C&C3 is Actually pretty cool..

TheGeekFreek

Supreme [H]ardness
I dont really play RTS's all that much, but SC and C&C have been my favs.. I decided to reserve a copy a while back and picked it up today and I have to say im actually pretty impressed..

It looks good, Sounds good, plays good, so far what ive seen is pretty balance..

So far the only EXTREMELY weak thing ive run into is the online play.. It basically runs you thru this gauntlet of gamespy shit that it says you have to sign up for and register for to be able to play, went thru all of that, only to find out all you have to do is register with EA...

Which crashed multiple times... Now, I cant even get into an online game because the servers time out.. Was hopign to do a LAN with my friends..

Overall the gameplay is good.. Multiplayer is pretty weak to setup.. Gonna attempt a LAN here in a few..

But im pretty happy with it..

Don't play online mainly because I don't have the time but the single player is great.. I love the production value feels like to old c&c franchise I fell in love with.

I ran into the same issues many had with online play where it wouldnt connect, but I took my lappy over to my friends house and it connected fine..

It seems to be a major issue with Linksys router firewalls.. But the DLink ones worked fine..

But we play about 10 LAN games.. Was fun as Hell.. And I have to say im fairly impress that the AI wasnt completely retarded on Easy like in previous games.. We did a 1 v 1 v1 to start with.. Thats the first free for all Ive won against one of my friends.. ever.. hes like a startegy nut but I managed to take advantage of a sneak attack on him from another friend and wiped them both out....

The online play still cant handle it when there are LOTS of units in play tho.. It starts gettin really laggy, but were talking 350-500 units/buildings..

Gameplay looks a LOT cooler, and more blanaced..

C&C3 is ok, but as a rts, it doesn't hold a candle to company of heroes, one of the best rts's ever.

couldnt get C&c3 to work over hamachi(vpn software) with my brother he was able to see me and see my game but i never saw him once, this software works with supreme commander, age of empires2, warcraft3, but wont let him join my game it times out everytime. I was thinking its my school network blocking something but didnt make sense he could see even what i typed but i couldnt even see him in the lan lobby anyone know?

C&C3 is ok, but as a rts, it doesn't hold a candle to company of heroes, one of the best rts's ever.

To each his own. I dont care for the Company of Heroes game, or RTS's in general. But for some reason i always can get sucked into the C&C/Red Alert series of RTS's.

To each his own. I dont care for the Company of Heroes game, or RTS's in general. But for some reason i always can get sucked into the C&C/Red Alert series of RTS's.

Same here, I prefer C&C3 much over CoH. I guess I'm just an old school RTS guy (Loved SC and C&C).

I dunno. I wanted to like C&C3. I really did. But the more I played the demo, the more I felt like I'd already played it years ago. They didn't do anything to take a step forward other than revamp the graphics. That's not to say it's bad. But after years of evolution in the RTS genre, it seems like key features that have evolved have been left out. I don't see how I can play any new RTS without these. For example - the ability for infantry to take cover for higher survivability, being able to face buildings the direction you want, etc.

If this pops up for dirt cheap like when Best Buy had the 2142 black Fri special or $29 CoH, I'll pick it up. But until then, I can't justify the high price.

The game was awesome, I bought it from Best Buy. Its the best RTS I've played in my entire 10yrs of PC Gaming and yest i played Warcraft 3 and Starcraft. I say this as I'm not really a big fan of RTS games but CC3 is the shit. I'm sorry wow, best PC GAme i've played in a Lonngggggggggg Time. Love the graphics, gameplay, and ease of use when building units. Great game and the in-game movies are very well done, it gives me a good feel of actually fighting a war against the NOD. Good Game Immersion with the future/tech/war feel. Great game!

The only other games that gave me that immersion feel was UT99, Freespace 2 and HL2... Wow!

I just like believable Sci-Fi I guess..

I totally agree, but they really are different kinds of games. And both games do what they do extremely well. Personally, I like much slower, more 'tactical' kinds of strategy games. Actually, turn-based like Combat Mission's are my favorite. C&C on the other hand is blazingly fast and more centered around rushing.

C&C definitely is more catered to the competative multiplayer scene, which I totally respect. It's just not my preference.

As far as a development standpoint goes, I think C&C 3 has really shown what developers can accomplish if they know what they're doing. This game was made from scratch in under 18 months and is about as polished and they come. It certainly is a nice change of pace considering all the half-baked PC titles that hit the shelves these days.

I totally agree, but they really are different kinds of games. And both games do what they do extremely well. Personally, I like much slower, more 'tactical' kinds of strategy games. Actually, turn-based like Combat Mission's are my favorite. C&C on the other hand is blazingly fast and more centered around rushing.

C&C definitely is more catered to the competative multiplayer scene, which I totally respect. It's just not my preference.

As far as a development standpoint goes, I think C&C 3 has really shown what developers can accomplish if they know what they're doing. This game was made from scratch in under 18 months and is about as polished and they come. It certainly is a nice change of pace considering all the half-baked PC titles that hit the shelves these days.
I really like the slower pace of Company of Heroes, though I like the C&C games, too. I'd be curious what other strategy games you would put in the "slow tactical strategy" genre with COH. Obviously, the spiritual predecessor based on the same gameplay model, Warhammer 40000, but I'm not sure what else has come out that is similar, at least in pace, to COH.

350 - 500 units? at one time? glad to see the "strategy" has been taken out of RTSs now. Really, wtf is the point? Every RTSs title might as well start out as "Sim City: <enter name of game here>".

Starcraft was the last real RTS released, but it still isn't as good or as pure as War2.

being able to face buildings the direction you want, etc.

You can totally do this. You just hold the button down when you place the building. You can move the mouse around and rotate the ghost image of the building. Just let go when it's where you want it :p

I know that's a minor thing, but it felt worth at least pointing out :)

You're right in some ways about the game. It does eschew some of the newer well regarded features that are common to most RTS games, but I'm having so much fun flinging Scorpion tanks and Commandos and stuff around that it hasn't bothered me yet.

Sometimes I like my structured fully featured and deep gameplay like CoH or Supcom. Other times I have an urge for something simpler and easier to play and C&C 3 certainly fits that bill.

The cheesy FMV between missions is just icing on the cake :D

350 - 500 units? at one time? glad to see the "strategy" has been taken out of RTSs now. Really, wtf is the point? Every RTSs title might as well start out as "Sim City: <enter name of game here>".

Starcraft was the last real RTS released, but it still isn't as good or as pure as War2.

Dont worry.. they die pretty quickly...
It does balance itself very well..

Back