Bypassing need of cd... not what you think.

Raycaster

Limp Gawd
Hoping for a easy solution.

Bought 50 licensed copies of a dictionary program to be used in a classroom.
Great, but unfortunate 1/2 the pcs have inop cd-roms making the install a hassle. Luckly copying the files to a usb drive 350M and installed fine.

Next problem:

For some bizarre reason the program uses copy protection (securerom ) and needs the cd in to run. This isn't Crysis 3, photoshop or Autocad! just application software for ESL students.

Don't really have the money to repair all the pcs just to run this software.

This software is not available to be network installed so I'm kinda stuck here.

I was thinking of making it a thinapp but the protection gets in the way.

I could maybe mount it as an iso, network wide with tool deamon...

Every solution probably goes against its license agreement...

Anyone got an idea?

If you don't get a software solution, contact [H] member starhawk. He's got optical drives free for shipping here.....post # 3427

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you guys for the reply.

I was really afraid of the flames coming out with lectures of piracy etc. I in no way want to infringe on a EULA but seems impossible.

Daemon tools may be the way but the school boards LAN it very very restrictive. I think The Minister Of Education is needed just to ok a printer driver install.

Oh boy, welcome to the wonderful world of DRM. Where not only do you pay for software, but also for the ability for the creator to tell you when, where, and how you can use it. I guess that also falls in line with modern times where you don't own software, you merely license the ability to use it :rolleyes:.

/rant

Anyways. Solutions:

I'd be direct, just because of my instances I know it often goes nowhere. While it may be frowned upon here, since you bought the physical copies and are unable to use them in the way you need it shouldn't be as big of a deal. More hoops than anything. I'd use Clone CD/DVD to rip the disc in DAO-RAW mode to an ISO. Install Daemon-Tools Lite on each machine (or write instructions for students) and then configure the advanced options to include emulating SecureRom. Should work just fine and you can find plenty of guides on the Internet or on DT's forums.

Why developers even bother with that ancient, long ago broken system, is beyond me. I guess people pay them millions of dollars to create something broken instantly its released.

Alternatively you can try the more civil route, but don't expect miracles.

Talk to the developer and tell them your situation. See if they can work with you into creating a modified version for your specific purposes. Often times the solo developers do a much better job of this, but if it's a business don't expect them to bend over backwards.

Lastly, physical CD/DVD drives, or I guess you could try and virtualize it (probably would have saved you a ton of money lol). Those are the solutions I can immediately see. Don't be surprised if your hand is forced into being a cowboy. Just be aware it might be violating the developers EULA and or be unacceptable to your employer.

Can't you roll an slipstreamed image with the OS+daemontool'd ISO out to the machines?

Can't you roll an slipstreamed image with the OS+daemontool'd ISO out to the machines?

unfortunately that doesn't bypass the need to get the okay from the actual network owners, as OP has mentioned are stringent.

any used computer shops around that maybe you could see if they'd be willing to donate some drives if they have 'em available?

Contact whoever made the software and explain the situation to them. Maybe they have a special version for people with your needs.

Silly question... Would toting an external optical drive to each machine and installing be an option?

It would probably end up being no less of a pain that DT, but at least your employer lawyers wouldn't scream at you for tip toeing around copyright laws.

Silly question... Would toting an external optical drive to each machine and installing be an option?

He already mentioned that he has successfully installed the software. That's not the issue. The issue is running the software, as it has disk-checking DRM, and since a lot of the machines have bad optical drives, he can't simply leave CDs in these computers in order for the disk check to pass.

Daemon tools and iso mount on just the ones that don't work? Shouldn't even need 512mb to store it.

I was thinking mapped drive or network sharing the rom drives if a admin would allow that.

Back