't like it, don't use it. If you don't have a need for 4 gigs of ram, good for you. Cool?

Vista is much more secure than XP could ever hope to be, and I hope that it gets adopted quickly because the faster people acquire it, the more reason hardware manufacturers have to write software and drivers that use it's features. DX10 and fully compatible drivers come to mind.

And there is no root account in Vista unless you create one called root. And for you to hack an admin account would mean someone had a woefully misconfigured computer, regardless of the OS.

i didnt say root account access. i said root access- meaning the software layer above the OS, and transparent to the operating system itself, and any software running underneath it (antivirus, software firewalls etc) which is disgustingly easy to get to i came to find out. and it wasnt misconfigured, he installed the OS as anyone would and updated it with windows update the day before. he didnt specificly secure the hell out of it like most people dont, he was running macaffee antivirus and default install settings. im not going to tell everyone on hardforum how to try it but it has something to do with the built in security features (the ones that let microsoft look at your files without your knowledge, stated in the EULA)

most people dont like to hear this though, its scarry shit if you know about it, which not many people take the time to. no need to read the licence, just click 'F8- I Agree' its all the same-old same-old right?

Yeah! Scary shit!

And I don't think we landed on the moon, either!

The Illuminati are watching... ssshhhh.

-bZj

Back