Buying a new rig - need some suggestions

Pez

[H]ard|Gawd
First, thanks in advance. I know there is no community anywhere better suited to help me config a new system.

Back in the day, I used to have the latest knowledge when it came to hardware. That was back when the Voodoo video cards were still around and we all got a good laugh at comparing the computing power of Celerons to celery sticks. Now it's all dual-core and quad-core, and SATA and RAID... I've been playing catchup, but since I've decided on getting a new rig, I'll need some help so I don't buy something stupid.

My budget will be between 2k and 3k. I suppose I could go over if it's justified. When it comes to who will get my business, Ava and Puget have good reputations, so I'll go with one of them. Before that, here's what I need from my system:
Great gaming performance
The ability to load and manipulate large Excel documents (in the tens of thousands of lines and such)

Right now my monitor is a 37" Westinghouse that a lot of members seem to have (or had). I may be upgrading that as well, but that will come later. So.. I'll need something that looks great on a large screen.

When it comes to video cards, I've always been an Nvidia man. I was thinking that GeForce GTX 280 OCX since it seems it will offer great performance for a long time. Would it be better to go with the 9800? If so, how many? I believe the 280 offers better performance than 2 SLI 9800's, but I may be wrong.

So, with the exception of Nvidia, I'm open to any brand.

Again, thanks for the help!

Some follow up info:

Currently run in 1920x1080 resolution
Do not plan on OC-ing
Only need the ability to burn CD's, not DVD's

For gaming, is the E8500 better than the Q6600?
Between the 280 and the 9800's, if I remember correctly, 2 9800's in SLI both cost and perform about the same as the 280 with current games, but I got the impression that the 280 would perform better when the next gen games come out.

My current rig is getting a bit old, and has been slowly falling apart. I'm on my third PSU, one of my two video cards has failed, and now I'm getting some bios warnings at start up. I've gone through some of the setups others have used on here, but I'm not sure if they would be good for me.

Thanks!

At 1920x1080 resolution, neither the Q6600 or E8500 will have a performance advantage over the other. In other words, they'll provide the same amount of performance at that high of a resolution with most games. It's only at lower resolutions, below 1280x1024, where the E8500 will beat the Q6600 with most games.

While yes 9800GTX SLI does perform on par with the GTX 280, the price difference is only $30 or so. But GTX SLI would require you buying a Nvidia SLI motherboard. So I recommend getting the GTX 280 instead since it will allow you to get an Intel chipset motherboard which are more stable, reliable and cooler running than Nvdia chipsets for Intel CPUs.

However if you can wait a bit and since you have a pretty huge budget, you might want to check out the HD4870 X2 when it is released this month. It's a serious performance beast:
http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTUzMSwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

Power supply wise, go with either Corsair 750TX 750W or PC Power&Cooling Silencer 750W. Both are solid PSU choices.

Motherboard wise, I recommend the following motherboards:
Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L Intel P43 Motherboard - $85
MSI P45 Neo3-FR Intel P45 Motherboard - $107
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R Intel P45 Motherboard - $125
Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 Motherboard - $140
DFI Lanparty DK X38-T2R Intel X38 Motherboard - $180
Asus P5E Deluxe Intel X48 Motherboard - $220
Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Intel X48 Motherboard - $225

Just to help you out: All of these motherboards have PCI-E 2.0 which may be useful for future GPU upgrades. If you don't need RAID, more than 6 SATA ports and only need semi-decent overclocking, check out the DS3L. If you need 8 SATA ports, RAID, 4 PCI slots, and legacy ports, then get the Neo3-Fr. If you don't need more than 6 SATA ports but want RAID, firewire, a second PCI-E x16 port, a second gigabit port, support for 16GB of RAM, optional eSATA, x8/x8 Crossfire, and high overclocks, then get the DS3R. If you like the DS3R but need 8 SATA ports, want an onboard pre-installed fast booting Linux setup, only need support for 8GB of RAM and don't need a second gigabit port, get the Asus P5Q Pro. If you want Crossfire with full x16/x16 bandwidth, get the Lanparty DK X38. If you have cash to burn and don't give a damn about getting the most value for your money, get the Asus or Gigabyte X48 motherboards. Do note that the Asus website can be slow sometimes.

No offense to any of the online e-tailers, but they over charge in my opinion. With your budget you can build a beat of a computer, one that would be far better and less expensive (ie same specs on above mentioned sights would go from a 2k pc to a 4k pc).

