Buying A New Mouse

Hot Sauce

Limp Gawd
I'm planning on buying a new mouse, but I'm not sure which one. I do a lot of gaming and I noticed that my wired mouse responds faster than the wireless one; is this normally the case? If it is, then I'll probably have to choose a wired one.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a mouse around $50 CA?

Thanks a lot.

wired mice does perform better for the most part than wireless mice. as for which one to get that's all relative. it depends on what you look for in a mice, number of buttons, sensitivity, etc. my suggestion, go to a local computer store where they have the more popular mice on display and see which one fits you best. then find it online. trust me, i've gone through 4 different mice setups in the past year, from a slightly modded mx510 to a razer copperhead to a msie 3.0 to a g5 and then i finally settled on the msie 3.0.

i have had a G7 wireless (great and no lag) , Mx5000 bluetooth wireless (lags like hell) an old 900mhz logitech wireless freedom mouse (optical and no lag) a G5 (good but i hate wires)

I would suggest the g5 or g7 depending on $$ and if you care for wireless

IMO and I play a lot of FPS games (BF2, BF2142, CS:S, Oblivion, FEAR)

I like the big mouse the supports the hand.. the razor mice seem to small to me and my hand cramps after a while... specifically my pinky finger

I got a Logitech MX518. I really like it for gaming. Especially the ability to change dpi on the fly.

IMO wired is the way to go, very little chance for any lag issues and lot less heavy. I use a Logitech G3 mouse, it's a smaller mouse then the G5 and lighter. it does not have the weight pack like the G5 (I don't care for it anyways) but uses the same laser tech that the G5 has.

MOUSE EVER, you can change the speed & adjust the weight

You Will Love it 2

I really do like my G7!

However I want to get a Deathadder by Razer, I've heard wonderful things about those.

Also, I loved my mx518 before it broke. :(

yeah, G5, for sure. Unless you have a particular reason to go cordless, the G5 is the best mouse i've found. the weight cartridge is great, and lets you get it exactly how you want it. you'd be amazed how much that matters. and believe it or not, from time to time, it's reallly nice to adjust the sensitivity on the fly..

I've owned pretty much all the latest Logitech mice including the MX510, MX518, MX1000, G5, G7, and VX Revolution. I don't really care for the shape and feel of the G5 and the battery life on the G7 is not very good. I found myself constantly swapping between the two little battery packs. I would suggest looking at something else like the Microsoft Habu, Razer Death Adder, or Razer Copperhead maybe. If you're going with a Logitech mouse then go with the MX518.

I love my Microsoft Habu: the body of an Intellimouse with the engine of a Razer Copperhead. :D I will admit, though, that the initial setup took a little bit before everything became smooth.

If I were to buy a new mouse today (going from a mx510) I would get that new version of the G5 with the 2 side thumb buttons, that is a nice mouse.

i have had a G7 wireless (great and no lag)

Lag is relative. There is a .005/sec delay time with any wireless mouse. Wireless right now is not any faster or even as fast as wired.

I use the MX Revolution, I would look into that. .

i have the G3, G5, and MX revolution. out of all of them i like both of the G mice better. the Revo lagged to me and it didn't feel right when i used it.

i just recent got the G5 from the dell deal. so far, it looks to be a keeper. the weights i thought were a gimmick but i don't think that now after using them. the only thing i don't like about it is the color scheme, if they only didn't have that orange/brown rust color and just have it silver faded into black, that would look great.

the G3 is a great mouse, its just that it has the tendency to not detect when i turn on my computer so i have to unplug it and replug it to get it to work. it gets annoying sometime but it happens everynow and then, very random. i'm not the only one to experiance it, if you check logitech's forums there are users on there having the same issue. i'm pretty sure a firmware update would fix it but i guess logitech would rather focus on their more popular products since i don't seem many G3 users.

i vote G5 :)

I guess I'm the oddball of the group. So far the mouse I like the most is the MX1000. Mouse choice is a personal thing though. What one person likes another may not. I've tried alot of them. I havent tried the MX Revolution yet though. I may give it a go on the next build and see if I like it.

My local CompUSA store has all the popular mice out on their shelves to touch and feel. I dont buy a mouse if I cant handle one first. Just a personal rule I have. Try and find a brick and mortar store near you that has a wide selection that you can go and handle. See if they feel good in your hand or not before buying.

I have medium sized hands and I think the g5 is a little bit too big. I still use it, but I haven't found anything I like better.

I wish they made a wired MX Revolution as I find the design really comfortable.

Thanks a lot everybody for all your replies!
So it seems that you guys really like the G5's, G7's, and the MX518. However, the G7 is a bit out of my price range, so the MX518 and G5 look like pretty good options (price-wise). At my local store the G5 is only $2 more than the MX518; so I was wondering, which one is better (or is it so close that it comes down to preference)? Also, I hear the Razers are top of the line, but it doesn't seem like you guys are big fans.

