Bypassing HP printer cartridge block

carlmart

Gawd
I have an HP 1000 which I regularly refill. I don't believe in or will buy any inkjet printer that will not allow that.

It's been about 10 times that I refilled this cartridge, but now I continuously get a warning that the cartridge is counterfeit and it doesn't let me go on with my printing.

Is there any way to bypass that block and print on?

Last edited:
Unfortunately the setup does not work with the HP1000 cartridge, which is model 122. PCB pin dots are different.

1. You can set the date back on your PC to a time before the printer stopped working, depending on the OS and driver setup that will allow you to print.

2. Many HP printers store their cartridge expiration timestamp and use an onboard button cell battery to remember if your cartridge has 'expired' and hence trigger the counterfit message. You can disassemble the printer, find the battery, and remove it.

3. Several people have sucessfully patched their HP printer drivers to disable the timestamp check.

See here and if that doesn't work here...

The printer ink business is an evvvil dirty dirty business now more than ever. HP and Lexmark both have introduced even more hefty anti-counterfit measures into their hardware and software. And we all know that by 'Anti-Counterfit' they really mean 'Fix it so that we can keep selling new ink cartridges for outrageous prices and ripping Joe Consumer off'.

To bypass HP's "Used or Counterfeit Cartridge Detected" prompt (which disrupts the immediate execution of your print command if you have placed a remanufactured cartridge in your printer), you can disable the "Enable Bidirectional Support" setting, as follows:

For systems which are running "Vista", Click the "Start" icon; Open "Control Panel"; Under "Hardware & Software", click on "Printer"; In printer panel, right click on Printer icon showing the printer you are using; In dialog box which appears, left click on "Properties"; in screen which appears for printer characteristics, left click on "Ports"; locate "Enable bidirectional support" in lower left corner of screen; disable this setting by "unchecking" the "Enable bidirectional support" box; click "Apply"; Click "OK" and close out panels. Disabling this feature will stop the repeated appearance of HP's screen prompt "Used or Counterfeit Cartridge Detected", and printer will work normally. Re-enable feature to allow automatic alignments, etc. (This problem arose with HP's model 2512 Deskjet printer)

How do I proceed on systems running Windows 7?

I tried above but steps or paths seem to be different.

Sorry I don't have the expertise to tell you what the differences are between Microsoft's Vista software and Windows 7.

But it seems to me that the solution really only involves getting to the operating system's "setting" that is designated as "Enable Bidirectional Support". This setting is activated as the default (factory issued) setting. When you "uncheck" it, I guess the system doesn't allow the printer to "talk" to the computer. The computer still talks to the printer because print commands are executed just as they were in the past.

You might try this: On your Windows Seven "Help" menu (the option which appears when you click on "Start"), key in "Bidirectional Support" on the search panel when the help screen comes up and see what appears. You might be able to go directly to this setting from the answers which come up in the dialog box. Otherwise, do a Google search either for just "Printer Bidirectional Support", or combine it with a search which includes "Windows Seven" Bidirectional Printer Support.

I have really enjoyed eliminating HP's prompt and finding what you need to find for Windows 7 will be well worth the effort.

I have this same problem on windows xp with my laserJetPro Mfp Mq27fw and I found the bidirectional thing but I cannot click on it .. it does not show its checked .. I see an unchecked box that I cannot check or uncheck ..

Back