C&C3 feelings

why are people comparing this game to supreme commander?

each one focuses on strategy their own way

get used to it..

if you are going to complain about every little single thing.. you should mixed the games you play or get out more.
sigh..
is just a game ...

I was just checking out EA forums and I found something that just made this Demo even cooler!

HOW TO SELECT NOD FOR SKIRMISH

Wthigon said:
When youre in the skirmish screen, choose nod from the drop down, dont click it simply highlight it.

The since Nod starts with 'N' hit 'N' and click at the same time... it might take a try or two.

You have now selected nod. Works also as selecting Nod to fight against.

I was just checking out EA forums and I found something that just made this Demo even cooler!

HOW TO SELECT NOD FOR SKIRMISH

Wow. It works, and it's pretty easy. It also works for selecting the AI 'personalities,' though I don't know if they're actually implemented or not.. I tried an AI turtler and it pretty much lived up to expectations.

I tried it for the Scrin, and it works - there's just no units. XD You instantly lose the game, but you can see how the UI looks I guess..

Yeah I thought it looked too simple but it definitely does work, but not all of the sounds are implemented because I wasn't getting "Silos Needed" echoing over and over and I forgot to build them, thus my funds were stuck lol.

Is it just me or is medium balanced hard as hell??? I used to play C&C all the time but it creates like 3 bases on the map before I even get 5 tanks out! Easy is a total joke, it seems like the gap between the two difficulties is insane.

Is there a way to attack-move like in old C&C? My units never fight back on sight of the enemy it seems.

EDIT: I looked at the statistics and NOD was able to make TWICE as many structures AND units in the same time period before I saw the writing on the wall and just gave up as 20000 tanks came to my bases. Am I missing something here?! I used to play RA2 on hard... this is nuts.

Ugh I give up, I watched it build a 2nd(!) base near mine in less than 5 seconds... I am not exaggerating the number. 10 structures popped up right after the AI swarmed my units and drove them out. Is my game glitched or something and medium = brutal? I had 4 harvesters and 2 refineries and I couldn't crank out enough cash to even make 1/4 the # of units they did, even with dual war factories. There goes 11 years of C&C experience down the drain...

Things I liked the most:

Fast Build times (foot soldiers build in about 4 seconds)
Old style FMV's
What looks like it could be a good story
Pathing with a lot of troops + vehicles actually seemed really good
Runs very well
Loads very fast
True to the original in almost all the important ways

Things i disliked

Not much actually, er it's published by EA who I hate with a passion...

I think the thing I loved the most was the unit build times, the reload times of the Orcas, the large scale unit production and the more money from Tiberium, it means you can have quite large battles quite fast without having to worry about the whole tech tree, about funds or about build times, although that may change when you get to tanks etc.

In my mind (mainly beacuse Im bad at RTS games) the RTS genre should remain fairly simple with a more rock paper scissors type affair, games like CoH while nice looking were too slow for me, and SupCom looks way to complex and to be quite frank, bland as hell.

It sort of offers battles scaled much larger than CoH but not as big as SupCom, but does it at a much faster pace and with a much better frame rate, for the average joe schmo which is a catagory I (and a lot of others) fit in to when it comes to RTS games, I think it's going to be a blast.

I downloaded the demo from gamespot... it unzipped... and now I don't know where the hell it is!:mad: No setup screen no nothing .. wtf?

Is it just me or is medium balanced hard as hell??? I used to play C&C all the time but it creates like 3 bases on the map before I even get 5 tanks out! Easy is a total joke, it seems like the gap between the two difficulties is insane.

Is there a way to attack-move like in old C&C? My units never fight back on sight of the enemy it seems.

EDIT: I looked at the statistics and NOD was able to make TWICE as many structures AND units in the same time period before I saw the writing on the wall and just gave up as 20000 tanks came to my bases. Am I missing something here?! I used to play RA2 on hard... this is nuts.

Ugh I give up, I watched it build a 2nd(!) base near mine in less than 5 seconds... I am not exaggerating the number. 10 structures popped up right after the AI swarmed my units and drove them out. Is my game glitched or something and medium = brutal? I had 4 harvesters and 2 refineries and I couldn't crank out enough cash to even make 1/4 the # of units they did, even with dual war factories. There goes 11 years of C&C experience down the drain...

Build more refineries. I immediately branch out to the two tiberium fields at the top left and bottom right, and build 4 refineries at each location. I also capture the two tiberium generator things near my main base. That provides me with enough income to fund the construction of the entire tech tree as well as enough defenses to keep enemy forces at bay. Then I start building an attack force. Also make sure to build the superweapons.

