Buying one last AGP card...

Siciliano

Limp Gawd
I am problably gonna build a new system in the winter, and I was just wondering, what is the best card from a pure performance standpoint? I've read video card benchmarks, but they seem to fluctuate from 6800 Ultra too X850 XT PE, but at the same time, there is also SM 3.0 to worry about...Do you think the 6800 Ultra will be able to do the high end HDR in Half Life 2 while maintaning really high settings when it is released? Or other games for that matter?

Only reason I am asking is because I remember reading a review for SCCT and it basically said in order to use HDR, you couldn't have AA on and they had to turn the resolution down to 1024x768. I was originally gonna wait for the new generation cards, but I am hearing they won't be coming in AGP :-( So I am just gonna get a card now so I can play at higher settings then my 9800 pro 128. I basically want one last hurrah for my AGP system and maybe still future proof it a bit...I will respect what anybody has to say.

Thanks in Advance.

AMD 64 3000+ s754
1 gig Kingston Hyper X 2-2-2-5
Soyo CK8 Dragon Plus
400w Antec PSU

I have heard the new cards will come in AGP. I would probably get an X850XT PE right now, though.

I too would get the X850XT too right now. I just bought an ATI X800XT AIW 256mb AGP card because zipzoomfly.com, newegg.com, and buy.com all have it for roughly $330-340 after a $50 mail-in-rebate :). Awesome deal!

I picked up a Bfg 6800 Ultra o/c and it has been great! Absolutely flawless running on an Antec 350 Watt although Bfg states a 480 watt. Driver support has been great as well - I check Guru3d.com periodically for updates.

If you want a card now and need to have HDR then 6800GT is where its at, i belive the buzz is that the next gen will be agp, but only after a fair wait (think how long 6600 agps took to be available.)

I just picked up an x850xt, love it, loud blower fan on ATi's version, changed it out for a zalman 700Cu

im selling one of my 6800 ultra's for super cheap.. check the for sale section or search up my username

Back