Buying Ryzen? Share w/ us your upcoming build!

To those who are drooling over the Crosshair VI Hero, I have a question...

I am liking the MSI Titanium as I mentioned, though that $300 price sucks, but nevertheless... The big thing that I saw and liked with the Titanium is that it has two m.2 slots, still has that uber SuperSATA (whatever it's called) port/s, and apparently DDR4-4000+ support. While that memory support I'm not going to put too much stock in as I think it's speculation based off the Intel counterpart, this is what I'm wondering:
Is having Wireless AC, that rear "m.2 key" port thing, and superior onboard audio on the Hero more important to you than having the two m.2 slots (one being Turbo) that the Titanium offers?

I hadn't personally heard about that external m.2 before, so I question how much use it'll ever have in the real world compared to 'standard' m.2 slots. To me it's almost like eSATA which never really went anywhere and USB3 basically made irrelevant.
The inclusion of Wireless AC is nice, but I suspect almost everyone will use the NIC for connecting to the network. Is it just 'icing' for you?
The onboard audio is kinda like the WiFi to me as well. I would've rather seen that all packed on the SupremeFX card they used to make, making it a PCIe x1 card you had the choice of using. Granted they ALL have put emphasis on the audio, I think ASUS particularly did and it makes me wonder if it'll end up meaning some other components suffer due to offsetting the cost... I have a Xonar Xense, but due to my audio arrangement have been using HDMI audio from my R9 390, and know most others don't bother with onboard either.

That being said, in addition to the above, are there other factors that have you liking the Hero over the Titanium? Or is it simply brand preference?

The problems with ram placing an order now and gambling on the motherboard not having any workable solution ram wise is a terrible idea (not being able to get high enough or downright incompatible).. Also a little bit baffled about the NDA lifting for motherboards the same day as the cpu. You more or less have to wait.
I'm keeping track of this thread where some of the folks at XS are testing a bunch of kits http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?292937-Ryzen-and-memory

The wireless and external m.2 is not something I will base my purchase on.

MSI is not known for their great AM3+ line but I thought some folks at [H] were pretty impressed with one or more of the Intel ones. Still have to see what is going on with Gigabyte.

Last edited:
The problems with ram placing an order now and gambling on the motherboard not having any workable solution ram wise is a terrible idea (not being able to get high enough or downright incompatible).. Also a little bit baffled about the NDA lifting for motherboards the same day as the cpu. You more or less have to wait.
I'm keeping track of this thread http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?292937-Ryzen-and-memory

The wireless and external m.2 is not something I will base my purchase on.

MSI is not known for their great AM3+ line but I thought some folks at [H] were pretty impressed with one or more of the Intel ones. Still have to see what is going on with Gigabyte.

I'm really wondering about the memory compatibility as well, historically AMD has had really poor IMC compared to Intel although it looks like they worked very hard on it this time. I saved a 3200 C14 kit from my 6600k build, I figure I can get the machine running on default 2133 or 2400 if I have to and wait for more kits to come out.

Also, xtremesystems is loaded with fucking malware, 2 minutes on that site and I'm getting the stupid takeover pages telling me to call a number to remove the spyware.

I'm really wondering about the memory compatibility as well, historically AMD has had really poor IMC compared to Intel although it looks like they worked very hard on it this time. I saved a 3200 C14 kit from my 6600k build, I figure I can get the machine running on default 2133 or 2400 if I have to and wait for more kits to come out.

Also, xtremesystems is loaded with fucking malware, 2 minutes on that site and I'm getting the stupid takeover pages telling me to call a number to remove the spyware.

I run with everything disabled for all websites. But if there is any decent information I can just quote it in a new thread about memory testing

Last edited:
I AM SO TORN.... :( lol

$299 for the MSI Titanium
$255 for the ASUS ROG Hero

The 1700X being $399 is that small, extra ouch, but not sooo bad. I mean I'm amazed that the Hero is that much cheaper than the Titanium.

Waiting on ITX boards to hit the street, as well as dual processor boards. I'll upgrade my SteamBox and server to Zen, just to keep AMD kicking.

Well I saw the good stuff sold out on NewEgg, and so I just said screw it and didn't waffle while on Amazon; bought the 1700X and the MSI Titanium.

