Buying monitor (NEC 2190) on eBay -- dealing with bad seller

Namelessme

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently bought a used NEC 2190uxp on eBay, to replace my old broken one (which too was bought from eBay some time ago). I guess I should have learned, but this one also has issues. The seller stated 'short usage' in the auction, and when questioned, he stated it had about 6 months of use, but was on most of the time, so it had around 4200 hours on it. The constant use thing scared me a bit, but he assured me it had no dark spots or screen issues of any kind. He also has a 100% feedback rating.

Anyway, I get it all set up, and first thing I notice is how the backlight is rather dim for being set on 100%. The screen also has a yellow tint. I checked under hours used, and I see a little over 19,500 hours recorded with it 'on'.

I tried to set up a return to the buyer, who stated at first that there was no way the monitor had that many hours on it, since it was in storage. He also claimed previously that this monitor didn't support pulling up hour data, even after I gave him exact instructions how to do so -- guess I should have realized then what this guy was up to.

And when I showed him a photo of the screen w/hours listed, he offered no explanation besides: 'some may have been in use up to a year or so'. The math simply does not add up.

He wouldn't accept a full return (meaning what I paid + shipping) but instead offered the base pay only, leaving me to pay both return shipping and original shipping ... which would end up being around $90 at least, and I'd have nothing at all to show for it. I opened up a claim, stating it wasn't as described, and am just curious how I should proceed. He doesn't seem to be responding in the claim (at least so far) so should I just send messages backing my argument, and escalate it after 7 days? Or if he responds, should I just escalate immediately? I would also think a good seller should pay for return shipping, due to the mistake being on his part (although if he tried to scam me, he may not consider it a mistake).

And if anyone here, by some rare chance, just bought a NEC 2190uxp on eBay (base price was $100, or later he raised it to $150), check its hours used when you get it.

File a dispute and provide pictures to eBay. They will definitely rule in your favor.

I provided pictures to the seller during our conversation, but how do I provide pictures within the claim itself? I don't see a section for doing anything besides simply sending more messages to the seller (which it doesn't appear like he will reply to). Or will eBay look through the past conversation without me pointing it out?

And even if they rule in my favor, does that mean I am also stuck with return mailing costs on this thing? Sending monitors back is expensive... probably be around $35-$40 to mail it... feels unfair for the buyer to be out money and get nothing at all in return, due to seller mistake. I know as a seller, if I made a mistake, I wouldn't expect the buyer to pay for it.

Although I guess being out $35 or so is better than full price on an elderly monitor. I can't even get white on this thing to appear proper white, due to how dim the backlight is.

Well, the seller strangely escalated the dispute, without replying at all to claim messages.

And tonight I see an email from eBay with a prepaid UPS label for complimentary return shipping on them, so assume I won the case. No email from them closing the case, or anything like that though.

Anyway, I find eBay sellers like this to be bizarre. And strangely it seems like 90% of monitors being sold on eBay are from scammers or those who are completely clueless.

I'd still like a NEC 2190, but unless I find one new somehow at a price that won't bankrupt me, I think it won't ever happen. At least I think this turned out okay ... I'll know for certain when I actually get my money back.

Back