Buying Ryzen? Share w/ us your upcoming build!

oh ok don't know yet about any AM4 boards just have to wait and see, but pretty sure Asus, MSI, all the major guys will have em.

I understand my current rig is still pretty viable however it's been about 2.5 going on 3 years on my current CPU/RAM/MOBO. I'd like to modernize my system to get the latest features and I'm really wanting an 8 core system. More and more games are taking advantage of the extra cores plus I'm kind of getting bored of my system and want something NEW with some fancy RGB lighting LOL. I just upgraded to some Corsair ML120 Red LED fans for my top quad radiator and back exhaust. I want to convert over to a red themed setup and getting a new MOBO/RAM/CPU combo with LEDs would really tickle my fancy! :woot:

I totally understand that. I just wanted to prepare you for the possible let-down that might occur :(

oh ok don't know yet about any AM4 boards just have to wait and see, but pretty sure Asus, MSI, all the major guys will have em.

Asus typically does, but MSI and Gigabyte mess it up somehow by either using a realtek or killer or making one 100m.

Asus typically does, but MSI and Gigabyte mess it up somehow by either using a realtek or killer or making one 100m.

Yes, I don't understand why they do this. I have an MSI x99 and it has one Intel LAN, and one realtek LAN. Why do they put two different LAN ports on them?

Yes, I don't understand why they do this. I have an MSI x99 and it has one Intel LAN, and one realtek LAN. Why do they put two different LAN ports on them?
To save money (one 10Gb and one 1Gb chip would be less expensive than two 10Gb chips, and possibly less than a single 10Gb duplex chip) or reduce complexity (and thus, cost of development).

To save money (one 10Gb and one 1Gb chip would be less expensive than two 10Gb chips, and possibly less than a single 10Gb duplex chip) or reduce complexity (and thus, cost of development).
There is zero reason to develop a consumer board with 10gE, if you absolutely want it then most the workstation boards have decent options. Honestly I'd rather add that feature unless I was running a server board.

Because of royalties and possible over stock of chips. It's easy to advertise a product over another competitor even if the integration sucks.

There is zero reason to develop a consumer board with 10gE, if you absolutely want it then most the workstation boards have decent options. Honestly I'd rather add that feature unless I was running a server board.
That's cool, I was just trying to answer his question...wasn't saying anything about why having it is necessary or not.

That said, if you have gigabit fiber, NAS with SSDs, and one of those $300 routers that can keep up, a single 1Gb port may choke where a 10Gb port wouldn't. Though, you'd have to be streaming or copying something large over the net and from your NAS at the same time to do it. I don't know of a home usecase for dual 10Gb.

That's cool, I was just trying to answer his question...wasn't saying anything about why having it is necessary or not.

That said, if you have gigabit fiber, NAS with SSDs, and one of those $300 routers that can keep up, a single 1Gb port may choke where a 10Gb port wouldn't. Though, you'd have to be streaming or copying something large over the net and from your NAS at the same time to do it. I don't know of a home usecase for dual 10Gb.

That's the exact scenario I hit when copying files between my NAS and my desktop over a 1Gb connection, pegs out at ~120mb/sec. Investigated Infiniband a few years back that got me ~5Gb, but the cpu usage when pegged with those cards back in 2011/2012 was horrendous.

Luckily I rarely need to copy large files anymore unless I'm prepping a new computer build.

While I am not going to be updating my build for a long time, I really interested in the new AMD releases over the coming weeks. Always exciting when a new product comes out. Looking forward to seeing what everyone is going to build.

I'll probably end up with the best 4c8t chip for OC/gaming. really dig the taichi boards from asrock

Just bought another 1TB Intel 600P M2 drive (pcie3 x4). Great deal so it will wait on my shelf now with a copy of Win 10. Now all I need to do to upgrade is a mobo, cpu, ram, maybe a new cooler. When will depend more on AMD and AIBs in how they perform and lack of problems. Intel X299 may win the day if too many issues with RyZen and platform.

Definitely the Ryzen 7 1700X.

Any suggestions as to which motherboard I should get?

I tend to keep my computer for a long time (at least the motherboard and processor) so I need a motherboard that will last.

I am NOT looking for an overclocking champion.

if you want to overclock any amount ya gotta get B or X level motherboards. Sounds like a B level is what you are looking for, for the time being just have to wait and see what the motherboards are capable of, since there are no reviews yet ;)

if you want to overclock any amount ya gotta get B or X level motherboards. Sounds like a B level is what you are looking for, for the time being just have to wait and see what the motherboards are capable of, since there are no reviews yet ;)

X370 supports SLI/CrossFire while B350 doesn't.

I definitely won't be ordering Day 1 since I want to see how reliable these motherboards are.

X370 supports SLI/CrossFire while B350 doesn't.

