Buying an Apple watch series 2, need suggestion

maverick786us

2[H]4U
I skipped the entire first generation apple watch, and patiently waited for the second generation, because I didn't want to be the early adopter, I wasn't placed with the processor (until watch OS3 showed up which brought some improvement) and the battery life, because in case of a smartphone charging everyday or every alternate day is fine, but not with the case of a wrist watch, even if its the worlds best smartwatch.

Now I have decided that I will but series 2 apple watch, I will go for the stainless steel version, because i want something that you wear in parties, i don't want the sports version. But before making a purchase, I need this suggestion. Smartphones is something that you upgrade every year or every 2 years. Wrist watch is not something that I would upgrade that frequently. I will not upgrade my apple watch for another 4 years. Yes unless apple brings something ground breaking in its smartwatch within 2,3,4 years, like...

1) Making it slim and yet have a superb battery life.
2) Implementing something like tough solar, where the battery automatically charges using natural source of light (something we see in Casio watches).
3) Greatly improved battery life that would last for a week or more.

Then I might consider upgrading my watch within 2-3 years. But do you think the extra premium is worth, when its inevitable that upcoming generations could make todays adopters regret the premium they paid for the stainless steel version?

If I explain in simple words, imagine, "one of your spend your entire one month salary for a stainless steel version of apple watch series 2, and within 2-3 years you noticed, that next 2 generation apple watch was so ground breaking, that you are tempted to buy it, but then you realised, oh crap!!! why did i pay that extra premium for stainless steel version when I had to purchase again within 2 years, i should have saved the money and should have gone for the aluminium version"

Hope you got my point

56098701.jpg

If you want a status symbol, and you think it is an iWatch, you are terribly mistaken.

People around here claiming to have class? Say it ain't so. :D

Dude, I'm not really sure what the hell you are asking, or that you even know what you're asking.

Sounds like you're looking to waste money and want us to tell you its OK. Go ahead, its obvious you want one.

Kyle its not about status or show off, its about, being smart, spending your money wisely. Imagine you spend a 1000$ for a top notch Apple watch, and you came across a guy who owns a 100,000$ rolex watch, which isn't smart watch. You can that he might be rich by money, but I spend my money wisely and I have something superior than yours.
My point is you don't need a $700 watch.

Dude, I'm not really sure what the hell you are asking, or that you even know what you're asking.

Sounds like you're looking to waste money and want us to tell you its OK. Go ahead, its obvious you want one.

I think this discussion has gone bit off the topic. for which i apologise. All i was saying is now is the time for me to buy an Apple watch. Will the extra premium that I pay for stainless steel over aluminium, worth?

In that case I will visit an apple store this weekend and will once again compare the aluminium and steel version which look alike but only differ in terms of strength and will make my decision

If thats all that matters to you then determine how rough you are on your stuff. Do you break phones often?

If thats all that matters to you then determine how rough you are on your stuff. Do you break phones often?

I take extra care of my gadgets, be it my iPhone, iPad, Canon 70D or MacBook Pro. I would rather hurt myself but will never let a scratch happen to my precious gadgets:)

You make $700 a month and are buying an apple watch? I'd say dont get one then.

However I honestly dont see the question in the OP, can someone enlighten me?

If its to get the Series 2 over 1 .... If you swim alot do it, if not there is no real reason to not buy the marked down price on a series 1....

You also don't need a $700 GPU or a $330 CPU. Hasn't stopped anyone yet.

Let's stop pretending like there's something egregious about the Apple Watch. It does more at $269 than an Omega does at $2,790. And it sure as hell is better than the likes of the pathetic Samsung Gear or Pebble.

I didn't like any of the Samsung gear either. But i am impressed with the latest generation Motorola 360 smartwatch, which is indeed an awesome watch costing almost half the price of Apple watch. But I am into Apple eco system, therefore i cannot go for it.

Last edited:
You make $700 a month and are buying an apple watch? I'd say dont get one then.

However I honestly dont see the question in the OP, can someone enlighten me?

If its to get the Series 2 over 1 .... If you swim alot do it, if not there is no real reason to not buy the marked down price on a series 1....

lol, definitely its more than 700$. My savings are somewhere between 600-700$

If you consider that the changes between the second gen and first gen were minimal (CPU spec upgrade/GPS) then go with what you want since it can and probably will last you more than 2-3 years.

I'd recommend the sport version simply because its cheaper and I couldn't care less if it shines but if shiny is one of your priorities then go for it. I wouldn't expect the third gen devices to offer any new functionality and it may very well be a series 2 repackaged in a thinner watch. The lack of GPS in the first gen was really it's only problem so what else can they add from there?

