Buying a playstation 3

Clemo

Limp Gawd
On black friday I hear amazon will be selling the ps3 bundle for $199. Is it even worth it at that price? It's been out for around 7 years already so would it still be a wise purchase? I could put in another $300 for the PS4 bundle (when it becomes available). What would you do?

Check the Console forum for a discussion on this very topic. Highlights, huge inventory of games and some still to release... solid blu ray player... crappy controller for most. :)

There are lots of exclusives and other games you could pick up and play for the PS3, is it worth it. well I don't think so but I gotta ask, if you really cared about all these games why do you not already own a PS3? IMO the answer is you don't care in which case I say why bother? Skip the PS3, go strait to the PS4 this time and actually get in at the ground level. $199 is a ripoff considering the hardware in it. But ultimately only you can answer the question for yourself. Some people went out and bought whole PS3 or Xbox 360 systems several months ago because of GTAV, to me paying $300 for a single game is ridiculous, but for them apparently it wasn't.

The best bet atm is just saving up $400 and getting a PS4. Check out the net, the reviews, what devs are saying about the hardware, etc. PS4 loads faster, 50% more power under the hood. Most of all, it's just a real gaming machine in terms of Sony's agenda. Sony has a lot more street cred than MS any day when it comes gaming.

I say go for it. If you didn't have a last gen console then you should get one. You get the luxury of a better system , more mature OS and features plus cheap games. The only downside of the PS3 is the god awful Dual Shock 3 controller. Compared to the new DS4 its absolute junk.

There are SO many good PS3 games. I think you should only get a PS4 if you already own a PS3 frankly , nothing on the PS4 now justifies the cost completely (Resogun maybe). Its always better to enact a wait and see approach to new consoles.

On black friday I hear amazon will be selling the ps3 bundle for $199. Is it even worth it at that price? It's been out for around 7 years already so would it still be a wise purchase? I could put in another $300 for the PS4 bundle (when it becomes available). What would you do?

So you're asking if you should pay more for a system with no games, or pay less for a system with a LOT of great games? :rolleyes:

So you're asking if you should pay more for a system with no games, or pay less for a system with a LOT of great games? :rolleyes:

Well I ask because whatever next purchase I make will be the only purchase for a few years. So your comment only makes sense if in the next few years PS4 will still not have that many great games.

Well I think by time year 1 is up you are going to definitely see a lot more exclusives to the new gen consoles that are not ported back to the older gen. Also consider if you really do keep a system a long time and not upgrade then buying a new gen console will get you the most use out of it. (of course I am assuming it will last which may not be the case). So your value buy is going to be on the new gen console. If you just want cheap games use a computer with steam.

There are lots of exclusives and other games you could pick up and play for the PS3, is it worth it. well I don't think so but I gotta ask, if you really cared about all these games why do you not already own a PS3? IMO the answer is you don't care in which case I say why bother? Skip the PS3, go strait to the PS4 this time and actually get in at the ground level. $199 is a ripoff considering the hardware in it. But ultimately only you can answer the question for yourself. Some people went out and bought whole PS3 or Xbox 360 systems several months ago because of GTAV, to me paying $300 for a single game is ridiculous, but for them apparently it wasn't.

Well I never purchased a PS3 because I didn't have the money to spend on a console. There are many games I do want to play on the PS3. Still thinking it out but great input so far guys, thank you.

There are lots of exclusives and other games you could pick up and play for the PS3, is it worth it. well I don't think so but I gotta ask, if you really cared about all these games why do you not already own a PS3? IMO the answer is you don't care in which case I say why bother? Skip the PS3, go strait to the PS4 this time and actually get in at the ground level.

this. move on and get the ps4 later. i hear if you didn't get one for launch it is best to just wait until spring for the catalog to get some good titles.

If you want to play games now, go with the PS3, you can't regret buying a cheap system and having access to a slew of cheap games. If you're worried about your e-peen, get a PS4.

If on budget get the PS3 as it's is cheaper and has a lot more game choices. There are also games that allow you to upgrade to PS4 version for ~$10.

If you have extra disposable income buy both.

If you're only getting the PS4 you'll need to have patience for new games to be released. I'm in this situation.

get the ps3, it might be a while before it is this low in price. also the games are cheaper and can be bought used, right?

If you are willing to spend $400 on a console, then might as well get a PS3 + about 15-20 games and you will have about 150-200 hours of gaming ahead of you. Depending on schedule etc, that can be about half a year's worth of gaming (assuming about 2-3 hrs per day and 2-3 days per week).

With a $400 console like PS4, you will be stuck with a console and maybe about 2-3 games at best for now after paying almost ~$500 for it all (assuming 2 for 1 on the games).

Your call, your budget. For people on budget, I still recommend PS3 over PS4.

yeah I think you guys are right. I don't really need the latest and greatest and there are a bunch of fun titles on the ps3 that I wanted to try. I think it's a good call. I'm also kinda reluctant to pay $60 for every game I want to play for the PS4 as well.

I really love the PS3 and am playing it more now than ever.
Used games are very cheap and great. PSN plus is great also with nice free games.

