Buying a new WIFI Router - Which One Should I Get?

Quickstrike

Weaksauce
Currently using a D-Link DIR-655..

I would like to upgrade the unit to something that has better speed and range.

The Asus RT-AC87U was looking quite good, but then I saw Tom's Guide: 'Best Wi-Fi Routers 2015' and it mentioned that the 'Amped RTA1750' is the best router for a 'Large Home'.

The router will be in a ~5000 sq ft house. So range is quite important.

Max Price - looking at ~$300 USD.

Thanks for the help.

For 5000 sq feet I'd be looking at one WiFi router and an access point wired to it in the other side of the home as an option as well.

Also that Amped 1750 router did by far the worst in their long range speed test, so it seems pretty stupid they would reccomend it for a large home. If they got a few extra feet of range out of it, that doesn't mean shit if the connection is dreadfully slow.

Also the reccomend the WRT1900AC for DD WRT support even though DD WRT for it just launched barely a few weeks ago and doesn't seem very great. Most people run OpenWRT on it. But basically that whole recap seems pretty shit, like they were just trying to spread out some awards.

Last edited:
Grab a TP-Link WDR3600 or WDR4300, put OpenWRT on it and enable QoS. A single router/AP will have poor range so grab an additional AP that does both 2.4 and 5Ghz (running a cable is recommended).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0ED-001T-00001
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833168107 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0ED-001T-00001
//Danne

Thanks for the recommendations :).

I will probably end up ordering the TP-Link WDR3600 & EnGenius EAP600.

Can you recommend an Android App or Laptop Program that can help me determine the best places to mount/install the 2 AP's?
The main floor in the house is all one open area. It makes sense to install the TP-Link WDR3600 as close to the center of the main floor as I can?
And then walk around with my android phone or laptop and look for where the signal is weak.. and install the EnGenius AP somewhere around there? I would imagine though, that if I were to split the house into 3 quadrants, I would want the EnGenius AP in the center of one of those quadrants, not the end - ie. there is no use installing the AP at the furthest end of the house, because that would broadcast too much of the signal outside the house -- I hope that makes sense.

Thanks again for the help!

I would lean towards opposite corners when placing two APs, but have them in the center of those opposite quadrants (presume this house is rectangular shaped).

Also don't get a WDR3600 for coverage, get at least an Archer C7 if you go with TP Link. The C7 is well reknown for its range capabilities. You should be looking at AC WiFi gear at this point in time for the primary router.

Last edited:
Older version of inSSIDer on the laptop otherwise Netgear's Wifi Survey app on Android isn't that bad.
I'd advice you to place them as ocellaris suggested.

Code:
             The ASCII House v1.0

-----------------------------------------
|                   |                   |
|      |AP1|        |      |AP2|        |
|                   |                   |
-----------------------------------------

//Danne

diizzy, do you agree that the Archer C7 would be a good move, if I don't mind spending a little extra money?

Thanks.

I would avoid the C7 due to the fact that 11ac has worse wireless stability and the driver is far from great if you want to run OpenWRT or any other 3rd party firmware. In fact, if you care about stability avoid 11ac until 3rd/4th gen hardware is out. You can have a look at UBNTs forum regarding their 11ac APs, there are a lot of issues with that hardware just as an example.
//Danne

Ubiquiti put out bad / poorly supported APs and never fixed the situation (though they are launching new APs soon). That is on them and not on the industry as a whole. Early problematic hardware like the Netgear Nighthawk AC has been updated numerous times and is now rock solid. AC gear has been around for a couple years and manufactures are already multiple products, firmware updates, and hardware revisions into the AC lifecycle.

No router is going to be perfect and there are still N routers with problems being sold. I'd rather taking my chances with well supported newer hardware than buy years old products with slow speeds that may newer see an update again.

Last edited:
Except that you don't have any "well" supported hardware, at best you're looking at 2nd gen hardware and issues all over the place (Broadcom, Atheros). Haven't heard much about Mediatek in that regard but I guess they're the same. When you can run it for 200+ days without issues it's "stable", I have yet to find 11ac radio-hw that does that.
//Danne

Get a router that has good routing/firewall capabilities, turn off the built-in wifi if it has it and add a couple of Unifi UAP's, the original style. At $70 bucks a pop, they can't be beat. And, if the new AC Unifi's turn out to be solid products, the new AC Pro uses the same mount as the original UAP. When it comes down to it, consumer wifi just sucks balls, especially for a house that large. Commercial grade gear is the way to go and Unifi makes it easy to make that jump without being a network admin.

I would highly suggest checking out this site. I found their rankings and tests to be highly accurate and helpful.

Back