C&C Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert are Getting Remasters

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by AlphaAtlas, Nov 15, 2018.

1. AlphaAtlas

AlphaAtlas [H]ard|Gawd Staff Member

Following backlash against C&C Rivals, EA confirmed that some kind of PC Command and Conquer remaster was in the works last month, but the conformation was short on details. Yesterday, EA went into a little more detail on their website. Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn and Command & Conquer: Red Alert, along with all of the later game's DLC, are getting full remasters. To help make it happen, EA announced a partnership with Petroglyph Games, which "includes many of the original developers from Westwood Studios, and some of the most influential members of the original Command & Conquer development team from 1995." As promised in the Reddit announcement, neither remaster will ship with micro-transactions. EA is also partnering with Lemon Sky Studios, who worked on some of the art for the StarCraft remaster and a number of other high profile releases. While a release window isn't mentioned, EA notes that development hasn't even started yet, which means both games are probably a long way away.

Joe Bostic is known as the co-creator of C&C, having also served as the Lead Programmer on Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert. Steve Tall joined Joe as a Lead Programmer on Red Alert, and Mike Legg contributed to all forms of audio systems at Westwood, having been an employee since 1986! All three members helped start Petroglyph Games in 2003 after the closure of Westwood and are joined by a veteran group of RTS developers from the past 15+ years. And don’t think we haven’t noticed the #1 request from the community in all the comments from the past month... You want Frank Klepacki. So as a cherry on top for the fans, we are thrilled to announce that Frank will be re-joining Petroglyph Games to be our Composer and Audio Director for the remaster collection!

DrezKill, Kinsaras and Delicieuxz like this.
  2. Inacurate

Inacurate Limp Gawd

Westwood forever!

illram, scobar, pendragon1 and 8 others like this.
  3. Tiburon1186

Tiburon1186 Gawd

I'm looking forward to this. I hope they do a true remaster to the engine, not just a resolution upgrade.

N4CR, scobar, LightsOut41 and 3 others like this.
  4. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ Little Bitch

neither will ship with micro-transactions?

EA must have a fever.

5. OpenSource

OpenSource Gawd

Obvious cautious optimism but that's a lot of positive news.

This still doesnt buy EA any goodwill with me.

dragonstongue likes this.
  6. maxius

maxius 2[H]4U

Even with the og people that created the damn games on board EA will FUCK THIS SO [H]ARD! ? WHY CAUSE THEY ARE EA!

7. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

Not on mobile? Pass.

The Mad Atheist likes this.
  8. maxius

maxius 2[H]4U

200.gif

trparky, N4CR, DrezKill and 6 others like this.
  9. ThatITGuy

ThatITGuy [H]Lite

If they add microtransactions, i will be so pissed. Red Alert was my first and probably still favorite experience with RTS games. All they have to do is fix graphics up to look pretty and I will buy. Do i need to use a time machine to go back and assassinate the person who first came up with microtransactions to fix this?
    Time will tell.... time will tell.

- doh... missed it said no microtransactions in the original post..... so how are they going to screw this up now?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    N4CR, LightsOut41, MaZa and 2 others like this.
  10. collegeboy69us

collegeboy69us [H]ardness Supreme

I grew up with those games... and all the hoping and dreaming in the world still won't make it such that EA doesn't fuck this up somehow.

scobar likes this.
  11. ThatITGuy

ThatITGuy [H]Lite

Do you guys not have phones? (Why are there not any good memes for this yet?)

DrezKill and vegeta535 like this.
  12. Disco_Stu_04

Disco_Stu_04 Limp Gawd

If they have the aforementioned talent--why not make a new game?

Remaster is nice and all but I think PC gamers would appreciate a new addition to their library.

DedEmbryonicCe11, M76 and jfreund like this.
  13. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

I wonder if they'll remaster the fmv. I hope they didn't record those on some potato.

14. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

"Talent" can mean anyone even the janitor from the old westwood offices.

15. Oldmodder

Oldmodder Limp Gawd

Nice, playing red alert was my first venture into competitive gaming online, at the time on a friends dual ISDN line as i was not in the mood to fork over money for that internet fab.
    That did change with flatrate prices for DSL lines, but by then red alert was long gone.

I hope they don't just update the look of the game, i wouldn't mind if the sprinkled a little fairy dust over the project too.
    Then again with EA you better be careful what you wish for.

16. ThatITGuy

ThatITGuy [H]Lite

Nope, most of their new ideas suck.

There are a number of games I can think of that if someone did a good remaster of them (Star Wars: KOTOR, Star Wars: Tie Fighter, and Command and Conquer:Red Alert) ... I would buy day 1.