I definitely won't be ordering Day 1 since I want to see how reliable these motherboards are.
I don't see the X370 as a long term SLI/CFX or multi gpu solution -> 8x/8x PCIe 3 will eventually show limitations. Already with 2x TitanX that has been shown (can't find the link at the moment). Faster GPU's in the future will need more bandwidth. Now I do believe one GPU for the next 3-5 years will not be limited by 16X PCIe 3. So for current generation and upcoming AMD generation, multi-GPU should be fine with X370 is my thoughts. Plus if you don't use top end cards that would probably extend to the following generation as well.

The ASRock B350 boards seem to have the most power phases with 9+2, vs the competition that ranges from 5-7... The ASUS B350-Plus is supposedly only $89, but the battery placement is kind of wonky.

upload_2017-2-20_22-21-46.png

Last edited:
I was frankly impressed with the Asrock lineup, they all have at least 9+2 phases, even the lower A320 models (compare that to the other manufacturers who have as low as 5 phases...) I'm impressed by Asrock on this one. I've read they're trying to go up in the quality ladder, and this is a commendable effort:
upload_2017-2-21_8-1-32.png

You can clearly see the 6+3+2 phases in this picture of the low A320 model. This may end up being what I buy for my budget gaming build (+ R5 1300 4C/8T, 8GB DDR4 2400mhz):

upload_2017-2-21_8-2-39.png

Last edited:
Only two boards that I've seen have 8 pin + 4 pin power connectors for extra cpu power. One Asus and one MSI. Those may make a difference for really pushing the limits of the 8 core cpus.
Also in the past some board makers had some sort of doubling thing going on with the phases to make things look better than what they really were. Some boards that looked like they had 8 phase were really 4 with some doubling BS. They didn't perform like other boards that really had 8 true phases.
We'll need to wait for reviews and personal experience to see what really works and what doesn't.

Also in the past some board makers had some sort of doubling thing going on with the phases to make things look better than what they really were. Some boards that looked like they had 8 phase were really 4 with some doubling BS. They didn't perform like other boards that really had 8 true phases.

Thanks, that's good to know. I was surprised to see AsRock suddenly getting so much better while Asus/MSI offer less phases for a similar price on the low end. We'll see when the products come out, but right now I'm waiting to decide between ASROCK A320M PRO4, MSI A320M PRO-VD and Asus Prime B350M-A. I only consider mATX boards, so it's a more limited landscape options-wise.

Is Microcenters employees really that uninformed about the products that they sell? (Or do some just not care?) I call one to see what they can tell me about the Ryzen release, whether they are going to have any on March 2nd or at the very least, when online purchases for in store pickup might be available. Now, with the NDA, I figured he could not tell me much but, he says they are not told anything and will not know until the day of the release itself.

The person then went on to claim in could be 2 weeks before they get anything. I asked him when the release date of the 7700k was and when they started selling it. I had to push him along to just look that information up and he really did not seem like he wanted to be bothered. I even asked him if they start selling stuff at the same time as Amazon and Newegg and he could not even be bothered to research that.

Maybe they have a Business desk like the old CompUSA that actually know what they are talking about? Yes, I know the NDA but dam, it was almost worse than pulling teeth with this guy. If Microcenter cannot say anything even after the NDA is lifted, I may need to buy from Newegg and have it shipped overnight instead.

Thanks, that's good to know. I was surprised to see AsRock suddenly getting so much better while Asus/MSI offer less phases for a similar price on the low end. We'll see when the products come out, but right now I'm waiting to decide between ASROCK A320M PRO4, MSI A320M PRO-VD and Asus Prime B350M-A. I only consider mATX boards, so it's a more limited landscape options-wise.

Well, I should be a bit more careful with what I say. I didn't mean to say Asrock is bad, or that they did those things. I remember MSI doing that and they had AM3+ boards that burned up early on with Bulldozer, but that was with cheaper boards. Asrock may be getting better and may not have pulled those things, but when one company does stuff like that it makes me paranoid. I just want to wait on some reviews. Things just aren't always what they seem and I'm no expert, especially with a new platform like this. It's hard to tell what will be good and what will not.

Is Microcenters employees really that uninformed about the products that they sell? (Or do some just not care?) I call one to see what they can tell me about the Ryzen release, whether they are going to have any on March 2nd or at the very least, when online purchases for in store pickup might be available. Now, with the NDA, I figured he could not tell me much but, he says they are not told anything and will not know until the day of the release itself.

The person then went on to claim in could be 2 weeks before they get anything. I asked him when the release date of the 7700k was and when they started selling it. I had to push him along to just look that information up and he really did not seem like he wanted to be bothered. I even asked him if they start selling stuff at the same time as Amazon and Newegg and he could not even be bothered to research that.

Maybe they have a Business desk like the old CompUSA that actually know what they are talking about? Yes, I know the NDA but dam, it was almost worse than pulling teeth with this guy.

