Buying Monitor for Readings Text

Nasser

n00b
Dears,

I'm looking to buy a 24 inches monitor, I want to use it for office work mostly reading mail texts and sometimes watching graphs

I find two monitor models:

One has 4K resolution with 1:000 contrast ratio.

Another one has only full HD resolution but with higher contrast ratio of 1:3000.

Which monitor I will feel more comfortable, more clear and better view experience for reading text, the one that has higher resolution or that has higher contrast ratio.

Regards

what models? get a business class unit. also, the "1:3000" sounds like bs manufacturer talk.
welcome to [H], btw.

1:1000 is enough to not be a problem so the resolution will count more. For text high PPI is king, so 4k with 200% scaling will be the winner there.

3000:1 sounds like a VA panel (or an inflated spec) the 1000:1 is probably IPS.
4k @24 is close to 200% scaling which may work well - I forget what recent Surface pros use but it’s close to that and it should look crisp at the expense of occasional windows that look too big or are clipped (for apps that don’t properly support scaling).
IPS generally has better color and contrast stability at the the center (VA usually has black crush at the center) so for productivity work I’d pick the IPS.

For sure 4k 27" ips with 150 or 200% scaling in windows.
Look at my older comparison: This is 27" 1080p 100% vs 4k 27" 200% scaling. This way everything is the same size on both.
6calwEu.jpg

As a practical measure of how higher DPI boosts readability: I have a 20" 1200x1600 monitor (100 DPI), a 32" 4k monitor (140DPI), and a 13" 3200x1800 laptop (280DPI). With the screens all at equal distances I can comfortably read text on the laptop at 200% scaling. The 32" at 100% results in text that's just barely too small for general use (same size as on the laptop, but with half the pixels it's less sharp/more blurry): normal size text is marginal, the occasional fine print is a misery on it but fine on the laptop. I run the 32" at 125% scaling (110 DPI equivalent), and despite the slightly smaller text it's easier to read than the standard DPI screen.

The 3000:1 is a VA panel and the 1000:1 I would guess is IPS - for text legibility it should be close but I would give the edge to the IPS and the higher res should be nice too at an appropriate scaling factor. Look for stand height and tilt adjustability as well for all day reading comfort.

higher contrast ratio is irrelevant for text readability

Back