Buying a second Asus RT-AC66U B1 will this work ?

ng4ever

2[H]4U
Right now we have our current Asus RT-AC66U B1 router inside used as a wireless access point basically for our AT&T 1 Gbps Fiber connected to one of the ethernet ports in the living room. The AT&T Gateway/router is in the garage (don't ask sorry) we did not want to put the Asus RT-AC66U B1 router there out of fear of it dying early or very quickly. (Yes the AT&T Gateway/router could but that is covered and the tech who installed it said it would be ok/work even during summer hot months and cold winter (So far it has for over a year now)

Now to my point sorry. If I got a second Asus RT-AC66U B1 router (or even use the current one and get a better router for the access point with at least wifi 6 maybe for inside) could I easily use it as a bypass for the AT&T Gateway/router with it in garage ? The reason I would get a second router is if it ever die because of the cold or heat it does not matter. I can fall back onto the AT&T Gateway/router. Unless this is a stupid idea ?

Please let me know what you all think. Thanks. Maybe I am making it more complicated than I should. Oh yeah btw having the spare router (Asus RT-AC66U B1 currently) in the living room helps because it is the middle/center of the house. I don't think it would work very well in the garage for a access point to be in there.

If you need to cover dead spots, just add another wifi point where you need it. I wouldn't mess with your current setup if it is working.

There is a question in there somewhere, but I'm not sure what it is.

So fiber goes into AT&T all in one right now in the garage, and there is ethernet coming off the AT&T box going into the living room which is also where you have Asus wifi #1. You want to do something with Asus #2 but I'm not sure what you're trying to do.

Are you wanting to use the second ASUS as the main router instead of the AT&T, keeping the AT&T device as a modem/Gateway? Do you need wider WiFi coverage? You could get a second AC-66u and use it inside on repeater mode. My old AC-66u A1 still works great for that function, it even had a BIOS update this month.(Very rare case due to very serious exploits)

Are you wanting to use the second ASUS as the main router instead of the AT&T, keeping the AT&T device as a modem/Gateway? Do you need wider WiFi coverage? You could get a second AC-66u and use it inside on repeater mode. My old AC-66u A1 still works great for that function, it even had a BIOS update this month.(Very rare case due to very serious exploits)

Yes.

Will it work ?

Which specific objective(s) are you looking to accomplish? There are ways to go around the AT&T gateway and use your own router but you will lose some features of their hardware, and it will cost you more to use your router instead of theirs as you will need some static IPs(which they will charge you for, this is AT&T after all) so you can bridge the network devices. If you only need more WiFi coverage, you can use a second ASUS wireless router as a repeater for signal boost, this is what I recommend.

Back