Unfortunately the TridentZ DDR4 I wanted to get, the White on Gray color, was not the Samsung chips that have straight timings (ie 16-16-16), and were I assume Micron (16-18-18). So after painfully looking for even Black of Gray or White on Black with no luck or $150-60 prices, I went with Gold on Black for $119 ($130 after tax). Oh well :p They're the 3200MHz at least, and if they even do 1/2 of what Pieter's linked article RAM achieved (4133), I should get a decent overclock out of them heh

However, the biggest nag besides the combined $90 in tax (man I miss not being taxed from online purchases) is the fact there wasn't a with-heatsink model :( I was kinda banking on them coming with one so that I'd be able to run it right away. Now I have to scramble to find an adapter for one of the heatsinks I have, which I suspect due to age none will have <_>

Still 10 days away till they ship! Anyone else excited?? :D (though I'm really hoping they ship early so we can HAVE them by the 2nd...)

Well I saw the good stuff sold out on NewEgg, and so I just said screw it and didn't waffle while on Amazon; bought the 1700X and the MSI Titanium.

Unfortunately the TridentZ DDR4 I wanted to get, the White on Gray color, was not the Samsung chips that have straight timings (ie 16-16-16), and were I assume Micron (16-18-18). So after painfully looking for even Black of Gray or White on Black with no luck or $150-60 prices, I went with Gold on Black for $119 ($130 after tax). Oh well :p They're the 3200MHz at least, and if they even do 1/2 of what Pieter's linked article RAM achieved (4133), I should get a decent overclock out of them heh

However, the biggest nag besides the combined $90 in tax (man I miss not being taxed from online purchases) is the fact there wasn't a with-heatsink model :( I was kinda banking on them coming with one so that I'd be able to run it right away. Now I have to scramble to find an adapter for one of the heatsinks I have, which I suspect due to age none will have <_>

Still 10 days away till they ship! Anyone else excited?? :D (though I'm really hoping they ship early so we can HAVE them by the 2nd...)

Super excited here as well - bought a new case, power supply, nzxt kraken x62 and rgb fans about a month ago - 10 days will fly by for sure.

On a side note for those wondering, nzxt's twitter confirmed AM4 adapters for their AIO Kraken coolers are being finalized now.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Prosessor
ASUS Prime B350M-A, Socket-AM4
Fractal Design R3 140mm Silent Vifte
Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 16GB

Budget!

But I don't game mainly, and I just can't pass up the value regardless.
And kyle's taunt just haunted me, I tell ya, Haunted me!

I haven't seen kyle enthusiastic about AMD cpu's in about 6-8 years so... here we go!

If the real world performance is as good as preliminary benchmarks suggest, I'm definitely interested in building a NAS, plex server transcode, and stream encoding system with a 1800X/1700X.

Kind of curious about the bottom of the stack. If things are fairly close on thread performance, that $130 R3 1100 is the equivalent of an i5 6400. If that holds true, that will be the fundamental shift from Ryzen. The total demolition of the i3 line with the lowest spec chip in the stack.

There's been so much focus on what this release is doing to the top of the stack, no one is looking/talking about what the new entry point would be. Reviews have been popping up lately how the i3 Kaby is largely a waste because of pricing (the HT Pentium is too good and the i5 6400 is too cheap). Well, now we're looking at the i5 performance level dropping down to the entry level i3 performance price.

It'll be an interesting spring for releases and reactions.

I was originally thinking I would sit tight, but who am I kidding?

Looks like I'll be going with the Ryzen 1800X and an MSI Titanium. Getting a Samsung M.2 512GB for OS/programs and a 2TB Crucial SSD for games. Thinking an all SSD system will kill it.

Sadly I was hoping Vega would be ready (and I was considering waiting) but may just go with RX 480 Crossfire for now and then sell once Vega comes.

I haven't been this excited for hardware in a while, AMD IS BACK!!!!

I went with 1700x + Asus Prime B350-Plus. I am not going to run SLI / CrossFire and only looking for a possible mild overclock.

My current system is running an i7-870 at stock speed (because it became unreliable at overclock). Now tt fails to POST sometimes. This will be a major upgrade in the CPU department.

Went 1700 with an Asus Prime Plus b350 as a more budget oriented purchase. I don't plan to go crazy with OC but I'm sure the board will be able to hit at least 1800x numbers which is more than good enough for me. I've been itching for upgrade but x99 was just a huge disappointment at the cost for performance. Always was more of an underdog fan so glad I can return to AMD. Amazon preorder was placed around 12 pst so hoping I get mine.

On a side note for those wondering, nzxt's twitter confirmed AM4 adapters for their AIO Kraken coolers are being finalized now.

I saw this but I'm not sure I have the patience to wait for them to get a bracket out. They said middle of the month or something. I'll be two weeks into staring at the rest of the hardware by that time.

As much as I hate Corsair Link as a software package they might just get me anyway since they have a few already compatible models.

im 100% jumping to ryzen. Im torn between the 1700 and the 1700x. Im on a serious budget but my PC is due for an upgrade. Im curious what numbers come out of the 1700 OC'd.

My build
Ryzen 1700x
GIGABYTE GA-AB350-GAMING 3 (since as best as I can tell X370 just means multi GPU support and 2 extra SATA ports I'll never use)
Mushkin Enhance Blackline 32GB DDR4 2400 (since I've never had any luck with RAM over standard speeds ever since SDR PC 150 was a thing)
+other junk I already have

My build
Ryzen 1700x
GIGABYTE GA-AB350-GAMING 3 (since as best as I can tell X370 just means multi GPU support and 2 extra SATA ports I'll never use)
Mushkin Enhance Blackline 32GB DDR4 2400 (since I've never had any luck with RAM over standard speeds ever since SDR PC 150 was a thing)

Did you check the memory support list on gigabyte website ?

My build
Ryzen 1700x

You get better power phases with X370 boards as well. see: http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-am4-motherboard-round-up-msi-gigabyte-asrock-asus-x370/

On topic, I ordered the following:
  • Ryzen 1700X
  • MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (10 power phase and labeled as support for DDR4 3200)
  • GSkill 16 GB DDR4 3000 @ 15-15-15-35 CAS 15
  • Noctua is sending the Ryzen Mount for my NH-D14
Of course when the reviews show up it it doesn't perform acceptably then the pre-orders will be canceled, however from what I've seen I don't expect it to be a let down. Most of my workloads do better with multiple cores, so as long as the performance per clock is haswell level or better it will work for me.

I was originally thinking I would sit tight, but who am I kidding?

Looks like I'll be going with the Ryzen 1800X and an MSI Titanium. Getting a Samsung M.2 512GB for OS/programs and a 2TB Crucial SSD for games. Thinking an all SSD system will kill it.

Sadly I was hoping Vega would be ready (and I was considering waiting) but may just go with RX 480 Crossfire for now and then sell once Vega comes.

I haven't been this excited for hardware in a while, AMD IS BACK!!!!
*high five* on AMD being back. While on [H] it's not so much the case, but I know a lot of other non-enthusiast places/people have only been in the game long enough to see AMD always being second string to Intel, which wasn't always the case. Athlon 64 was king. The Athlon XP before that, and the Athlon (Classic) before that! :D

Anyways, actual reason for quoting is: If you're waiting for Vega, which is understandable, why oh why would you go Rx 480 when you have two GTX 1080s right now?
Or is this build going to be a separate system and not a replacement for what's in your sig? If so... ignore me lol However, you could save some money by splitting up that 1080 pair for a couple months, running one in each system till Vega arrives.

I saw this but I'm not sure I have the patience to wait for them to get a bracket out. They said middle of the month or something. I'll be two weeks into staring at the rest of the hardware by that time.

As much as I hate Corsair Link as a software package they might just get me anyway since they have a few already compatible models.
Personally I have to commend AMD on a decent job with Ryzen launch... except for one glaring issue.... and it's cooler availability/support *shakes head*. It's like the cooler manufacturers didn't get the memo... Unless it was that the AM4 mounting holes weren't 100% set in stone util recently (like within a month). But in all honesty, it seems like a total undersight by AMD no matter how you slice it. They (cooler makers) could've at least gone the route of Corsair with their stock-bracket retention system on their AOI water coolers. Funnily enough the only adapter kits that you CAN get and have on hand when Ryzen arrives, seems to be either Noctua or Cryorig (SP?) made. One being a big name, one not-so-much. Thermalright and EVGA have announced ones, but I can't find them yet (I'm interested in the EVGA one since it is the round-gear style pump like my Tt Water2.0 Pro and am hoping it'll work on it). Corsair has announced too but similarly their kits are who-knows-where, but that's not surprising since they have models on the market with support... so they just want to move units to make money, versus send out free adapters. :\

Oh well... I found one of my aftermarket (lower end) coolers that uses the AMD brackets, so I'll at least be able to use my Ryzen when it comes, until I can fabricate or buy something for one of my other coolers. :p

Gigabyte seems to be using fewer phases than most on the X370 boards but more than most on the 350s.

Allegedly the GA-AB350-GAMING 3 has as a 7+1 arrangement and their 370 board has 10 so not a huge difference between those two.
Asus use 12 and ASRock uses 16(!) on their X370 boards.
Of course the design of the phase circuitry makes a big difference. Higher quality components can easily be the deciding factor.

I'm not expecting any B350 board to set OC records but I think the GA-AB350-GAMING 3 will be pretty solid for boost/XFR

It could be the proxy here at work interfering but I can't get to the asus memory support list on the crosshair. Anyone have a direct link please?

It could be the proxy here at work interfering but I can't get to the asus memory support list on the crosshair. Anyone have a direct link please?
Either something's wrong with my Chrome, or there isn't anything TO see...?
https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_QVL/
CVIHero QVL.png

EDIT: Same results in IE (actual IE, not Edge)

Case: Be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
PSU: Seasonic 850W Prime
Processor: Ryzen R7 1700X (Pre-ordered; will only cancel if review show that 1800x offers more OCing headroom)
GPU: MSI RX480 4gb (Waiting for Vega)
Motherboard: TBD (Waiting for reviews)
Ram: TBD (Waiting for reviews)
Radiators: Nemesis GTS 280mm and EK CE420mm
Reservoir: Heatkiller Tube 150
Waterblock: Heatkiller IV Pro - Nickel
Pump: Alphacool VPP755
Fans: 6x Be quiet! Silent Wings 3 (1,000 rpm)

SSD: Mushkin Reactor - 1TB
NVME: TBD (BPX or 960 Evo)
HDD: 3x HGST 3TB, 1x Samsung 2TB (SnapRAID)

just purchased the asus x370 mobo and 1700x off amazon with the 120mm noctua cooler off newegg. Hoping all goes well, but man that ugly brown color kills me.

A question since there's so many damned reviews out there.

I'm looking to update my PSU for Ryzen. I'm currently running a Corsair RM650 with my i7-4770K @4.3ghz and Fury GPU. It's pretty high quality, and I don't know if I push it far enough for the fan to kick on.

I know people usually recommend higher wattage, and I'm not sure why I saved $30 at the time and went with the lesser capacity.

Is something in the 850+ watt range worthwhile if I'm doing a mild OC on Ryzen 1800X when combined with an undervolted Fury (~225 watts max)?

If so, do you have any recommendations on similar silent-fan type PSU's or should I just snag the 850watt version of the same PSU?

I should think you'd be fine with what you have. AMD reported 115W at the wall for a 1700 non-x under load. That's ~100w on the DC side (90%efficiency) and includes discrete graphics, storage, and fans. Probably the CPU/MB/RAM in that setup weigh in at 70-80w which sounds about right for a 65w TDP proc.

With an overclocked 1800x you are adding at least 30w but I don't imagine you'd push 200w for CPU/MB/RAM unless you start bumping the voltages. That leaves plenty left for the Fury and Corsair should be good enough to run 70% of total capacity 24/7

@Magic Hate Ball: I'm with ecmaster. I think your PSU will be more than enough. I'd call your system using at least 350W currently under max load based on [H]'s own review (using an i5 6600K), so roughly 1/2 your PSU. And unless you have horrible airflow or let that system run under load for many hours a day, many days a week, then even after 4 years I'm sure it's just fine.

Fury.png

Edit # 1 : There is no stock where I've placed my pre-order so I have cancelled everything for now. I will reorder when NCIX has stock and can provide a firm ETA (It's likely I'll go with the Asus ROG board instead of the MSI). At least it will give me time to look at more reviews...

Edit # 2 : Got lucky and found the Asus ROG in stock at Newegg. It ships from Canada so I should have it this Friday (April 7th). I'm also waiting for the Gigabyte K7 (also ordered from Newegg but that one ships from the US). The memory (G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB F4-3200C14D-16GFX) should arrive on Monday with the CPU.

I've just pre-ordered (because why the hell not!) the following:

AMD Ryzen R7 1800X
MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H60

I'll reuse the following:

Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum Series 16GB DDR4-2666
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FE
Samsung 950 Pro 256GB NVMe
2x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
Seasonic SS-1050XP3
CaseLabs Mercury S8S case

Last edited:
Personally I have to commend AMD on a decent job with Ryzen launch... except for one glaring issue.... and it's cooler availability/support *shakes head*.
I know it doesn't help people who already have coolers that they'd like to use, but there are one or two coolers that have been on newegg for at least a week now (one cooler and one adapter bracket, iirc).

I figured that I had not built a new computer in nearly 7 years, and it may be that long before I build another one. Changed my order to

New:
1700x + ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero
EVGA Supernova G2 750W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO M.2 2280 250GB
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3200
Coolermaster 912 HAF Case

Reuse:
1060GTX
SSDs / HDD

Future:
Maybe watercooling

Last edited:
Anyways, actual reason for quoting is: If you're waiting for Vega, which is understandable, why oh why would you go Rx 480 when you have two GTX 1080s right now?
Or is this build going to be a separate system and not a replacement for what's in your sig? If so... ignore me lol However, you could save some money by splitting up that 1080 pair for a couple months, running one in each system till Vega arrives.
Right, well this won't be a replacement for my sig rig (which is already beefy and not need for replacement). This will be an extra computer that will take the place of a super old Core2Duo machine I have sitting and never use. The reason for getting the 480's rather than something better from Nvidia (or splitting my 1080s) is that I do hobby game development and AMD cards have better architecture for DirectX12 and Vulkan and I'd like to start testing in preparation for Vega. Not too concerned about the cost, as I can likely sell the 480s in a few months with minimal loss.

Personally I have to commend AMD on a decent job with Ryzen launch... except for one glaring issue.... and it's cooler availability/support *shakes head*.
Yeah, this is probably the only thing that looks like a botch in an otherwise perfect pre-launch. Sites like Newegg didn't even have AM4 compatibility as a search option. I had to crawl various forum threads and random blog posts to find what was compatible. Even then, the choices were slim. Most companies pledged to have adapter brackets available but you had to email them with proof of purchase and then wait however long it takes to ship. It would have been better if cooler companies just released the adapters for sale (even for $5 or whatever) immediately, which I would have preferred to having to email and wait. Or re-launched updated coolers specifically for AM4, but I'm sure that's coming. Luckily a bunch of the Corsair AIOs already had AM4 compatibility so I went with them.

I know it doesn't help people who already have coolers that they'd like to use, but there are one or two coolers that have been on newegg for at least a week now (one cooler and one adapter bracket, iirc).
Granted, there are some out there that do already work, and some with adapters already available. I guess I just expected a bit more from such a large launch. Like, I've never seen so many different motherboards available for AMD at a launch like there is here, so I sort of assumed that cooling makers would've been all over this with everything ready as well. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the "AM4" that launched last fall in systems with Carrizo chips was the same bracketry as we're dealing with now, so I find there's really no excuse. :p

Right, well this won't be a replacement for my sig rig (which is already beefy and not need for replacement). This will be an extra computer that will take the place of a super old Core2Duo machine I have sitting and never use. The reason for getting the 480's rather than something better from Nvidia (or splitting my 1080s) is that I do hobby game development and AMD cards have better architecture for DirectX12 and Vulkan and I'd like to start testing in preparation for Vega. Not too concerned about the cost, as I can likely sell the 480s in a few months with minimal loss.

Yeah, this is probably the only thing that looks like a botch in an otherwise perfect pre-launch. Sites like Newegg didn't even have AM4 compatibility as a search option. I had to crawl various forum threads and random blog posts to find what was compatible. Even then, the choices were slim. Most companies pledged to have adapter brackets available but you had to email them with proof of purchase and then wait however long it takes to ship. It would have been better if cooler companies just released the adapters for sale (even for $5 or whatever) immediately, which I would have preferred to having to email and wait. Or re-launched updated coolers specifically for AM4, but I'm sure that's coming. Luckily a bunch of the Corsair AIOs already had AM4 compatibility so I went with them.

Fair enough reason on the cards. nV's DX12 performance in some titles has indeed been peculiar.

And yea, couldn't agree more. Like I could understand having to email them with PoP to get it for free, but as you said, they could've at least offered them for sale as well, or flat out made it clearly known that "We have them, so don't feel left out!" To me, it casts all those who have not made it clearly state, well known, and easily available in a rather negative light. While I don't quite like Corsair's course of action with being kinda blazee about it all, I do understand their ""logic"" behind it since they have compatible products already. For all the other companies I just find it sad.... but oh well. I'm far less pissed off now that I know I have something in my collection that I can strap to it that isn't a factory S939 hunk of aluminum with fins, or one of those deplorable flower style circle jobbers AMD included with the lower end crap. :p I just dropped too much coin already to be able to handle another $70 on an AIO that won't perform much better than what I already have which itself has barely any usage! heh

Once I get my motherboard, that bracket is coming off and I'm going to be fastening it down onto a piece of wood so I have a "template" to fashion my own adapter out of. 90mm x 54mm on AM4 and 96mm x 48mm on AM2/3. I'm hoping it'll be easy. I saw Kyle had the same idea and his seems to have gone well enough. :D (Right Kyle....... Kyle? lol)

Cut the crap. It takes all of 30 minutes to check 4 or 5 web sites of cpu cooler makers such as Noctua, Cooler Master, Thermalright, Corsair, Swiftech, Alphacool etc . That is not AMD's responsibility , that is on you. I did my own due diligence for what cooler to choose. It was not a difficult or stressful experience.

Also, I don't understand (given that cooler companies seemed not ready) why AMD didn't just sell the Wraith cooler as a separate part. That may have been a decent option as well.

Back