Buying things on board, is paypal confirmed shipping address so important?

I'm from Ukraine originally and have problem with buying hardware here even with shipping address in US. I sent payment for 290$ and it was back to me, cause no confirmed us shipping address. Does it matter much? You get money, i get hardware with paying for delivery to my country (its my problem anyway, not yours). I feel like i'm scam or something not having confirmed us shipping address. After that i never had problems buying on ebay. Switched to hardforum and overclock.net just to buy cheaper, as i understand that seller dont pay that 10% to ebay, he will give me better price than there. Why so suspicious? :(

You automatically win "item not received" disputes without a confirmed address and you have no history on this forum. It is very easy for you to confirm your shipping address, you should do that.

I would never sell to anyone without a confirmed US address. Way too many scammers out there. As long as it is confirmed, and I get the money, I am fine with it. And I suspect most other sellers with a good reputation, are the same way.

Thanks for reply. Its not that easy, as i live in Ukraine and my credit card is ukrainian. So paypal wont let me make US shipping address as confirmed. I want to have "history" and heatware feedback, but how can i do that without making any deals :)

First, I am sorry for backing of our deal so late. I should have done my due diligence quicker. A combinatipn of factors presented too much risk for me.

1. Registered here same day you made offer to me
2. Uncomfirmed address
3. Payed using 2 different paypal accounts, 2nd didnt even have a shipping address.

A very common scam is using a stolen credit card and a reshipper. Who would ever go through with a deal under those circumstances? Especially for a $300 deal?

Thanks for reply. Its not that easy, as i live in Ukraine and my credit card is ukrainian. So paypal wont let me make US shipping address as confirmed. I want to have "history" and heatware feedback, but how can i do that without making any deals :)

Buying and selling on a European eBay portal will be best for you then. The shipping and customs fees from buying on forums will eat up any savings from the lack of eBay final value fee.

First, I am sorry for backing of our deal so late. I should have done my due diligence quicker. A combinatipn of factors presented too much risk for me.

1. Registered here same day you made offer to me
2. Uncomfirmed address
3. Payed using 2 different paypal accounts, 2nd didnt even have a shipping address.

A very common scam is using a stolen credit card and a reshipper. Who would ever go through with a deal under those circumstances? Especially for a $300 deal?

No one would.

I got your point. I couldnt pay from 1 pp account as i had not enough money on credit card. So i asked my friend to send you half of the sum. But i'm not a scammer, what should i do, so people can believe me and make deals?

PersonalJ not exactly. I make great savings from buying on ebay, and from forums i could make even more. Prices on european ebay is much more expensive :(

Last edited:
Any half-smart seller on the forum would have cancelled that deal.

Prophecylife, if you want to trade on the forums, you need to have a confirmed shipping address.

Americans have been the targets of foreign scammers for far too long. You need to realize this, and it's not just a matter of trust, it's a matter of history.

The only way I'd even consider selling to you is if you paid in bitcoin. There's no recourse for the buyer then if something goes wrong, but it's the only sure payment method where the seller doesn't have to worry about a scam buyer filing a credit card chargeback or paypal dispute.

The only possibility would be to start with smaller trades, and build credibility. But really, you said ebay works ok, so just stick with that. The few % you might save by using forums may be too difficult to attain.

I'm with the seller.
1) If you are in the US (US buyer) you are subject to US laws. Plus maybe someone on [H] can come to your house and shake you silly if you are a bad buyer / seller.

2) If you are unconfirmed with no fixed address / foreign address, you can file a dispute or reverse charges and it will be tough for the seller to do anything since you already have both the item and the money back (no one is flying to Eastern Europe to get something back - plane ticket cost is more than 90% value of crap sold on here).

As to how to get better standing? Use [H] for just hanging out, not just buying / selling. If you are on here for a few years, you will have better standing to make deals even without Paypal or confirmed address. Maybe buy/sell some things to other euro [H] members to build up a rep and of course build up your HEAT or eBay ratings. Those definitely don't hurt when you use them as a reference.

Register and buy on the same day from a foreign country using multiple paypal accounts = making you look like a Nigerian Prince.

dvsman thanks for info. I'm not Nigerian Prince :D I think everything's cleared up for me. Many thanks to everyone, who replied. Best regards.:)

Another suggestion in regards to that is instead of worrying about buying/selling/trading so quickly... spend some time on the forums, get your post count up, enjoy what else [H] has to offer. Once you have been around a bit and have the proper stats people might look at you a bit differently by seeing a post history and that you are a sincere member.

I've shipped to European countries before, but only if they pay me via western union or equivalent so there can be no chargeback/dispute. The buyer has to really trust my reputation though, as they have zero recourse.

I've shipped to European countries before, but only if they pay me via western union or equivalent so there can be no chargeback/dispute. The buyer has to really trust my reputation though, as they have zero recourse.
Its same as gift through paypal, am i right?
By the way, made first deal here, bought videocard and cpu from this thread. Next week will be here ;)

Last edited:
Gifted paypal has recourse, the buyer can claim that it was an unauthorized payment and get their money back. It literally impossible for the seller to have recourse because gifted payments are not meant for goods or services so what can you say as the seller? Nothing. Learned that one the hard way when I sold some bitcoin for gifted paypal thinking I was golden.

So I agree with whoever said to pay with bitcoin to known good sellers and build up your reputation/heatware account. After you get atleast ~30 positive feedback, most sellers will be willing to take a chance. 30 is my number anyway that I feel comfortable with.

Gifted paypal has recourse, the buyer can claim that it was an unauthorized payment and get their money back. It literally impossible for the seller to have recourse because gifted payments are not meant for goods or services so what can you say as the seller? Nothing. Learned that one the hard way when I sold some bitcoin for gifted paypal thinking I was golden.

So I agree with whoever said to pay with bitcoin to known good sellers and build up your reputation/heatware account. After you get atleast ~30 positive feedback, most sellers will be willing to take a chance. 30 is my number anyway that I feel comfortable with.

Don't be so sure, due to my carelessness a year or so ago, I didn't type the exact email addy for PP gift and flew through the PP screen. Money was gifted to someone it was not meant for, and after contacting PP about unauthorized payment, they basically told me to kick rocks and they were unable to do anything.

So anytime I see people post this stuff about gifts, it makes me cringe due to what had happened.

Don't be so sure, due to my carelessness a year or so ago, I didn't type the exact email addy for PP gift and flew through the PP screen. Money was gifted to someone it was not meant for, and after contacting PP about unauthorized payment, they basically told me to kick rocks and they were unable to do anything.

So anytime I see people post this stuff about gifts, it makes me cringe due to what had happened.

You authorized the payment, you made the mistake of not typing the address in correctly. Thats not the definition of an unauthorized payment and thats why you were denied.

Back