Buying a refurb from newegg, is it safe? 6600GT/6800gt

SaViOr-

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys i thought about buying a refurb'd 6600GT or 6800GT AGP from newegg if i can sell my 9800 pro, do you guys think that its safe to buy a refurb and will newegg give me another if the one i got is f'd up? let me know what u guys think of this.

**EDIT** Also will a 6800GT run pretty good on my Thermaltake Purepower 420w psu?

BTW ;) my 9800 pro fs http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=912701

9800pro to refurb 6600gt = really bad idea

go at least 6800gt

it's also a risk.... newegg doesn't verify that their refurb items are actually what the suppliers say they are, and many times people get the wrong items and experience a hassle. be careful.

well....... is there any reason to get a refurb 6600gt..they cost 150 bucks lol...and with tur 9800pro being sold...it wont cost you that much more money for a retail new one.

The 6600GT is so damn close to the 9800, you should really wait for something better for your money if you want to spend <$200. A 7th generation budget card would fit the bill.

So how about a Refurb'd Leadtek 6800 GT for $211 ? Would that be a good idea

I thought all 7th gen cards were pci e not agp.Savior wait until the 7th gen cards come out and buy a new 6800.You could get the 6800 or the 6800gt either way you will be happy and it will be brand new with everything in the box.You can get a 6800 right now, or wait until they get cheaper.I'm waiting until around july 4 and I'm going to get a 6800gt.

i bought a refurb Aopen 6800GT for 280 dollars from newegg..it was DOA :(

so i did a RMA to Aopen and got a brand new one back :D

Takes a little longer but was worth the wait.

As several other people have mentioned, don't bother going from a 9800Pro to a 6600GT. It's just not worth your money. Save a little, and get a 6800GT. I have the leadtek 6800GT, and it's awesome - the stock cooler on it is amongst the best of all the coolers available, and affords decent OCing without needing to get an aftermarket cooler.

I have never heard of getting wrong items as an issue with newegg refurbs. Personally I think it's a great way to save some cash. Last night I saw a PCI-E x800xl for $235 shipped, if I would have had my paycheck sooner, it would have been mine, even if just to ebay it in a month. My attitude is this:

1. If the item is broken, you find out as soon as you get it, and it gets sent back and you get a refund.

2. These are not "bad parts" that will OC for crap and produce artifacts, most times they are either "open box" or have been fixed by the manufacturer.

3. You already have a 9800pro, you should be able to ebay this for at least $100. Take that money and put it towards something in the $230+ dollar range. If you have an SLI capable board, you could also consider dual 6600s, or dual 6800nus.

mikelz85 said:
I have never heard of getting wrong items as an issue with newegg refurbs. Personally I think it's a great way to save some cash. Last night I saw a PCI-E x800xl for $235 shipped, if I would have had my paycheck sooner, it would have been mine, even if just to ebay it in a month. My attitude is this:

1. If the item is broken, you find out as soon as you get it, and it gets sent back and you get a refund.

2. These are not "bad parts" that will OC for crap and produce artifacts, most times they are either "open box" or have been fixed by the manufacturer.

3. You already have a 9800pro, you should be able to ebay this for at least $100. Take that money and put it towards something in the $230+ dollar range. If you have an SLI capable board, you could also consider dual 6600s, or dual 6800nus.

Well im trying to sell my oc'd 9800 pro on here and if i manage to sell it i think i will get the leadtek 6800GT for 211 from the egg, does that sound like a good idea?

btw here is my 9800 pro fs http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=912701

lt.murda said:
I thought all 7th gen cards were pci e not agp.Savior wait until the 7th gen cards come out and buy a new 6800.You could get the 6800 or the 6800gt either way you will be happy and it will be brand new with everything in the box.You can get a 6800 right now, or wait until they get cheaper.I'm waiting until around july 4 and I'm going to get a 6800gt.
But with a refurb you can buy the card now, use it for a month or two, and sell it for the same price you bought it for (or more), even with the next gen coming out. Example a $230-$250 x800xl currently goes for ~$275-$300 on ebay for a 'used card' (factor yours will not be very 'used'), and I'll bet that prices on ebay won't drop more that $30 in 2 months, if they drop at all (you can always find amazing comparative advantage on ebay)

I bought the refurb MSI 6600GT (PCI-e) card a few weeks ago. If newegg told me it was NIB I would have believed them. The card came with all cables, connectors, and software, and it runs perfectly. I can't think of why someone returned this card...unless they wanted an AGP card and ordered this one instead.

It gets the generic 6600GT score of ~3500 in 3dm2k5, not overclocked. I don't need to overclock it yet. :p

Newegg's refurbs are not refurbished at all. They are just returned products from customers. Some are broken, physically and the like, and some are in perfect working condition. Personally ive returned dozens of workign items to newegg, just to exchange it for another item- chances are someone got them in the refurb section.

Heck, i even updated the BIOS of an MSI board newegg sent me before i figured out i didnt like it, so someone got a much better board than buying it brand new :D

Thank you everyone for your replies, ill be getting a refurb leadtek 6800GT from newegg or maybe some 6800 card and try to unlock :p

SaViOr- said:
Thank you everyone for your replies, ill be getting a refurb leadtek 6800GT from newegg or maybe some 6800 card and try to unlock :p

shhhhhhh dont tell anyone about teh cheap refurb 6800gt :) someone might grab it b4 u do hehe ;)

O yah and BTW, my leadtek 6800gt refurb from newegg is arriving tomorrow.. it was the last one hehehe j/k

Damn I'm torn I was gonna get the 6800nu for 189, but with this so close in price I can't decide. The refurbs really that good? Worth it?

Just thought I'd share my experience with a newegg reburb as I was a bit nervous getting one.

I got the card (sapphire x800 xt) yesterday; it came in a small box but had all the cables, the installation drivers cd, and power dvd. I installed the card and immediately noticed it was idling at a whopping 75 degrees. Something obviously wasn't right. I took the card out, took off the heatsink, spread out the thermal grease (didn't seem to be applied very well), reseated the heatsink, and finally reseated the fan. I installed the card again and idle temps were normal at 36. I'm guessing that the heatsink just wasn't making good contact with the core. I used ATI Tool to put the card at xt pe speeds (520/560) and fired up the BF2 demo. The card is now running like a dream. Conclusion: reburbs are worth the risk if you need the extra money (or just want to spend it on other parts). They do have a 15 day return policy so basically stress test the hell out of it for a week, and if something goes wrong after the 15 days you'll have the manufacturer's warranty to fall back on.

cheers.

Peter-Griffin said:
Damn I'm torn I was gonna get the 6800nu for 189, but with this so close in price I can't decide. The refurbs really that good? Worth it?

YES, you can always get it at a cheaper price for a refurb, well that's te whole point but anyways..if something goes wrong, rma it to the manufactor and they will send you a brand new card for the price u paid so it's all good.

I've gotten a 9600XT and now a PCI-e 6200. Both cards have been absolutely great and I am about to get an X800PRO that they have for 196. :eek:

Refurbs are great deals.
My current card and motherboard are newegg refurb. Motherboard came bare, thats a chance you take, but video card was full retail.

When the G70 come out, I'll be checking Newegg refurb daily for it. They usually knock off $100 on the hign end cards.

Wow newegg, here i come! ......well as soon as i sell my 9800 pro that is lol :p

Back