C&C RIP

strikerP4

Limp Gawd
EA took a brilliant game series and slowly and painfully tortured it to death and C&C4 was the final nail in the coffin. RIP old friend.

EA knows how to make money and that's it. If that requires bastardizing franchises to do it, then so be it.

they won't make money if they have no franchise left to sell to it's audience

this seems to be happening with all games, they are calling it, "streamlining games" so that the lazy none gamer will buy the game and not have a hard time beating it. also crappy story lines.

this seems to be happening with all games, they are calling it, "streamlining games" so that the lazy none gamer will buy the game and not have a hard time beating it. also crappy story lines.
I saw this with DA. It was a great game but frankly no where near as good or challenging as BG series was. I feel a big part of that was EA's influence. I know Bioware is better than this.

I saw this with DA. It was a great game but frankly no where near as good or challenging as BG series was. I feel a big part of that was EA's influence. I know Bioware is better than this.

NWN, KOTOR, and Jade Empire were nowhere near as complex or challenging as BG either. Nor was Mass Effect 1 for that matter. None of those had anything to do with EA or anyone expect Bioware. A good portion of DAO's development was done before EA bought them.

C&C Gold is the game that got me playing multiplayer games. Back when you had to put in your buddies phone number and hit dial, only after they setup their game to wait for a player to connect. The original Red Alert, and Red Alert Aftermath were classics that I played on serial LAN connections. When Westwood sold out, I was upset but not to the point where I would not buy the game. I have owned and put in many hours on all C&C branded games. I think I was the only person playing C&C Renegade. Generals was OK, but that would the big let down. Needless to say, I have not even played the new C&C. And I was a big fan. And I have not heard too many good things to make me want to pick it up.

C&C Gold is the game that got me playing multiplayer games. Back when you had to put in your buddies phone number and hit dial, only after they setup their game to wait for a player to connect. The original Red Alert, and Red Alert Aftermath were classics that I played on serial LAN connections. When Westwood sold out, I was upset but not to the point where I would not buy the game. I have owned and put in many hours on all C&C branded games. I think I was the only person playing C&C Renegade. Generals was OK, but that would the big let down. Needless to say, I have not even played the new C&C. And I was a big fan. And I have not heard too many good things to make me want to pick it up.

I liked Generals, but yeah it had its fair share of problems I think Generals biggest issue was the CnC branding. It really didn't belong as part of the series, it didn't feel like it should be there. Still, I wouldn't be against the idea of a new one provided the team developed a new engine and spent time working on the various gameplay elements that brought down some of the fun of the original.

NWN, KOTOR, and Jade Empire were nowhere near as complex or challenging as BG either. Nor was Mass Effect 1 for that matter. None of those had anything to do with EA or anyone expect Bioware. A good portion of DAO's development was done before EA bought them.
Non of those games claimed to be the successor to BG though.

Like I said before, I blame the people that actually bought generals, and zero hour. People making EA think its OK to shove this C&C branded bullshit down our throats is the reason C&C is the way it is today.

GG C&C, I personally cant wait to see what kind of bullshit EA drops on us for the next installment. Its getting funnier and funnier with every game.

They may have killed it with C&C4 but Generals, Red Alert 3, and C&C3 were all good games.

Generals was good all around but was a bit different than typical C&C games. C&C3 had pretty good singleplayer and multiplayer was good later on after they balanced it.
What was really awesome for Red Alert 3 was the co-op campaign. Playing with a friend made it really fun otherwise I'd probably just skip it and play multiplayer.

Last edited:
i haven't liked the franchise since red alert. there has just simply been other rts that were and are better.

Generals was awesome, the only problem was the game crashing with huge MP battles all the time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I gathered C&C4 is receiving generally positive reviews in light of the rage inducing direction it went.

I haven't like the franchise since they took away the birds eye camera and made all the units really obese looking. I can't stand RTS games with a close camera angle. I want to be able to select all my units from a single mouse swipe without having to scroll across the screen to do so, also you don't really whats going on around you.

Had a LAN party last week, saw this first hand from a friend who is a C&C fanboy, man he was angry at what they'd done, you're forced into online chat when playing singleplayer, so you've got these retards spamming all sorts of shit on your screen when playing the singleplayer causing lag etc, whoever thought that was a good idea is a fucking idiot.

Oh yeah and you dont have a base anymore, just one large building, oh and it can get up and walk about...and it can build your units while moving about mobile and you just deploy it and they all come streaming out...

No...I'm not kidding, it's retarded.

Like I said before, I blame the people that actually bought generals, and zero hour. People making EA think its OK to shove this C&C branded bullshit down our throats is the reason C&C is the way it is today.

GG C&C, I personally cant wait to see what kind of bullshit EA drops on us for the next installment. Its getting funnier and funnier with every game.

I often blame people who enjoy a particular style of game for purchasing a particular game containing that game style when it offers hours of enjoyment too! I should be loyal to the brand and not sell out for enjoyment, right?

