Buying multiple/spare motherboards?

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by GothamsReckoning, Jan 3, 2017.

1. GothamsReckoning

GothamsReckoning Limp Gawd

I'm finally looking to move to X99 but with that I am wondering if it makes any sense to buy multiple motherboards for the sense of having spares or backups. Or do even premium X99 motherboards get outdated in terms of feature wise and it would be better to buy a replacement when it does have issues?

2. mda

mda Gawd

Motherboards should generally last you a long time. I manage about 80-100 computers at work ranging from Pentium 3s to Haswells. Aside from a bad batch of core2 motherboards (specifically one model -- Asus P5K-PL-AM), most motherboards die only after the crappy unbranded PSUs we use at work but before everything else. By then, it will be cheaper to just upgrade the whole platform entirely.

If you have any mission critical work with that PC and want minimum downtime, then it may make sense for you to get a spare. If not... with the cost of the X99... Assuming you don't get a dud motherboard, by the time the board actually dies, the Z870 or whatever mainstream platform Intel is on will thoroughly outperform your current machine and will be relatively cheap to build.

3. GothamsReckoning

So if I understood correctly if it's not mission critical then buying a spare motherboard doesn't make sense because of how quickly motherboards become obsolete? The other reason why I asked about this is because I've seen some good deals on older X99 motherboards and wanted to get a few on hand. So it doesn't make any sense to buy a bunch (like 2+) and have them as spares or backups? I don't really plan on making additional builds so those motherboards will be strictly backup/spares. Does it make sense from any other perspective to have additional motherboards of the same model or type as well if not being used for additional builds?

Same question to applies to any other computer components as well? Power supplies, memory, etc....

4. jardows

jardows Limp Gawd

While I have replaced several malfunctioning motherboards in my time as a PC technician, I have yet to have a personal motherboard fail. I killed one once, but that was my fault, not a "failure" per se. While others have different experiences, I wouldn't bother unless as stated before, you cannot afford any downtime at all and you don't have a local shop that would carry them in stock.

5. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|News Staff Member

With the price of decent X99 boards this seems like a terrible idea

jmilcher likes this.
  6. GothamsReckoning

Same question to applies to any other computer components as well? Power supplies, memory, etc.... I would think that at least with power supplies or even for example DDR4 memory that they wouldn't get that outdated or obsolete compared to motherboards?

Back to the question about the motherboard. What if the local shops don't carry that specific motherboard (ie it's discontinued as a first release X99 motherboard)?

7. jmilcher

jmilcher 2[H]4U

I agree. By the time a motherboard dies (assuming you have quality components) there would be reason enough to upgrade to newer technology.

8. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|News Staff Member

Then get a different one if it dies?

9. GothamsReckoning

Was considering it but the closest other motherboard I would consider is the MSI X99A Gaming 9 ACK. Didn't see too many other X99 motherboards besides from MSI/Gigabyte that interested me. The ASUS I may have considered but they had a problem in the past with overvolting processors (such as the 5960X).