Buying tonight: x1650XT or 7900GT?

MiXdNuTs

Gawd
Like the title says I need to buy tonight. I am leaning towards the ATI card because I found it about $70 cheaper. I am open to any cards you have FS BTW. Also, any web links would be appreciated. PCI-E btw.
This system is for gaming and work. The card will be 256MB and will not be used in SLI or Crossfire.

Each day I don't have this system up costs me almost the price of buying a new card....

Yeah, if you're considering ATI, check out X1950Pro. It shouldn't be that much more expensive than X1650XT but it's much faster and in the 7900GT range.

how does it cost you everyday with out card? just buy a 20$ pci card then for now or buy a 7950gt http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130074 215 before 15$ mail in rebate.. i hate evga now but since its purchased at newegg it will have nice warranty.. id stay away from 7900gt's and minimum get a 7950gt i hear there are defects on 7900gt and below!! x1600 just sucks and id stay away from that too

how does it cost you everyday with out card? just buy a 20$ pci card then for now or buy a 7950gt http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130074 215 before 15$ mail in rebate.. i hate evga now but since its purchased at newegg it will have nice warranty.. id stay away from 7900gt's and minimum get a 7950gt i hear there are defects on 7900gt and below!! x1600 just sucks and id stay away from that too

WTF?

I don't know where this is coming from. The 7900GT works fine as do lower end Geforce 7 series cards. The X1650XT isn't super powerful card but I wouldn't say it sucks completely. Also the X1950Pro as mentioned earlier is a hell of a nice card and if the price is right, picking one up might be a good idea.

If you want to go with ATi and the X1950 Pro is a little pricey, Sapphire just released the X1950
GT. Same card as the Pro but it has lower core and memory speed which means it could be
a good overclocker.

Sapphire X1950 GT

I just recently purchased an XFX 7900 GS XXX and couldn't be happier with it coming from an LeadTek 6800LE which I was able to unlock with Riva Tuner.

I researched into the X1950PRO and really would have rather had one of those, but after looking at all the forums on Sapphire's site about overheating and the power draw I went with the XFX. Plus my power PSU was right at the cusp for the requirements. (Enermax 400W)

What ever you decide to get make sure to do your homework to avoid any buyer's remorse.

even if you picked two cards with comparable capabilities, i'd still pick NVidia for the drivers.

zv

I would too assuming the two cards were comparable. Unfortunately, it seems that given a specific price point, one dominates the other excessively.

x1600 just sucks and id stay away from that too

This is true, I know as unfortunately I own one:mad:

However, the op makes no mention of this card, therefore making this a moot point. The X1650XT is the card in question, and if I remember correctly this card was reviewed by [H] some time ago, and the review was not all that bad.

Plus, you can fold on the X16xx series cards:)

I would go for the 7900GT myself, but that's just my opinion.......

The X1650 XT is on par with the 7600 GT. The 7600 GT is roughly half of a 7900 GT.

OP, Did you choose a card yet?

I'd suggest the 7900GS, there usually cheaper than the GTs and only slightly slower.

hehe i posted that card and highly recommend it! also "DAN" i thought everyone knew that 7900gt and below had lots of diff defects! just because the one or two you own haven't messed up doesn't mean others don't and yours wont!

If you want to go with ATi and the X1950 Pro is a little pricey, Sapphire just released the X1950
GT. Same card as the Pro but it has lower core and memory speed which means it could be
a good overclocker.

Sapphire X1950 GT

That's a new one on me. I bet it's going to confuse the hell out of the people that have looked at the GT before. I was not aware of this release. Previous GTs were 90nm, no HDCP, no Crossfire fingers at the top of the card near the backplate, and were in fact, slower versions of x1950xt's that didn't make the XT bin.

hehe i posted that card and highly recommend it! also "DAN" i thought everyone knew that 7900gt and below had lots of diff defects! just because the one or two you own haven't messed up doesn't mean others don't and yours wont!

What defects? I've owned plenty of 7 series cards and I've installed tons more into machines for people. What "defects" are you talking about? The cards I've installed work perfectly.

Is this another unsubstantiated Intarweb rumor?

Brent, Mark, you video card guys ever heard of this?

7900GT's no longer have artifacting problems. Those were due to failing vRAM chips. i couldn't help but laugh when i saw this thread. X16xx anything isn't comparable to even the 7600GT's.... Anyway, for a low cost solution, i'd recommend a 7900GS. Overclocks like a mofo (does from around 7000 3dmarks on 05 to 9000-13000 after overclocks on air with a stock heatsink). That's one damn good use of 140 dollars. but if you don't want to deal with overclocking, a 7950GT would be the card to get if you want to spend a little more.

Back