I've never used the wider style mouses like the ones you guys recommend; I'm still using this small sized Logitech under 1000 DPI:eek: . Do you think there would be any discomfort switching from a small one to a big one?

I've decided that I'll stay wired since you guys have mentioned lag issues with wireless mice.
I'm very grateful for all your replies, they've helped a ton! :D

If your local store isn't carrying the new G5 (the blue one) and another button is going to be a dealbreaker for you, probably the 518. however, if another button isn't going to mean a lick of difference and would instead trade it off with a higher sensitivity level, definitely go for the G5.

I've tried both the 518 and the G5. You really can't go wrong with either mouse. I personally like the G5 because of the weight set. You never think the weight of a mouse makes a difference until you start playing some intense first person shooters. Then you realize it can make all the difference in the world. Moreso if the mouse you used previously was heavy as hell. Mine was a Logitech Dual Optical. That thing was big, and heavy. But man, I've never made so many headshots till I had that mouse. :p

Don't shoot me for this, but I love the Creative Fatality 1010. It's accurate, strong and nimble. It is perfect for FPS but I would NOT recommend it for casual use such as surfing the internets. It has the same features as other more expensive mouses such on the fly DPI changes and different weights to help give it that 'right' feel. Its wired and very short for a mouse. You grip it like a claw which in my case, provides more accuracy and better movement.

I got the mouse free after rebate and its always coming around in such sales from ewiz and stuff. If you can get it for free, it is the best mouse available.

I'm planning on buying a new mouse, but I'm not sure which one. I do a lot of gaming and I noticed that my wired mouse responds faster than the wireless one; is this normally the case? If it is, then I'll probably have to choose a wired one.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a mouse around $50 CA?

Thanks a lot.

I just bought a new mouse this week actually. I can recommend the Logitech MX-518 gaming mouse. You can change on the fly the mouse sensitivity settings while in game or out up to 1600. I bought mine on eBay for $28.00 last week brand new. Mine has the bullet hole marks in it or dents in the finish.

whatever you do use a stores return policy to the max! TEST THEM ALL!!! dont wonder ;) ...I use staples on all new keboards and mice. 518 FTW! g'luk

if you've settled on the g5 you might want to get to newer revision for the second thumb button.

I agree, make sure you get the Revision 2 version of the g5. The extra button is huge in games.

Thanks a lot everybody for all your replies!
So it seems that you guys really like the G5's, G7's, and the MX518. However, the G7 is a bit out of my price range, so the MX518 and G5 look like pretty good options (price-wise). At my local store the G5 is only $2 more than the MX518; so I was wondering, which one is better (or is it so close that it comes down to preference)? Also, I hear the Razers are top of the line, but it doesn't seem like you guys are big fans.

I've never used the wider style mouses like the ones you guys recommend; I'm still using this small sized Logitech under 1000 DPI:eek: . Do you think there would be any discomfort switching from a small one to a big one?

I've decided that I'll stay wired since you guys have mentioned lag issues with wireless mice.
I'm very grateful for all your replies, they've helped a ton! :D

You know what? Scratch the whole lag crap. I can BARELY feel it with my MX Revolution. If all I did was game, I'd probably use the G5. But since I post here, do some CS2 ect ect I need a practical mouse for everyday use. The MX is much more usable for daily tasks. I would really look into the MX Revolution, and hard. Because it's a great mouse, and I wouldn't trade any mouse in the world and nothing would change. This is a great mouse, and I know that if you buy the G5 you'll hate yourself for it, like I do.

I have both my MX Revolution and my G5 hooked up to my PC, and I havn't touched my G5 for three days, and last time I did it was because my MX was charging :rolleyes: . The G5 is a great mouse, don't get me wrong, but if you have anything other than game on a PC which most people do then IMO it's not very practical.

The G5 doesn't even have a page forward button :( .

The MX Revo matched with a RatPadz XT and the G15 is an awesome combo.

Shell out the extra $20-$25 and get a mouse that will really do whatever you need it to. Heck, I've used my MX from across the room through a wall :D

FIDDY's 2C's.

Just to help out a little

G5 rev 1 with the 1 thumb button with the rust look.

G5 REV1

G5 rev 2 with the 2 thumb buttons in a blue black rubber type feel

G5 REV2

Let's just say I've gone thru a ton of mouse / mousemat combinations, and have currently ended up at the MS Laser Mouse 6000 and a Steelpad QcK which I find to be perfect for FPS gaming.

The mouse is very similar to the (famed) IntelliMouse 3.0, except with a 1600dpi laser. :)

another oddball here:D

i dont care for logitech mice, the razer copperhead/death adder IMO, is a much better mouse.
i have the 510 and the 518 also besides all the razer mice.
the 510/518 is too round, it cramps my hand, but do like the button setups.
On the 510 i had (still do) the left mouse button broke, and kept double clicking EVERYTHING.

I just went out and got the death adder and i have to say i like it better than the copperhead, something i never thought i'd say :eek:

awesome mouse, highly recommended:cool:

Back