bye bye emotion engine

http://tinyurl.com/3cf8b9

80GB PS3 to use Software emulation. Oh dear.

At first I remember thinking this was a disastrous idea, but in all truth, I think it's the smartest thing they could do. Once they have the kinks worked out, the emulated games should run as well as or better than they did on the actual hardware, and they should be able to comfortably deal with some post processing cleanup.

Most importantly, this will help the console become cheaper and eventually iterate into the PS3 Slim.

Or is that, "PSThree"? :p

I'm glade I spent the extra money when I did lol.... honestly its probably not going to be an issue... but that doesnt mean I'm getting rid of mine :)

yeah, it's not great, but I don't see it being a problem. Or rather, it WASN'T great at the time they made the change, supposedly it's improved with each firmware iteration since then.

In either case, I doubt it will make much noteworthy difference. Let's face it, people buy PS3's and 360's for PS3 and 360 games, not so they can play the same old games on a shinier box :p

I used to think it was a big deal, I was wrong. BC will be little more than a footnote in the end, just as it has been with PS2.

oh absolutely. but people should still be aware that these systems *are* different

oh absolutely. but people should still be aware that these systems *are* different

I think it's going to be limited to you, me, and the other geeks on this and similar boards who know :p. Joe Consumer's gonna look at us like we have three heads if we bother to tell him :D

Joe Consumer's gonna look at us like we have three heads if we bother to tell him :D
Dunno about that... it actually says that this version of the machine has limited backwards compatibility in fairly large writing on the side of the box.

Dunno about that... it actually says that this version of the machine has limited backwards compatibility in fairly large writing on the side of the box.

Probably like the X360, the BC library will probably grow over time....

Doesn't matter, Joe Consumer is, let's face it, one oblivious mutha'. It could say on the side of the box, "Made with leftovers from yo mamma's douchebags" and most people wouldn't even notice it :)

Probably like the X360, the BC library will probably grow over time....
In fairness the PS3 BC is quite a bit better than the 360s but there are still notable games missing from the list. Also, many of the "working" games have some severe problems which would ruin them for anyone that tried to play them again / for first time.

I wouldn't be surprised if they release a firmware update that forces all models to use software emulation.

I wouldn't be surprised if they release a firmware update that forces all models to use software emulation.
They already did... what do you think does the new upscaling in PS2 games now? :D

(Ok, it's not forcing it, but a lot of people are using it without realising)

Not that it would kill me to keep my ps2, it's just that I have a limited number of component cables on the back of my reciever, and I still do play my ps2 (currently guitar hero 2, Odin's sphere, GOW2). It would be nice if I could just get rid of (donate, ebay) my ps2, would give me extra space and save me from swapping cables everytime i want use a different system. By the time the good exclusives come out that make me want to upgrade to the ps3, i'll probably be done w/ the ps2 at that point, though.

They've allowed upscaling in PS2 games for the last few months...is that software or hardware based?

Back