It really isn't that hard to build a computer these days, I had zero experience, and had a system built from an e-tailer a little over 2 years ago, had major problems with some components and shipping it back and forth, so finally did some research and just had them send me the parts and fixed it myself. I have since built 6 pc's for others (only 1 for my self I am poor lol).

There are 1000's of tutorials all over the web, and since you are staying with your current monitor for now, with a budget like 3k you can build top of the line.

I agree with Danny Bui, that you should wait for the 4870x2 to come out as it will be the current high end king of the hill for a while, and if you get a good X48 (or 38 even) board, quad xfire is a possibility.

The asus rampage formula x48 board is another great choice for a board.

I wouldn't make the jump to DDR3 ram just yet.

I would say get one of the Q9550 cpu's to start it off.

I can put together a "test" rig as far as a parts list goes, just need a little information as to what kind of things you like in your pc (case, window, lights etc...), and what exactly else do you need (speakers, mouse, keyboard etc...).

SLI and xfire are ok, but I think a high end single card in the end is the best solution, and spending less upfront, then just upgrade more often instead.

It really isn't that hard to build a computer these days, I had zero experience, and had a system built from an e-tailer a little over 2 years ago, had major problems with some components and shipping it back and forth, so finally did some research and just had them send me the parts and fixed it myself.

It does take time and a bit of effort to build a solid, stable and fast PC. And not many people have that kind of time to build a PC let alone troubleshoot any part incompatibilities, problems and configuration errors. So the OP may be one of those people who simply don't have the time nor energy to build a PC.

Eh, there's always at least one person in every thread who mentions "you can build this cheaper"--and believe it or not, I'm actually a proponent of that. I build my own systems. If you have spare time and want to do it yourself, I say go for it.

Custom systems built by a reputable manufacturer are perfect for people who want something different but don't have the time or desire to build it. We simply fill the niche in between the big manufacturers and the home-build enthusiasts by offering to do the work and provide the support.

If you have any questions about Puget, feel free to call me or email me at [email protected].

Eh, there's always at least one person in every thread who mentions "you can build this cheaper"--and believe it or not, I'm actually a proponent of that. I build my own systems. If you have spare time and want to do it yourself, I say go for it.

Custom systems built by a reputable manufacturer are perfect for people who want something different but don't have the time or desire to build it. We simply fill the niche in between the big manufacturers and the home-build enthusiasts by offering to do the work and provide the support.

If you have any questions about Puget, feel free to call me or email me at [email protected].

I agree with that completely...companies like yours definitely serve their purpose, and there are a lot more people out there that are not capable of building their own systems, nor have any interest to devote the kind of time and dedication it takes. I simply meant to state that it can be done, and for those on a budget it is the better route to take.

To be a 100% honest, if I could afford it I would gladly have had one of the systems put together over at Puget, I have browsed their pages many times daydreaming about some beastly Qx Pc with a slick case and custom paint job. But for me reality slaps me in the face when the wife yells at me to go get some diapers, and I just sigh and go on with life lol...

I understand--for a lot of people, it does come down to whether they can afford the luxury of having someone do it for you.

I have three kids myself, and if you can support your own system, building your own is the most affordable option...of course, I haven't had time to worry with my own rig, which means that playing AoC has been a depressing experience so far. :(

I have 3 also, and I bought AOC mmm a month and a half ago...I didn't even play more than 2 days on the free 30 days they offered with it lol...As soon as I hit my 50 mark post I will probably add that to some of the stuff I am going to try and trade lol

It was a fun experience building my very first system from the ground up (built others for friends first), but extremely frustrating at times, and taxing on the nerves. It was actually easier to over clock the cpu and ram then put all of the components together hehe...not time wise, as I tested prime 95 for a min. of 4 hours each time, and to get to a stable oc that I could use 24/7 took me about a week in all.

But promotions are coming, and next year may be the year I get to have the exact pc I want lol we will see.

Thanks for the advice so far.

To those who said I could build a better computer cheaper than I could get from a retailer, I'll admit that I already know that. I used to build computers back in the day when I had the time for it, built for myself, family and friends. Now, I just don't have the time. Last week I'd say I averaged 11 hour work days, and even had to put in some hours on the weekend. As technology advances and gets more complex, it's just easier and more convenient to have someone else do it for you. It's not like it's difficult to build a computer... get a case, hook up a mobo, set up the CPU, get the PSU and any drives in, put in any cards, hook up all the wires, and hit the power button. It probably easier (and quicker) to build a computer than to install and set up Windows these days.

