buying Shuttle PC -- sanity check

djstarfox

Gawd
Buying a SFF PC for living room. :D Opinions on the specs?

Purpose? Gaming;

Priorities? Balance performance; should be very quiet, cool :cool: when not gaming;

Applications? Rocksmith, Torchlight, Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, and so on;

Have so far?
* Western Digital 500 GB SATA II hard drive
* wired keyboard/mouse w/ extension cables and small rolling table
* 1080p TV

Specs so far?
* Shuttle SZ77R5 Intel Core i7 / i5 / i3 (LGA1155) Intel Socket H2(LGA1155) Intel Z77 Integrated in CPU 1 x HDMI Barebone
* G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH
* EVGA 01G-P4-3650-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video Card
* Intel Core i5-3450S Ivy Bridge 2.8GHz (3.5GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 65W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637I53450S
* Crucial M4 CT032M4SSD3 mSATA 32GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive

Looking for ideas?
* Wireless keyboard/mouse appropriate for gaming. :confused:

So the Shuttle is $350 for a case, mobo, cooler & PSU... You can buy a Silverstone SG05-450 ($130), the best mobo ($180 Asus P8Z77I-Deluxe), and a nice quiet cooler (~$45 Scythe Big Shuriken 2) - total $355. You could certainly save a pile of money ($80+) by going with an H series mobo that will still be better than the Shuttle.

Seems like building your own would be the way to go.

The Shuttle box is prettier. And it is very is easy to assemble. Only takes a few minutes. And some of us do not mind if stuff is a little expensive :cool:

Normally one would buy 1600 mhz RAM for a Z77 build. There will only be a very small performance gain ( hardly noticeable ) But they basically cost the same.

I would get a larger SSD. Also not sure why you choose a i5-3450S for a gaming computer. Just get a normal one would be my advice. I also think I would choose a different video card. But I don't want a huge AMD vs Nvidia battle So I wont tell you what to buy. But you could check out this article: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/11/12/fall_2012_gpu_driver_comparison_roundup

build quality and style
silverstone cases > shuttle cases

The Shuttle box is prettier. And it is very is easy to assemble. Only takes a few minutes. And some of us do not mind if stuff is a little expensive :cool:

I just threw out one example, there are plenty of other great looking ITX cases from Silverstone, Lian Li, & Fractal.

Hi,

as a long time Shuttle user, i must say, go for it.
Why?
A million reasons, but one of the best one is they are already pre built.
That alone will save you hours of your build.
I just put together a mitx system and it was such a pain in the ass to properly route cables and not to mention, the time used in researching the proper parts for the case.
This was done to replace my trusty and still working SX38, which recently turned 5 years old and still works without a hiccup.
Another thing to consider, the Shuttle will max at 32 GB of ram, instead of 16 as in any mitx board.
The most important reason should be how much you want to have a Shuttle and if the desire is very high, then, by all means, get it and enjoy it.

Back