I put a Seagate 1TB Hybrid drive in mine the other day and got a nice bump in load times. Depends on the game but boot time is better and I finally have space for all my stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I want a PS4, but at this point I am waiting for the kinks to work out with the launch day hardware and services, and for more better games to be released.

Poll on this topic HERE:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1793543

Personally, I'd say go for a PS3 and enjoy its rich library. However, instead of buying it new, I say check out Gamestop or a trusted buddy and buy it used. You'll be saving a lot of money (with Gamestop even offering warranties) and people will be trying to sell these things for cheap to purchase themselves a PS4 (or whatever their next gen system of choice is).

I also say go with the ps3. I have a few friends with the ps4 and there arent many games available yet. I would wait till the library grows on the ps4 or until they start releasing some really good game bundles with the ps4.

Do you want a really good media server? Are there PS3-only titles you want to play?

If the answer to either is yes, then it is worth picking up. Far more worth it than a PS4.

Still gaming on my original 80GB model. No plans to upgrade... maybe I will when the refresh hits. Cost aside, I don't see the point in either system at launch.

...No one has yet asked if you have a gaming PC?

if you do, for now i'd get a ps3 and enjoy some of the best games of "last gen" for a fraction of the price. Pick up the PS4 in 1.5-2 years down the road.

if its going to be your ONLY gaming device, i'd get a ps4.

but I would want to play the last of us, uncharted(s), resistance series, the ps2 titles that i didn't get to in HD, killzones, and others. There are some really good games out for the ps3, compared to a new slate of nothing for the ps4.

I'd leave the PS4 go for now. There's always a downside to early adoption, so unless you have to have the thing because it's the latest and greatest, PS3 all the way. If nothing else, the games library is solid. I need to grab the Killzone 1-3 pack eventually, but there's still so much available. I have two units, a fat style that I upgraded the 40GB to a 250GB and a super slim that came with Uncharted 3. After owning my 360 for a year now, I'll agree it's better than the PS3, but the PS3 controller isn't irritating as some think.

I've too many games on the 7th gen systems to really get too worked up over the new stuff. I might spring for an Xbox One when another Halo hits, but I'm not in a rush to grab either one. There just isn't any game that I'm dying to play...hell, I have enough as is.

Do you have a blu-ray player yet? PS3 is a pretty good blu-ray player.

Do you really want to play PS3 exclusives? God of War, Gran Turismo, etc.

If the answers are no and yes, get the PS3 deal at amazon.

...No one has yet asked if you have a gaming PC?

if you do, for now i'd get a ps3 and enjoy some of the best games of "last gen" for a fraction of the price. Pick up the PS4 in 1.5-2 years down the road.

if its going to be your ONLY gaming device, i'd get a ps4.

but I would want to play the last of us, uncharted(s), resistance series, the ps2 titles that i didn't get to in HD, killzones, and others. There are some really good games out for the ps3, compared to a new slate of nothing for the ps4.

I do have a gaming computer that is pretty high end. However I kinda want to get away from PC gaming. I just want to sit back on the couch and play with my wife some times and not with my friends on steam. LOL. I think there are a lot of advocates for the ps3 and I think for a good reason. $199 plus tons of cheap games is not a bad deal.

Do you have a blu-ray player yet? PS3 is a pretty good blu-ray player.

Do you really want to play PS3 exclusives? God of War, Gran Turismo, etc.

If the answers are no and yes, get the PS3 deal at amazon.

Nope, don't have a bluray player. Is the PS4 not a bluray player? Yes, I wanted to play gran turismo! I used to play the earlier series devotedly.

Yes, the ps3 plays bluray. So that is another thing in favor of the purchase.

I haven't played with consoles since the N64 (well played a couple of times on my sisters Gamecube), but I'm seriously considering getting the PS3 now for the MGS Legacy Collection, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Of Us, etc.

I haven't played with consoles since the N64 (well played a couple of times on my sisters Gamecube), but I'm seriously considering getting the PS3 now for the MGS Legacy Collection, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Of Us, etc.

Let's do it together. haha. I'm set on it, will be getting the PS3 last of us bundle. Can't wait until it becomes available!!!

My problem is the cost of a PS3 bundle along with another game or two is right there with the cost of the PS4, and down the road it would be the better purchase.

I got my PS3 for Blu-Ray player +

Ratchet and Clank (all of them released so far)
Uncharted (all of them released so far)

is $199 plus an average of $12 to $20 a game worth it? I think so.

i just bought the last of us bundle and love it! i regret nothing!!!!!!!! the games are fun and i played tekken revolution for free! haha

since you mentioned you have a wife might want to look into the move system and guitar hero

you can beat up on each other with swords, archery, disc golf, boxing, exercise games that are really good actually. and then play guitar, drums, sing, etc. just dance isn't a bad title either.

I got my guitar hero complete band setup for like $30 bucks or something brand new.
latest just dance for a buck. shadow of the colossus and ico collection is on sale for $10 bucks rift now (or was earlier today).

I got all the ratchet and clanks for like $20.
same with God of War.

easily some of the best gaming for the money.

If you want PS+ 1 year membership (for PS4, PS3 and Vita) then hit me a pm. Selling for 28 bucks.

Back