Where is all this "brand loyalty" coming from? If you enjoy the game (and game style) then purchase the game. Brand loyalty is an artifical concept. Developers use it as a vehicle for repeat sales, and fanbois use it as a reason to both insanely enjoy or insanely flame a particular game.

A quick example about how silly it is to blame the consumer for destroying a brand: There's this particular brand of chicken wings I like. The seasoning is just right and the wings tend to have a lot of meat on them. You know what I would do if the company changed the wings' flavor or relative meatiness? I'd either accept it or move on. Any other option is shouting at the rain and deserves none of my time. Yelling at the people who continue to purchase the chicken wings, telling them how they are making an inferior choice and their continued purchase is sending the wrong picture to the company providing the product is silly, just like it is in the C&C/EA situation.

2.png

My problem comes when developers screw up a loved franchise. If you want to make a specific type of game for a specific type of audience and that audience will enjoy the game then great, I'm all for that.

But create some new IP and build a new game, a new franchise...spoiling a current one which already has it's own fanbase just to sell off it's success is just really lame and it's a crying shame to see old IP taken and abused to make crap games.

Games are for at least some part, there to allow us to experience a range of emotional interactive moments which we basically carry with us forever, OK so a lot of games are pretty bad at it, but when you hit the sweet spot you're affected and you become emotionally attached to the IP...for someone to then go and dick with it, just isn't fucking cricket.

Make all the shitty games for the mass market you want, make as many newbed up bullshit games as you want, but for the love of god start a new fucking IP/franchise to do it from rather than flushing existing ones down the toilet.

I often blame people who enjoy a particular style of game for purchasing a particular game containing that game style when it offers hours of enjoyment too! I should be loyal to the brand and not sell out for enjoyment, right?

I personally felt screwed over when I bought C&C 3 because I enjoyed the particular style of gameplay that previous C&C titles offerd ( I was "loyal to the brand" in the sense that I was willing to purchase games from them in the future simply because they had the C&C brand on them) only to realize that it was nowhere near the particular gameplay style that previous titles had.

This would be like if starcraft 2 came out and the game was actually diablo 3. I was expecting a game that was similar to starcraft 1 because it had starcraft in the freaking name. ( a bit extreme but shit going from base building to no base building whislt keeping the same brand name is a bit extreme)

A quick example about how silly it is to blame the consumer for destroying a brand: There's this particular brand of chicken wings I like. The seasoning is just right and the wings tend to have a lot of meat on them. You know what I would do if the company changed the wings' flavor or relative meatiness? I'd either accept it or move on. Any other option is shouting at the rain and deserves none of my time. Yelling at the people who continue to purchase the chicken wings, telling them how they are making an inferior choice and their continued purchase is sending the wrong picture to the company providing the product is silly, just like it is in the C&C/EA situation.

Your taking my post a little too seriously. Im not a raging fanboy that runs from forum to forum crying because C&C isnt like it used to be.

"I blame the people that bought..." includes me, I was dumb enough to buy a game based soley on brand as well. To me it felt like generals and 3 started moving in a different direction from the other C&C's and people actually buying them is the reason they put out 4 wich is just more of the same stuff, instead of trying to get back to what people originally liked about C&C.

In the end all that I got out of your post is that you think voting with your wallet is silly. We should just shut up and deal with whatever studios decide to put out. Our opinions as consumers do not matter.

Last edited:
I liked Generals, but yeah it had its fair share of problems I think Generals biggest issue was the CnC branding. It really didn't belong as part of the series, it didn't feel like it should be there. Still, I wouldn't be against the idea of a new one provided the team developed a new engine and spent time working on the various gameplay elements that brought down some of the fun of the original.

to bad the development team no longer exists.. the day CNC4 hit the market CNC development team was scrapped and they were all moved to different projects.. and the sad thing about this was that EA told them this the first week of the beta and yet they all had to sit there and deal with the beta full well knowing they were never going to work on a CNC game again.. pretty much tells you where EA sat with the CNC franchise..

In the end all that I got out of your post is that you think voting with your wallet is silly. We should just shut up and deal with whatever studios decide to put out. Our opinions as consumers do not matter.

I think his point was that some people actually liked those games.

to bad the development team no longer exists.. the day CNC4 hit the market CNC development team was scrapped and they were all moved to different projects.. and the sad thing about this was that EA told them this the first week of the beta and yet they all had to sit there and deal with the beta full well knowing they were never going to work on a CNC game again.. pretty much tells you where EA sat with the CNC franchise..

Yeah, though doesn't mean they won't form a new team at some point and a new team would be a good idea. I can't imagine they put that much effort into the final legs of the game knowing that they're team is being split apart like that.

Generals was awesome, the only problem was the game crashing with huge MP battles all the time.
C&C Generals will forever hold a place in my heart, partly attributed to the many hilarious cameos it made in the first season of Pure Pwnage.

"SCUDSTORM!!! BOOM!!! BOOM!!! BOOM!!!!!!"

Back