Buying a phone, Amazon vs Your carrier

Haven

Supreme [H]ardness
So here in a few days I have an upgrade coming. I am debating which phone still, I think I can hold out another month or two if I need to, but my poor OG Droid is so slow. I have been thinking of dropping it back to completely stock hoping to get some speed out of it.

So I was doing some looking around, and I found that prices are much cheaper if I order via Amazon instead of using Verizon's website.

The Droid Charge is $299 at Verizon with a 2 year contract. Amazon has the same phone for $189.

Note I am using the Charge as an example, not sure which phone I am going to get yet. I know I want 4G as 4G is available at my house, and a speedy processor. I want Android because I like it, though I could be tempted by a good iPhone 5, as I already have a ton of apps because of my iPod Touch and iPad. The Bionic and Galaxy S2 both look tempting.

What are the downsides of getting the phone from Amazon? I currently have the insurance on the smartphone, can I keep that if I get the phone from Amazon?

Thanks!

I've purchased from Amazon, Wirefly, etc. and directly from carriers. The only possible drawback if you buy from third parties is the extra fee ($200+ in addition to the carrier's fee) if you break contract before six months. If you need some kind of service/repair/replacement on the phone you can take it to a Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T or Sprint store or work directly with the carrier's customer service. I've done it several times and never was asked where I bought my phone.

I would purchase from Verizon. If there's some sort of recall for the phone somewhere down the line, sort of like what's happening with the Fascinate, buying from a 3rd party will exclude you from compensation.

I'm not too worried about leaving Verizon. So far I haven't been unhappy with the service I have gotten over the past decade.

So it shouldn't be an issue if I get the phone from a third party provider. Nifty.

I might have to trade in that never used HTC Touch Pro 2 for a credit and figure out what I really want.

i'd rather not go into a store, besides paying overpriced prices they are trying to shove you some useless accessories for $20 specially they love to sell you the crap that can be bought on ebay for $4

I would as well if US providers actually had discounted rates for buying your own phone.

there was something called even more plus, we bought our phones on tmo for the past 5 years, the cost of buying our own phones was more than just getting it subsidized.

The only reason to bring your own phone these days are the boutique prepaid services. Simple Mobile instead of T-Mobile, or Straight Talk instead of AT&T. Brought my own Infuse, pay $45/month for unlimited everything, but I'm assed out of luck if anything breaks on my phone.

Back