Buying a PS3. What are must-have accessories?

drdeutsch

2[H]4U
Never had a PlayStation before, but I'm looking forward to a few games (Red Dead Redemption) and being able to stream HD media to my TV.

I plan on getting the 500gb slim model, probably a couple extra controllers, and of course an HDMI splitter for the TV. Are there any other must-have accessories that are easily overlooked/make the PS3 a better experience?

Thanks.

Not much. Maybe a second controller. If you're into the whole motion thing there is PS Move. Many newer games implament Move but a controller usualyl works just as well.

If you plan on playing online, just about any Blue Tooth headset will work.

For the media, you may want a more treditional remote. I got the $20 one and it works great.

I no longer have my PS3, but I had the charging dock for the remotes and a Logitech Harmony remote adapter so I could control the PS3 with my universal remote. Both are very nice for keeping a clean and simple setup.

It's nice to be able to just hit "Play PS3" on the Harmony remote and everything gets turned on and set to the right settings. Also a must for parents who might call often asking "now, if I want to watch a VHS, what do I turn the TV to?" ;)

I use a Navi controller, sharpshooter, and motion controller. Started playing RE5 Gold this weekend with it. The game is much more enjoyable and implemented the shaprshooter really well.

If you're looking to play online with any sort of chat, you'll want a Bluetooth headset of some kind. You could go with the official Sony one, which is usually highly recommended (but pricey) or you can just grab a random one. You could even get a higher-end one so you can use it with other things, too. For the sake of everyone else, make sure you get one that claims to eliminate background noise!

I use PS3 mostly for netflix and bluray/dvd playback so the bluetooth remote is really nice. Pausing playback after the controller goes to sleep is a hassle.

If your TV has a feature to control HDMI devices over wire (like Samsung Anynet), you can skip the purchase of a remote if you can live with basic control of the PS3 over the TV remote.

If you intend on getting GT5, the Logitech G25/27 is a worthwhile addition for that game. Pricey for a one game purchase so only recommended of you would be really interested in GT5.

Not sure if this is because I have an old model or what...but my PS3 controllers don't go to sleep.
I just use the normal pads for a Blu-ray/streaming remote. Since the PS3 is my only Bluetooth device and I love my normal Sony IR remote, I never bothered getting a separate remote for the PS3.

I use PS3 mostly for netflix and bluray/dvd playback so the bluetooth remote is really nice. Pausing playback after the controller goes to sleep is a hassle.

Change the power settings! There's an option (power settings or something) to power off peripherals after 10/20/30 minutes or never!

Change the power settings! There's an option (power settings or something) to power off peripherals after 10/20/30 minutes or never!

I preferred the occasional annoyance of taking ~10 seconds to pause to having to switch controllers every day. It's nice that Sony does give the option.

I think I have changed the batteries in my Sony remote twice in the last ~2 years.

The Move controller is actually pretty awesome. Just picked up a PS3 recently and the Move is MUCH more responsive and accurate than the Wii Motion+ that i've been using for years. The Sports Champion games, PGA Tour 13, Resident Evil 5, MLB The Show 12, Killzone 3, Portal 2, all of them are awesome with the motion controls. Not to mention lightshooter games like House of the dead 3, 4, overkill, Resident Evil Chronicles, Dead Space Extraction, Time Crisis. I've only played HOTD 4 so far but it works perfect, no lag like the Wii controllers.

You don't even need the Navigation controller you can use a Dualshock in your left hand. Just pick up a used Move controller / PS3 eye on ebay for $35 like I did.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'm definitely getting an extra controller or two. Looked at the remotes, but I think I might go for a Logitech Harmony - there's an adapter for the PS3 and it controls all my other devices. Pretty spendy, though.

I don't plan to play much online. I'm really looking forward to Red Dead Redemption and the MSG HD collection. After that, I'm sure I'll find more games, but I'm primarily a PC gamer. The PS3 is mostly for exclusive titles and being able to stream HD content to my TV.

I would grab a PS Move set with Sports Champions since it's cheap now and fun when you have company over. Also the bluetooth media controller and a bluetooth headset for online gaming.

Get a sleeve for your controller if you care about how worn out it'll get over time. I'm still using one that I bought almost 2 years ago from China.

I like having the keypad, a Sony charging dock, and the Blu-Ray remote.

Back