LightsOut41 likes this.
  17. mda

mda [H]ard|Gawd

If someone remade Xwing/TF/XvT I'd buy a 50-100$ joystick just for that...

18. carlbme

carlbme [H]ard|Gawd

I haven't bought an EA game or taken them up on any of the free games either since the whole SimCity disappointment. Flat out removed Origin and SimCity, stated I'd never buy another EA game. I've stuck to my guns on that. BUT.....I think I might just give up on that for this. Sadly I'm sure I'll have to install Origin in order to play in of course though.

19. nubbin77

nubbin77 Limp Gawd

Bring it to Xbox with KB & M support!

20. pizzathehutt

pizzathehutt [H]Lite

I second both of these posts.

21. pizzathehutt

pizzathehutt [H]Lite

but i still have a working one of these (with USB adapter of corse)
    gravis3.jpg

KarsusTG likes this.
  22. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

Be nice if they used the openra engine, but probably wont...

23. spintroniX

spintroniX Gawd

Didn't know about this, thanks!

24. Etherton

Etherton Will Bang for Poof

172905_200.gif

25. harvestor

harvestor [H]Lite

Cautiously optimistic, EA will mess it up somehow but Red alert is a top 10 all time game for me, will be keeping an eye on this.

26. Moogle Stiltzkin

Moogle Stiltzkin Gawd

there are a few things certain in life. death, taxes, and EA screwing you over somehow.

i for one will wait for the game release.... followed by proper gaming reviews.... before a prior purchase. no pre-ordering :/

27. Seventyfive

Seventyfive [H]ard|Gawd

I hope they retcon Yuri into being a transvestite. It just feels like what they should do to be on the right side of history.

28. xkilla101

xkilla101 [H]Lite

Considering they said C&C: Red Alert, and NOT Red Alert 2.... Yuri isn't in this.

29. MaZa

MaZa 2[H]4U

Hah, it would have been such a shitstorm if they added mobile style microtransactions. "I see you want to build another Mammoth Tank. You have to wait for 40 minutes but if you spend 5 Tiberium coins you can get it now!" Urgg...

Well, this is EA we are talking about. Even if MT is out of the door they WILL figure out another way to double dip into our wallets just to satisfy their shareholders and get all the money in the world. They simply cannot resist it, they have proven this time and time again.

N4CR likes this.
  30. Etherton

Etherton Will Bang for Poof

Oh snap! We have a real C&C connoisseur here!

LightsOut41 likes this.
  31. Krazy925

Krazy925 epeen +11

Between this and the remastering of War3 with TFT. Red Alert was my first RTS I can remember, and will always hold a special spot in my heart.

Jesus guys I can only get so fucking hard. I'm gonna shoot clue goo all over my screen.

Let's be honest though we're gonna burn down EA's HQ if they fuck this up right?

N4CR, Inacurate and Etherton like this.
  32. KarsusTG

KarsusTG 2[H]4U

Honestly, the m3 intel chip in my chromebook would probably push this just fine. Can't imagine playing something like this on phone though.

33. mope54

mope54 [H]ardness Supreme

triple dip

a hi-res texture pack is already double-dipping; they used to be part of patches or expacs

34. Inacurate

Inacurate Limp Gawd

Hopefully these sell well enough to apply the same treatment to Tiberian Sun!
    Man, I miss early RTS days when things were fresh.

35. Teenk9

Teenk9 Gawd

Please don't fuck this up. Please don't fuck this up. Please don't fuck this up.

DrezKill and Krazy925 like this.
  36. Kinsaras

Kinsaras 2[H]4U

Please don't mess this up EA!

DrezKill and Krazy925 like this.
  37. greenman

greenman Limp Gawd

So.. What about Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2? I thought they were remastering the whole series?

38. Neslepax

Neslepax Gawd

You want to upgrade to Mammoth tanks? $2.00 please. You want Tesla Coils? $2.00 please. Oh, you want to use your Spy Plane? $1.00 per use please. You must also pay $5.00 to unlock the gem fields being more productive than regular mineral fields. Joking aside, it would not surprise me at all if EA pulled this stunt.

39. Aireoth

Aireoth [H]ard|Gawd

I hope to god they don't update the music, or if they do they give the option to swtich back to the OG, because remastered old game music is always worse (I'm looking at you Star Control Origins).

Kinsaras likes this.
  40. DedEmbryonicCe11

DedEmbryonicCe11 [H]ard|Gawd

https://www.moddb.com/mods/xwvm
    There's a small team working on a Unity version that loads the original assets (must have your original discs or buy a new copy). Unfortunately they are keeping the pool of testers very small and it seems like a small team. Maybe by 2020.:brb:

Tags: