Buying RAM - Need suggestion on which to buy

apim

Weaksauce
Computer Build:
Mobo: ASUS P8B75-V LGA 1155 Intel B75
CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155
Graphics Card: EVGA 01G-P4-2650-KR GeForce GTX 650

One of my RAM sticks died on me today. Current RAM was CORSAIR XMS 16GB (2x8GB) CMX16GX3M2A1333C9. I'd like to take this opportunity to upgrade my RAM to whatever the max my system is capable of. Budget: $250. I'd imagine a lot of people will tell me to buy a whole new computer, but I don't want to reformat. I''ve had this build for 6 years. I'm hoping to get another 5yrs out of it.

Daily usage:
24/7 running applications:
MS Outlook
MS Excel
MS Word
2x 16 Camera CCTV applications left open 24/7
Mozilla Firefox
Mozilla Thunderbird
Chrome Browser
Adobe Acrobat

Random usage of Photoshop and InDesign, but on a daily basis. I often (once every 2 weeks or so) run out of memory with my 16GB setup.

Appreciate any replies and all help on this.

Your current set is nothing to scoff at. I would rma it. oc it when you get it back and spend the 250 on something else...new cpu, gpu, monitor etc. That will give your rig a real kick in the ass vs more memory. Even if you bump your memory up to ddr3 1800+ it isnt going to feel like you did anything.
If you absolutely need another 16gb and your mb supports it i would suggest matching it up with the kit you have. Do you need 32gb?

Correct, current set is nothing to scoff at. Been very happy with it, other than running out of memory every other week. I noticed a passive performance drop when going from 16GB to 8GB. Thus, I figured if I went from 16GB to 32GB and upped the speed from 1333 to 1800+, I'd notice a massive improvement that I couldn't even imagine existed. As far as RMA'ing the RAM, I can't imagine that's an option after 6 years?

Absolutely, corsair has a lifetime warranty! Just call them up and tell them whats going on with the bad module and they will take care of it. They have very good cs.
Just checked out the specs on your mb and it does support up to 32gb with speeds of up to 2200. Thats great news but i would still go with another 2x8 kit of your existing memory. Its only $63 for another kit! Thats an excellent value. You would still have a nice chunk left over to make any other changes you may want. Or stash it away to go towards that nice shiny ryzen rig ;)

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-16gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820233296

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P8B75V/specifications/

Wow, I'll definitely RMA it then. That's crazy there's a lifetime warranty. In the meantime, I'll pick up another 16GB like you said since I won't notice the speed difference between 1333 and 2200. As far as a shiny new ryzen rig goes, I'm hoping to stay with this rig for life. It'd take an insane amount of work to reformat and start fresh.

Back