I am incredibly disappointed with this game. (this might sound kinda like a rant...which i guess it is.)

The zoom? entirely useless. Its default zoom level is too close, even for a CNC game. For one, you cant zoom out at all, which is the entire purpose of a zoom. And you can zoom in about 25% more than the default view, which is already pretty close up. They might as well have removed the zoom function entirely, because its compeltely useless from a gameplay / strategic standpoint.

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, but this does not feel like command and conquer or tiberian sun at all. I understand you have to change some things, but the core game play should remain mostly untouched for a franchise. (especially one as iconic as this). I'm talking about the whole select an individual unit / squad thing. It really cheapens the game when you build one unit and a squad pops out of the barracks. Its like taking the hit points and damage of every character in a RPG (good and bad) and multiplying them by 10. It may look cool on paper, but its really just the same. I guess its EA cheapening the game up to make it look fancier for the mainstream. (which is weird..because CNC is very mainstream as it is).

This is a personal opinion, but i feel everything looks too blocky. I guess im just not a fan of where the artistic design went. It looks like cnc, if you are drunk, maybe. or are squinting your eyes real hard. If it wasn't for so many other things id be an asshole not to let this slide, however. (i mean it takes place after tiberan sun, of course things are going to change).

The UI is a bit hard to deal with. I wish they kept it more red alert 2 / tiberian sun style. Again, this is the whole "feel" of command and conquer thing. I loved the 2 column building / unit design. They changed the fringe features, but unfortunately, (at least for me) they also messed with what makes CNC CNC. (and they cant hide under the fact that its an alternative franchise like generals was either.) As soon as i heard they were getting the BFME engine, i knew it was going to loose its CNC feel.

Why didn't this game deserve its own engine? I have no idea. (oh wait, EA.)

Am i being an elitist asshole? probably. Am i being overly harsh on it? yeah, probably. Am i expecting too much? hell no! red alert and command and conquer were two of my favorite games as a kid! I mean, i made my online nicknames/email accounts that ive had for 6+ years after tiberian sun.
I wanted the CNC core polished to perfection with a nice set of new features, not a rebranding of the BFME engine with a weird mishmash of tiberian sun art style and bfme features. thats not a CNC game. its a bastard child of EA and them trying to make some money. they've managed to not really add anything new to the genre while also smearing the core gameplay of cnc. Take supreme commander for example. they really are furthering the genre as a while, and it STILL feels like TA.

Is it a good game for most people? Yeah, it'll probably turn out that way.

Does it deserve a place in the original CNC series?
No.

I'm sorry to say i agree with you word for word.

Overall it is disappointing and i would almost rather have really detailed 2D animations (like RA2) then these chinsey 3D crap. I think Im going to have to pass on this game i just wish i could finally it a resolution to all the unanwser questions from the "classic" C&C games.

IMO

when i play at any resolution my frames are locked at 30. i looked for a vsync option if it was turned on no option for vsynce though. is something wrong

when i play at any resolution my frames are locked at 30. i looked for a vsync option if it was turned on no option for vsynce though. is something wrong

The game is capped at 30 fps. The cap may be different in the retail game which is supposed to have different game speeds, but I'm not positive on this.

The game is capped at 30 fps. The cap may be different in the retail game which is supposed to have different game speeds, but I'm not positive on this.

I believe Generals was the same way, except it had random lag because the engine was a pos.

The demo is awesome. It has that old C&C feel to it. The graphics is nice too. The only thing I didn't like was not being able to zoom out a bit more.

My spec:
Northwood 2.66
1GB DDR
Mobility Readon 9000

Do I have ANY chance to play this? If the engine doesn't have a DX8 code path I'm screwed.
I grew up on C&C and it was my first ever RTS, and I actually liked the plot ;) . Would hate to sit this one out for at least 2 years since that's the nearest time I see myself getting a new laptop.

I used to just mass orcas and just use the initial load to blast the shit out of NOD in campaign, build one helipad and just keep ordering in choppers till I reach max limit which was like 50+ and then just swarm the base with them. Good times.

I've been a hardcore C&C fan since the very first game. While there have been some disappointments (lets not talk about Renegade or Generals....) I feel that they've gone back to the "roots" of C&C! I absolutly LOVE the C&C3 demo. They've stayed true to the simple "build army, cause havok" theme and it's a riot to play. I feel they've definetly done their homework, and while the graphics are not revolutionary, I feel they match the fast gameplay perfectly. The funny animations that each unit will do while idle add that special C&C feel (remember when the commando would stand and smoke his cigarette? lol), the designers defiently wanted to give the old and new fans a sense of heritage.

