C1100 + dedicated video card -> no go, need help

Wil32

n00b
Hey guys,
I recently purchase a video card for my Dell C1100. I am currently running of Ubuntu 14.04.1. I spent 2 days trying to figure out how to get the video card to work. I had to 'update-pciids' to get my video recognizard properly for 'lspci' i installed the nvidia drivers from Nvidia itself, from repos and nothing seems to work. nvidia driver fails to load. The is a physical monitor plugged to the video card for the whole process.
I just don't know where to look now, let me know what you think.

my goal is to provide directx support to guest vm.

EDIT: things i will need to try : check if ubuntu can add a 2nd monitor.

have you tried going into the bios and seeing if there is an option to initialize pcie video before onboard?

there is no such options.

right now I installed Wheezy + Xen, made the video passtrough but after installing the nvidia drivers on the Windows Guest, the video card has a yellow triangle in the manager stating error code 43.

I am in the process of building a ESX server to 'physicalize' three VM's (two HTPC's, and one connected to a projector that is mounted over my kitchen table for RPG gaming). In all that I've read, nVidia consumer cards generally *don't work* for PCI passthrough.

I haven't read one successful build where someone used a consumer nVidia card, but LOTS of folks (myself included) have been successful with AMD. In my 'test' server, I have two 7470's passed through to two VM's with no issues. :)

The build I followed was from thehomeserverblog.com (I based my test system on his ASRock Extreme3 build).

Back