If you consider that the changes between the second gen and first gen were minimal (CPU spec upgrade/GPS) then go with what you want since it can and probably will last you more than 2-3 years.

I'd recommend the sport version simply because its cheaper and I couldn't care less if it shines but if shiny is one of your priorities then go for it. I wouldn't expect the third gen devices to offer any new functionality and it may very well be a series 2 repackaged in a thinner watch. The lack of GPS in the first gen was really it's only problem so what else can they add from there?

Thanks Sonicks,

Although addition of GPS is a welcome move, despite that fact that it consumes bit juice out of the watch. In a watch the best usage that i find with GPS is, for those who travel a lot, in different time zones, where the GPS can be used for automatically adjusting the time, without connecting with the iPhone, otherwise i couldn't find much usage of GPS watch in a small device like a smartwatch.

I am also keeping the option open for series 1 apple watches (not the first generation) as i have heard that it has the identical hardwares (same processor and GPU) as series 2, but is not swim proof.

I would think the screen is the weakest point, and most likely to break or get damaged. Aluminum vs. stainless? I would get the cheaper of the two. I'm sure both are pretty, but it will obviously be an Apple Watch either way.

There seems to be two discussions here:

1.) Buying one or the other based upon durability.

2.) The economics of buying an Apple watch, especially in regards to value.

To one I'd say buy what you want. I'd get the stainless. But as others have stated, it probably won't matter much either way. I'd also get a link band, but that is because I'd want it to look like a watch, more than say an exercise device.

As for 2, the economics of technology never make sense if you're looking at it like a financial investment. The expectation is that it should always go down. Betting that it will go up is generally a losing bet, as it is with 99% of cars.

===

tl;dr: Just buy what you want and don't look back.

As far as watches go. Don't look at the stainless steel as being the selling point. The stainless steel comes with a sapphire crystal face. That is worth the premium.

I have a full stainless steel watch (metal bracelet in stainless as well) that I've owned for 7 years. The metal shows significant scratches and blemishes. The sapphire crystal is flawless.

I'm looking at the Apple Watch and I will only consider one with a sapphire crystal. Or any watch for that matter.

I just got a Series 1 on Saturday. GPS and waterproof was useless to me. As far as glass type, I bought a screen protector for that. I wanted the time-telling and activity tracking without needing my iPhone at all times (and honestly after having gotten it it's nice to just speak into my watch to reply to a text I got). Lowest model, though, because I'm cheap and kinda poor.

Sucks I'll have to be late on my car payment this month...

After 4 years of charging, you better will last about 7 minutes. These aren't designed to last that long. If you can't afford to blow 400 on one, then save your money and buy a used Tag. You'll look nicer and women will actually respect you.

After 4 years of charging, you better will last about 7 minutes. These aren't designed to last that long. If you can't afford to blow 400 on one, then save your money and buy a used Tag. You'll look nicer and women will actually respect you.

Almost all my friends and I can afford most watches as a daily wear. I'll tell you that almost every one has moved on to an Apple watch.

One of the biggest selling points is that they can look at the "time" but in reality they are looking at a text. As opposed to me, I have to be seem rude and take my phone out. We get a LOT of real information via text so I have to look.

However, I do agree with you about the longevity. I look at the Apple Watch as being replaceable. Once its no longer useful, I'd get a new one.

Almost all my friends and I can afford most watches as a daily wear. I'll tell you that almost every one has moved on to an Apple watch.

One of the biggest selling points is that they can look at the "time" but in reality they are looking at a text. As opposed to me, I have to be seem rude and take my phone out. We get a LOT of real information via text so I have to look.

However, I do agree with you about the longevity. I look at the Apple Watch as being replaceable. Once its no longer useful, I'd get a new one.
If you have an iwatch on people know you aren't checking the time dude. How stupid do you think the real world is?

Not to mention a square faced watch on a dude stands out like a B.

Real world is pretty clueless, I wouldn't say stupid. People just don't pay attention.

I have no idea what "stands out like a B" means.

I am from a middle class. Don't want it for status symbol. Imagine if your are wearing a stainless version on your one hand and an aluminium version on your right hand, it will be almost impossible for an other person to differentiate. The only reason I prefer stainless over aluminium, is because its tough. So its not that someone wearing a stainless over aluminium can show better status. I want a smartwatch. Since I am into apple eco system, therefore apple watch is a way to go. Instead of sports, i want a classic smart watch

Saying you are middle class is almost completely useless as a point in space. I've seen it range from making 40k to 100k+ to be considered middle class. Also spending habits have little to do with class, some lower class people spend way more than I do on shit.

Anywho, buy the one you really want. Just get the SS. You'll have it for years and use it every day.

Back