C Programming Books?

Whats a good about i can get about the C language? decided to give my java book back to the teacher i got it from and learn some C. Could use some recommendations. Thanks!

K&R's "the c programming language" is an excellent reference, i would accompany it with Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets for additional coverage of arrays, pointers, and various combinations thereof.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
lets be realistic here, yes thats the de facto reference to C but its not exactly beginner friendly

what problems are you having with java? C is not going to be any easier to master.

But C is fairly easy to learn, it's simple/small. The best reference for it is < 300 pages

A book I learned from was C Programming - A Modern Approach

Lots of good reviews and I found it easy enough to learn from. Although I had an awesome teacher with a lot of good assignments to go along with it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
lets be realistic here, yes thats the de facto reference to C but its not exactly beginner friendly

I agree if we're talking about a complete beginner but it's the perfect book if you already know how to program and grok a few things like pointers.

Thanks for the book recommendations! Im learning C first because to my understanding, C is a bit harder than Java so I'd want to learn that first.

Thanks for the book recommendations! Im learning C first because to my understanding, C is a bit harder than Java so I'd want to learn that first.

If you want to program Java, learn Java. There's not much of a point in learning C as a stepping stone.

I'm not saying that it's a bad idea to learn C and, IMHO, it's probably a better language to start programming in but if your end goal is to write Java, it's by no means necessary.

No no. I only received a Java book to learn a computer language, not because i want to program in Java

I have that Prata book mentioned earlier and I like it.

Good luck. You may find learning C quite dry as a first language. I did and I do a lot of programming but use more modern languages. I had to go back to my C books again while doing some Objective-C programming (developing iPad apps) that need to use some C/C++ libraries and I was reminded of why I didn't like the language as much as others.

I enjoyed learning C#, Python, Java, Objective-C and others a lot more.

If you didn't like the Java book, you may find learning C will take more of a concerted effort. But it depends on why you learning a computer language and your end goal. But you can't go wrong learning C, I just find the more modern languages a bit more fun to use.

What does "quite dry" mean? Why didn't you enjoy it?

What does "quite dry" mean? Why didn't you enjoy it?
By "quite dry", I meant I didn't find it as fun as other languages. The traditional steps in learning it was all console-based apps. I did learn it at a very young age as my first language so that may influence my attitude toward it but I've had more success with friends sticking with learning a computer language, when it was something else, like Python, C#, Java, ActionScript, etc, and then moving to C afterward.

Back