After looking at the previews of the HD4870 X2, I have to say I'm quite impressed with it. I've been an Nvidia man since they first came out. It's strange, in the past, I've always had AMD cpu's and Nvidia video cards. Now, I'm going to end up getting an Intel cpu and an ATI video card. I almost feel like a traitor. But with those performance specs from a beta card, I don't think Nvidia can complain.

So now I guess I need something better. Help me design a system around the 4870 X2. I'm sure either Joe or Heather (thanks for your input in here Heather - if the people in my company were a quarter as dedicated to the client as you are, my company would be in the top 5 in our industry in the country instead of #8) would be more than happy to sell it to me once the card is out and in stock. And, what if I want to run in a higher resolution than 1920x1080, what would be the best cpu and mobo to go with the 4870 X2?

And, what if I want to run in a higher resolution than 1920x1080, what would be the best cpu and mobo to go with the 4870 X2?

Just about any motherboard that I listed a few posts ago with be good enough for the HD 4870X2. There aren't certain motherboards where certain video cards get a performance boost.

As for the CPU, at 1920x1080 gameplay, you're more GPU limited than CPU limited. So in other words, either the E8400 or Q6600 are good choice.

I'm sure either Joe or Heather (thanks for your input in here Heather - if the people in my company were a quarter as dedicated to the client as you are, my company would be in the top 5 in our industry in the country instead of #8) would be more than happy to sell it to me once the card is out and in stock.QUOTE]

Thanks, Pezzy!

I'll let the good folks here help you hammer out a config, and of course, we will definitely build it for you if you decide you'd like to go with us. I can put you in touch with one of our sales reps, but to be honest, the [H] regulars really know their stuff and can do just as well.

HotHardware has a review of the Velocity Micro Edge Z55 and they gave it rave reviews. It wasnt the fastest but it can be configured to be faster but it got high marks for reliability and customer service.

Click Here to Read

HotHardware has a review of the Velocity Micro Edge Z55 and they gave it rave reviews. It wasnt the fastest but it can be configured to be faster but it got high marks for reliability and customer service.

Click Here to Read

Whenever I go to VM's site I can't get past the plain Jane square cases. :(

Once I do get past that I hate that I don't have more than a couple choices on things.

For example, on the Edge Z55 I get my choice of 5 different processors, 2 different PSU's, 2 different mobo's, 5 different memory choices, and 15 different GPU configurations.

Only two different motherboards??

I guess I am spoiled by AVA and Pugets (and even Cyberpowers!!!) online configurators.

I don't know this at all but I imagine VM would build anything you wanted if you just make a phone call, but I can't see myself picking up the phone when I am looking at those damn ugly cases AND the extreme lack of options.

The thing I like about VM is they dont out source their tech support. As for motherboard selection they probably trying to keep it simple. AMD platform Or Intel. It's better in my opinion to get two very good and stable platforms than to have 80 options and none of them highly tested. HH mentioned that in the 30 days they tested the system never crashed or blue screened once. Very stable. My biggest complaint is I only see nvidia as an option, so in that regard more options is definately needed.

Yeah, I don't doubt the stability of their systems at all. I hear their systems are monsters.

I have no problem with that side of the fence...just the lack of options.

And yes, not out sourcing their tech support is a big plus.

The thing I like about VM is they dont out source their tech support. As for motherboard selection they probably trying to keep it simple. AMD platform Or Intel. It's better in my opinion to get two very good and stable platforms than to have 80 options and none of them highly tested. HH mentioned that in the 30 days they tested the system never crashed or blue screened once. Very stable. My biggest complaint is I only see nvidia as an option, so in that regard more options is definately needed.

You'll find that none of the boutique builders outsource--VM, AVA, Puget, Maingear, and Falcon all do their support in house. It's probably our biggest collective selling point.

You'll find that none of the boutique builders outsource--VM, AVA, Puget, Maingear, and Falcon all do their support in house. It's probably our biggest collective selling point.

I think you guys not outsourcing is a given. :D Why else would you have the ungodly reseller rating you have? :)

Back