Buying full version of Windows7: Retail version or System Builders version?

leh18621

[H]ard|Gawd
I built a new pc a month ago and have been running Win7 RC1 on it for the time being. Obviously Win7 is coming out next week so I am getting ready to purchase the full version. I could buy the Retail version of Win7 Home Premium 64-bit for $199, or the System Builders version for $99 on newegg.

Can anybody go ahead and buy the System Builders version, or is that restricted to actual pc resellers? Would newegg ask me for a resellers license or something if I try to order it? I built the pc, don't need MS support for it, and will only ever use that copy of Win7 on that pc. I just hate spending twice as much money for the Retail version if legally I can buy and use the System Builders version for half the price. Or am I better off paying more money for the Retail version?

Also, if I can buy the System Builders version, I assume it will come with the install dvd as well as install key? Plus, with that, I can install that copy on just this pc as many times as I want without limitations, correct? Meaning, I usually format and reload windows on a pc twice a year so over 4-5 years I will be reinstalling that copy of windows on the same pc 8-10 approx over the years.

Anyone can buy an OEM license. They're cheaper because they don't include Microsoft support. You are your support. OEM licenses are tied to the hardware on which they're installed. Technically you are prohibited from installing an OEM copy on a completely different system, though many people will do this and successfully activate their copy by saying their motherboard failed and had to be replaced, etc.

Thanks for the response and that's fine. Since I only ever plan to have it installed on this one pc I don't have a problem with that. I just wanted to make sure I could re install it on this same pc as many times as needed over the upcoming years.

You should be able to. After so many activations you may have to activate over the phone, although phone.

I've always bought OEM but am curious how the retail version works...unlimited installs on as many machines as you want?...or is there an activation limit with the retail as well?

Retail versions come with Microsoft support and the freedom to install on any machine. No limit to activations, but as I said previously, after so many online activations, you'll likely have to activate over the phone. But a phone activation seems to allot you more online activations.

I've always bought OEM but am curious how the retail version works...unlimited installs on as many machines as you want?...or is there an activation limit with the retail as well?

You're only legally allowed to install it on a single machine at a time. It is allowed to be transfered to a new machine unlike the OEM license though.

There's no actual 'lifetime' fixed number of activations attached to EITHER license type! What happens is that if you activate too many times within a fixed period then auto-activate fails and you need to telephone activate. If you allow the alloted period to elaps between activation attempts then the 'activation counter gets reset to zero again For MS software that period is 90 days, but I suspect that for their OS products it might be 6 months. I'm not cetain because I've never tested it to definitively determine the required period.

People get confused about it because the error mesage can include the comment "You have exceeeded the allowed number of activations." That message indicates the 'allowed' number within the period, not over the lifetime of the product.

If you purchase and use an OEM System Builder pack then the license is 'tied' to the machine it is first installed and activated on. But it is tied to that machine only by a legal agreement, not by a practical mechanism which stops you from being able to install it again elsewhere. You gave your word when you accepted the license agreement initially, and doing so was a legal contract. Use the key again on a different machine and you've broken your word and thus the agreement. Doesn't matter that it can be activated and validated successfully - it's still not legitimately licensed afterwards.

Retail and OEM System builder licenses use the same activation servers and mechanisms.

No license type genuinely has "unlimited installs" in the sense that you can install and auto-activate it as frequently as you choose to.

If you allow the alloted period to elaps between activation attempts then the 'activation counter gets reset to zero again For MS software that period is 90 days, but I suspect that for their OS products it might be 6 months. I'm not cetain because I've never tested it to definitively determine the required period...

I frequently reformat my system so I've had to call MS to re-activate my OEM license many times...does the activation counter get reset to zero even with OEM?...because in my experience the first 5 or so times I can re-activate without calling MS but after that number is up I always have to call when re-activating, doesn't matter if it's 1 month or 6 months since my last activation

It's my understanding that, even with an OEM System Builder installation, you are having to call in and manually activate because you are so frequently wiping and starting over. I have on numerous occasions reused an OEM install on a different PC when that OEM key hasn't been used for activations for more than 6 months previously, and it has always auto-activated for me when doing so.

OEM Direct (i.e. manufacturer pre-installed) works a bit differently, but as I understand it OEM system Builder uses the same activation procedures/mechanisms as Retail.

Damned if I understand why people even activate the install if they're gonna be wiping it so frequently, by the way. Install without activating and then use 're-arm' when necessary and you can get up to 3 months usage without it needing to be activated.

though many people will do this and successfully activate their copy by saying their motherboard failed and had to be replaced, etc.

QFT, I have one copy of XP that I have installed maybe 15 times lol. You have to call their phone number (when you try to activate online it won't let you) and just tell them you installed it once, on one machine, and that you had "catastrophic hardware failure."

I should really get a technet license because 90% of the time I'm doing this, I'm just setting up a test rig that's going to get formatted over in a month or so.

/threadjack

Are Neweggs product listings correct in that if you buy the OEM version, you can only get the 32 or 64 bit version in a single package, not both? For the OEM versions of Win7, they only list one or the other for sale, unlike the full retail version which includes both 32 and 64 bit in one package.

Yes. OEM system Builder packs only contain the one install disk (and only legitimately entitle you to use the provided install rather than the alternative.

that's kinda part of why it's a cheaper license.

QFT, I have one copy of XP that I have installed maybe 15 times lol. You have to call their phone number (when you try to activate online it won't let you) and just tell them you installed it once, on one machine, and that you had "catastrophic hardware failure."

yup the whole process is so quick too...barely any wait time...and the only question they ask is 'how many machines do you have the software installed on?'...they usually don't even ask me the reasons why I am re-installing...the process is very painless and easy...I don't see why anyone would bother with the full retail version when you can get the exact same software (OEM) for half the price (minus the MS support which most people will never use anyway)

Back