Buying an HDTV - Newegg or Walmart?

I think I'm gonna bite on a Panasonic 42" plasma. This one to be precise:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889187153

Normally I wouldn't even consider Walmart but they allow their items to be returned to the store. So if there are any dead pixels, I can simply return it to the store free of cost, at least from what I read. Please correct me if Walmart won't take it back for dead pixels, but I'm pretty sure you can return anything for any reason.

Newegg may differ in that respect...

Do you guys think it's better just to go through Walmart?

Thanks for the help! :)

edit - Actually maybe newegg is better since I don't think I'll be charged sales tax. Maybe I should just risk the dead pixels?

When you hear all the warnings about how you should and shouldn't transport a plasma, then hear all the shipping horror stories, it makes you want to buy it in store and pick it up yourself, especially when the prices are close.

Combine that with near-instant gratification and easy returns, the choice seems clear to me.

I'd think of the sales tax as cheap insurance vs possible shipping damage + time wasted + frustration.

Oh yea, recently i've been hearing horror stories about walmart's 3rd party extended warranty company, so maybe purchase a mack or squaretrade aftermarket warranty instead. Squaretrade has a bunch of discount coupons you can google, for up to a 40% discount. Whereas Mack is fully bonded and enjoys the best reputation, they even have a Mack rep at the AVS forums that assists you if ever have any problem with their service.

Good luck either way though and congrats, you're about to get yourself a nice TV set :)

Last edited:
The Walmart deal is online only so it would have to be shipped too.

Godmachine... Newegg has a pretty terrible dead pixel policy. Can't exchange it unless there are more than 8. And I'm sure I would end up eating the shipping cost if I did have to return it.

With Walmart I can return the TV [to the store] for whatever reason I want. Even if I simply don't like the picture quality. No restocking fee. That sounds like a damn good reason to go with Walmart. The only thing is that it's $50 more with tax.

Even if it's only $50, it's no question. TVs or monitors are the one thing I wouldn't buy from a place that charges restocking.

I agree with what jetski said about thinking of it as cheap insurance. Also, if you have to return it to newegg, their 15% restocking fee is $75.

it also depends on how well you usually receive your packages from UPS. Around here, they seem to be a little rough on them, whereas other places have been great.

The Walmart deal is online only so it would have to be shipped too.

Godmachine... Newegg has a pretty terrible dead pixel policy. Can't exchange it unless there are more than 8. And I'm sure I would end up eating the shipping cost if I did have to return it.

With Walmart I can return the TV [to the store] for whatever reason I want. Even if I simply don't like the picture quality. No restocking fee. That sounds like a damn good reason to go with Walmart. The only thing is that it's $50 more with tax.

I know they do but I've had first hand knowledge how horrible Walmart can be to deal with on returns and through there third party warranty service. I would stick recommend Newegg even with there not so great return policy.

Just bought it from Walmart. $650 is not too shabby. And having the free return protection is a huge plus. Thanks for the help! :)

Back