I think this will be a great game with lots of replay value. While it's not as massive in scale as SupCom, it's not MEANT to be. TA and C&C were always different styles of games in the same genre.

Its about time a REALLY GOOD PC GAME is about to be releaased. I really enjoyed the demo, I love the futuristic feel comming from Zero Hour. Its definitely an upgrade but I still like Zero Hour, however C&C3 is definitely better.

Its worthy of a Pre Order, and I haven't said that or done that since when UT2k4 was released. WOW

The game runs excellent on my 4200+ with a 8800gts Rig.. A nice start for 2007, with the PC Game industry. Couldn't have asked for a better RTS. C&C3 is the best RTS i've played to date.

My spec:
Northwood 2.66
1GB DDR
Mobility Readon 9000

Do I have ANY chance to play this? If the engine doesn't have a DX8 code path I'm screwed.
I grew up on C&C and it was my first ever RTS, and I actually liked the plot ;) . Would hate to sit this one out for at least 2 years since that's the nearest time I see myself getting a new laptop.

I used to just mass orcas and just use the initial load to blast the shit out of NOD in campaign, build one helipad and just keep ordering in choppers till I reach max limit which was like 50+ and then just swarm the base with them. Good times.

I have a Northwood 2.66, 2gb, and a 7600gs and its runs perfect at 1680x1050 with everything maxed. This game isn't that taxing. You should grab a new video card for $100 or something though if you can.

I tired it and I loved it. I hope the maps are much bigger then the demo's maps are though because my base took up a huge size of that map. But I loved it other then that. I mean I like how they returned to the more traditional C&C interface compared to the crap they called generals and I also enjoyed the automated defenses ripping apart the enemy units. It was very nice. I think it is more worthy of carrying the C&C title then Generals ever was. However I do not feel it quite at the level RA2 was for me.

I have loved all the C&C games, even Renegade, and even Generals and Zero Hour. However, I was completely disappointed with this demo. It's like C&C for people with ADD. No tactics needed, it's just a unit spam fest. I already pre-ordered it but I am seriously considering cancelling it now. I will try a couple skirmishs to see if I can change my opinion, but this is one of the biggest let downs for me in a while.

It felt like everything was going slower than it should've. The game's fps were no problem, but it was like playing at .75 times the speed what I'm used to in games.

I have loved all the C&C games, even Renegade, and even Generals and Zero Hour. However, I was completely disappointed with this demo. It's like C&C for people with ADD. No tactics needed, it's just a unit spam fest. I already pre-ordered it but I am seriously considering cancelling it now. I will try a couple skirmishs to see if I can change my opinion, but this is one of the biggest let downs for me in a while.

This "tactic" doesn't work against any difficulty higher than easy.

For those of you interested, you can play as the Nod in skirmish mode (thought you're not supposed to be able to). Pull down the team select menu, put the mouse over Nod and press N then move the mouse out of the menu to the left or right of Nod. Try it a few times and it should work.

It felt like everything was going slower than it should've. The game's fps were no problem, but it was like playing at .75 times the speed what I'm used to in games.

You know, i got that too. Its one of the reasons it dosnt feel quite like cnc anymore. Things arent fast paced enough. Is there a speed setting im missing perhaps?

You know, i got that too. Its one of the reasons it dosnt feel quite like cnc anymore. Things arent fast paced enough. Is there a speed setting im missing perhaps?

The reason for that, in my experience, is that there is no longer a tiling system, so a lot of the pathing is really stupid. Units can drive anywhere and stop anywhere, not just in imaginary predetermined squares on the ground. Trying to use a flame tank to burn out a garrisoned building when there is another building in front of it is very annoying because the tank takes a retarded path to get into line of sight. This kind of stuff happens all the time, and it's due to collision pathing problems and line of sight issues that arise when there are not defined paths that everything can take. That and movement speeds are just generally slower.

A lot of my soldiers just kinda stop moving. I'm not sure whats going on...like I tell them to move halfway across the map and if another moving object gets in their way they just stop. Shouldn't they like...walk around it or something?

Build more refineries. I immediately branch out to the two tiberium fields at the top left and bottom right, and build 4 refineries at each location. I also capture the two tiberium generator things near my main base. That provides me with enough income to fund the construction of the entire tech tree as well as enough defenses to keep enemy forces at bay. Then I start building an attack force. Also make sure to build the superweapons.

