Buying an ASUS z270a board from a crypto-miner?

Horiscopes

n00b
Hey y'all,

This past May I built my first computer, and I'm running on a mobo that cannot OC ram or CPU, and I'd like to OC my 7600K.

I got a really good deal on a z270A from a miner, and he has a warranty that prevents DOA, and has sent me pictures of it working, etc. It was in sub-45C conditions for its entire use, and I was wondering if you guys thought that it would be safe to buy a used mobo from a miner like him? I don't really have $250 to spend on an OCing board, and I would upgrade my PC over time (for example, I'm buying a 1070 off him as well), do you guys think it would be a strong base for upgrading my PC for a year or so to come?

I would not be put off of used mining hardware, specifically.

You should ask yourself "what am I going to do if this doesn't work when it arrives?" Like, will you have to sell your old board first, meaning you'll be totally without a working PC for some period of time? Can you live with it if that period is longer than a couple of days? If so, then go for it. Used hardware is often an excellent deal, especially if you don't need the very latest hardware.

Just be sure you get it cheap enough to justify the potential hassle. None of us can really tell you what that is, unfortunately.

I would not be put off of used mining hardware, specifically.

You should ask yourself "what am I going to do if this doesn't work when it arrives?" Like, will you have to sell your old board first, meaning you'll be totally without a working PC for some period of time? Can you live with it if that period is longer than a couple of days? If so, then go for it. Used hardware is often an excellent deal, especially if you don't need the very latest hardware.

Just be sure you get it cheap enough to justify the potential hassle. None of us can really tell you what that is, unfortunately.
It's really undercutting retail price, like $100 is the price we agreed on, and I'm just honestly worried that it's "too good" of a deal, ya know? And I agree with the used hardware thing, I've bought the hell out of some used stuff for my build lol.

That's definitely not "too good," but probably an OK deal. Here's the same board, open box, but otherwise new, from newegg, for $135.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132936R&ignorebbr=1

Here's a different board, that would most likely serve you just fine, for $100 brand new.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128972

It'd be bad form to haggle some more if you've already agreed, but I'd probably look for something cheaper if I were buying used anyway.

That's not a terrible price. I'd probably take a used board off here than a Newegg Open Box anyway as at least you've seen pics of the board running as opposed to a mixed bag with the NE Open box.

The Asus board is a solid mid range Z270 where the GB board linked is definitely in the entry level category. Will they perform the same? Probably. Generally speaking you reach the limit of the CPU before you reach the limit of the board in recent CPU releases.

Back