Those sales guys are on commission somehow so getting info for us won't pay them anything. Some really are pretty bad though, I know from some crap I've heard. I was at a local store a few months ago and one sales guy was telling a person that a GTX 1050 Ti had a cut down Titan gpu. He said that was what the Ti in the part number was for. I just about puked right there in the isle. I was an isle or two away and decided not to go correct him. I should have, but I stayed out of it.

There was a thread on reddit from a guy who worked at a Microcenter: He mentioned about how he was looking at the eLearning and didn't see anything, but that was January. Not a lot of info there.

ASRock hasn't gotten any better, they still use low end components and double their phases to make the marketing sound better than it is. I'm not saying they have bad boards, I've used lots of them with good success. But they've always been big on doubling so they can put a big number on the box, but in reality a Gigabyte or Asus board with less phases can still deliver more power at a higher temp.

ASRock hasn't gotten any better, they still use low end components and double their phases to make the marketing sound better than it is. I'm not saying they have bad boards, I've used lots of them with good success. But they've always been big on doubling so they can put a big number on the box, but in reality a Gigabyte or Asus board with less phases can still deliver more power at a higher temp.

Again, thanks for the info. Truth be told, I've only had 1 AsRock motherboard 6 years ago when I got an i5 2500, and that's the only motherboard that's died on me (after 3 years of use), ever, so I'm not super sure I want to buy from them again.

As long as MSI/Asus release mATX boards for ~$60 (and it seems the MSI A320M PRO-VD will cost about that much), I'll probably go that route (currently running Asus and happy with it, have had Asus before too). Any opinions on other trusted board-makers? I don't know what to think about Biostar and Gigabyte.

If Corsair doesn't have a bracket kit available for the H115i when the Ryzen comes out then I may have to go with plan B. Use the stock cooler it comes with and leave it at stock speeds. Until the situation is resolved.

Well, I now have my NM-AM4 mounting kit sitting here on my work desk. Come on AMD, get this stuff released already! :D

Only two boards that I've seen have 8 pin + 4 pin power connectors for extra cpu power. One Asus and one MSI. Those may make a difference for really pushing the limits of the 8 core cpus.
We'll need to wait for reviews and personal experience to see what really works and what doesn't.

Iirc, most motherboard manufacturers since z97 (x99 being one of the exceptions), have been using cheaper vrms. The quality of the phases matters more than the quantity.

To those who are drooling over the Crosshair VI Hero, I have a question...

I am liking the MSI Titanium as I mentioned, though that $300 price sucks, but nevertheless... The big thing that I saw and liked with the Titanium is that it has two m.2 slots, still has that uber SuperSATA (whatever it's called) port/s, and apparently DDR4-4000+ support. While that memory support I'm not going to put too much stock in as I think it's speculation based off the Intel counterpart, this is what I'm wondering:
Is having Wireless AC, that rear "m.2 key" port thing, and superior onboard audio on the Hero more important to you than having the two m.2 slots (one being Turbo) that the Titanium offers?

I hadn't personally heard about that external m.2 before, so I question how much use it'll ever have in the real world compared to 'standard' m.2 slots. To me it's almost like eSATA which never really went anywhere and USB3 basically made irrelevant.
The inclusion of Wireless AC is nice, but I suspect almost everyone will use the NIC for connecting to the network. Is it just 'icing' for you?
The onboard audio is kinda like the WiFi to me as well. I would've rather seen that all packed on the SupremeFX card they used to make, making it a PCIe x1 card you had the choice of using. Granted they ALL have put emphasis on the audio, I think ASUS particularly did and it makes me wonder if it'll end up meaning some other components suffer due to offsetting the cost... I have a Xonar Xense, but due to my audio arrangement have been using HDMI audio from my R9 390, and know most others don't bother with onboard either.

That being said, in addition to the above, are there other factors that have you liking the Hero over the Titanium? Or is it simply brand preference?

I personally never had an issues with the last ASRock board I had other than vdroop, the name brand equivalents at the time suffered from it as well, it was an 880G.
Yeah, but now you have me thinking about this board and a 1700 for my personal work computer.
I'm kind of curious what the B350-Prime is like for the money, I mean if it dies not a big deal, pair it with a 1600X and viola.

I really want to see what the Biostar's wind up costing, they were cheap and good oc'ers back in the Phenom II days, I can tell from the pictures I see the ASUS Prime has a much thicker PCB though.

Biostar GT5
upload_2017-2-21_18-43-28.png

Iirc, most motherboard manufacturers since z97 (x99 being one of the exceptions), have been using cheaper vrms. The quality of the phases matters more than the quantity.
I agree, especially when you need to draw large power chunks. Intel CPUs have low power requirements so you saw makers like MSI dump a bunch of cheap MB's out with great OC potential.

My $60 PC Mate could OC anything above 4.4ghz easy.

I don`t know why Asus ROG has only a few AMD models :/
I have bought the new i5 7600k and maximus IX code 2 weeks ago and I am thinking to move to AMD with this CPU price/performance.

Back