I think my demo was glitched, I had a different executable from the FilePlanet preload. I dled it from Gamespot and the AI got crushed within minutes on medium :p It no longer builds a temple of NOD in 2 minutes.

That tip rocks though, thanks. In MP I usually never built too many defensive structures but that seems key against the fast AI in this game.

I have a Northwood 2.66, 2gb, and a 7600gs and its runs perfect at 1680x1050 with everything maxed. This game isn't that taxing. You should grab a new video card for $100 or something though if you can.

In case you didn't notice it in the GPU's name, the thing is stuck in a laptop...

im a little dissapointed how bad the units look even on the highest settings. they just dont look realistic enough to me and feel kinda cartoonie or something. the effect are pretty damn nice tho like the Ion weapons and such.

but im really dissapointed in the unit look. i was just expecting C&C 3 to have really nice looking usits and instead they remind me of generals which i didnt like how those looked either.

and yes i know its a fictional game. but for a sequal of Tiberian Sun i was expecting the units to look awsome. and after playing a game like Company of Heros where the units such as tanks actually look GREAT. it just makes C&C's look bad heh.

other than that tho it looks like a solid game. but the units look is a big part of my experience which i just cant ignore.

I installed EA Link, but when I register, the text in picture comes up as a broken image. Clicking "show another picture" or whatever doesn't fix it. I can't register! I need to download the demo at a rate faster than 10Kb/s! Ahhh!

The movies look pretty good. Just wish I could play it.

So who's preordering? I don't think will. One free map? Feh. Not enticing enough.

anyone try running it in vista yet?

I ran last night on VISTA Ultimate with 1920 x 1200 + Max every thing on my 8800GTS and believe me it was pure fun. I have been command and conquer fan since first installment. I never played any other game than C & C in RTS category.

There was no lag and the story looks good, Game play was fun, no crash, no hickups. I downloaded Demo from File Front and i maxed out my FIOS @ 650KB/s :D. Excellent place to download the Demo.

I cannot wait for the full Game.

I installed EA Link, but when I register, the text in picture comes up as a broken image. Clicking "show another picture" or whatever doesn't fix it. I can't register! I need to download the demo at a rate faster than 10Kb/s! Ahhh!

The movies look pretty good. Just wish I could play it.

So who's preordering? I don't think will. One free map? Feh. Not enticing enough.

Uh, you should read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Downloader

and then remove that POS from your computer asap.
A short preview of what ea link does:

# Installs a kernel-level Windows driver which can not be easily uninstalled.
# Prevents certain debuggers from running on your system.

Sounds like a rootkit to me. More info in the wikipedia article.

Uh, you should read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Downloader

and then remove that POS from your computer asap.
A short preview of what ea link does:

# Installs a kernel-level Windows driver which can not be easily uninstalled.
# Prevents certain debuggers from running on your system.

Sounds like a rootkit to me. More info in the wikipedia article.

Haha. That sucks. Fortunately I just reinstalled XP Pro on a new hard drive, so it's not an issue anymore. Once I copy over all my music, pictures, stuff like that, I'm reformatting it (it currently has a Windows partition as well).

Does anyone know a good link to use to download the demo? The direct link on the site gives me like 15 Kb/s tops. I don't wanna subscribe to any sites either.

Mistake #1

Aye.

Props to tskiller for bringing it my attention. It's a moot point now, though, since that hard drive is not an OS drive anymore. Good to know though. I won't be installing it again. I'll just have to let the demo download overnight or during work.

Haha. That sucks. Fortunately I just reinstalled XP Pro on a new hard drive, so it's not an issue anymore. Once I copy over all my music, pictures, stuff like that, I'm reformatting it (it currently has a Windows partition as well).

Does anyone know a good link to use to download the demo? The direct link on the site gives me like 15 Kb/s tops. I don't wanna subscribe to any sites either.

Get it from Filefront. I got it with no line at about 500k a few days ago.

I downloaded the demo from gamespot... it unzipped... and now I don't know where the hell it is!:mad: No setup screen no nothing .. wtf?

That happened to me too. I copied the file onto another harddrive and tried unzipping it again and the the installer popped up.

man i had no idea this was out! i'm glad everyone loves it as much as they do!

*downloading demo*

Wow playing as NOD is so much more fun, then again NOD is always more fun in C&C. :D

I was always more of a Red Alert fan though, any news if they are working on that yet?

Back