Buying Win 7 & an ISO disk off an auction site.

Cally

Limp Gawd
I didn't want to post the auction site link for fear it was in violation of the tos.

I found this listing: MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit pro KEY + iso DISK

MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit pro KEY + iso DISK

MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit pro KEY + iso DISK

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

1. This is a genuine, full version.
2. This is meant to be a digital download, however I have already downloaded the file for you and burned it to a disk to make it more convenient for you.
3. I will mail you the Disk which contains your product and a genuine unused cd key. You will not receive any retail packaging.
4. The disk will be bootable and ready to be installed as soon as you get it, there will be no further downloading or burning for you to do.
5. The CD key is genuine and unused guaranteed!

I am running Win XP right now and wanted to have Win 7. The asking price is $25 w/$5 shipping. What I am concerned about is if this is a legal copy? I have a drive I was using with the beta version of Win 7. I planned on using it for a new install. Would all I have to do is have the iso disc in the player and boot up the machine? These new installs confuse the heck out of me.

That seems like someone is selling there free copy from a college. I know I got 2 copies from my school absolutely no cost in addition to being able to buy 2 copies from digital river. This is absolutely against MS ToS. It would be a risky proposition at best, warez at worst.

That's the thing: I wouldn't exactly trust software from eBay.

Last thing I bought software related off eBay was a OEM disc for Windows XP Pro SP2, and that came from a Dell computer.

Other times, you'll end up getting something burned onto a DVD-R or CD-R like a lot of the movies and music CDs you'd find on eBay. (And, many times are Hong Kong rips.)

As cheap or as affordable that deal may be, I'd recommend getting it from a more trusted online site like NewEgg or TigerDirect.

If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is. Unless you're getting a real COA, at best you're violating the TOS, at worst, you're just getting ripped off.

Well considering the guy was honest and upfront about the reason it's a burt disc, it sounds like a legit code. However, I'm sure it's not legal for him to be reselling this and agree it's probably a college version or one of those versions you get for being a student.

Would the student version be different from the retail version? If it isn't legit for him to sell it, is it legit for me to use it if I bought it? Just trying to understand my postion here.

The auction has ended, I didn't buy it.

Last edited:
I don't know about this specific license but most student licenses say that you must be a student using the software for school. Some of them prohibit you from using it for commercial purposes. Some of them require that you uninstall the software when you finish being a student. Some only allow you to have the software installed for the duration of the class that requires the software.

So, no. Unless you're actually a student, you're not in the clear running it. OTOH, if you're an alumnus with an active .edu account, I hear that the guys over at http://win++++++++/ don't really check things too closely...

I'm not going to take the chance. I may have to pay more but I'll buy a full instal copy.

Back