Buying a monitor, will pc bottleneck it?

SquallRealm

Limp Gawd
I am in process of buying a monitor,
My specs are:
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2
MSI 770-G45 AM3
SAPPHIRE HD 4670 1GB GDDR3 PCI-E
Crucial 2GB 240-pin PC3-8500 DIMM DDR3

So far, I am able to play most games on full settings with resolution of 1280x1024.

Will it be okay to go for the 1920x1080 resolution monitor?

Depends on what games you play and what settings you like. If you want to say max out BFBC2 with AA, then no your 4670 won't do too well at 1920x1080. But if you just want to play CS:S all day, you're fine.

Also, monitor bottleneck lol.

1920x1080 is 2,073,600 pixels. 1280x1024 is 1,310,720 pixels. That's 58% more pixels that your card has to handle. I think the others gave you a good idea of what performance will be like with that card at that resolution, but generally speaking, yes, that res will be a decent bit harder to push.

Alright.. I expected that, but I don't have to play at that resolution, correct.
It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to lower the resolution in games that struggle?

Depends on what games you play and what settings you like. If you want to say max out BFBC2 with AA, then no your 4670 won't do too well at 1920x1080. But if you just want to play CS:S all day, you're fine.

Also, monitor bottleneck lol.

Hey don't laugh I just picked up a 28" Monitor that made me need to upgrade my video card haha.

Correct, you could lower the resolution. But you won't... lcd's look their best at the native resolution, anything less will have you switching back to the 1920x1200/1080 pretty darn quick casue image qaulity goes down the shitter. I think you'll be able to handle games with mid settings. 4 to 8 AF and maybe at best 2x's AA. And still be content with fps.

Now if your a frames whore and need everything cranked pulling 100fps... you won't do that. A 5850 would fit that build like a tight glove. ;)

If you go LCD and run at a non-native resolution, you might run into some display issues. If you run a lower resolution and stretch it to fit the whole monitor, the display's pixels won't match up exactly to the LCD's pixels, so it can look funny. Just switch your desktop to a different resolution if you want to see an example. Another option is to display the lower resolution only on that many pixels. This is sort of like letterboxing of a movie on a TV with a different aspect ratio. The game's pixels will match exactly to the LCD's pixels, but you'll only be using part of your monitor's area.

1600x900 probably wouldnt look bad at all. it looked decent the couple times i used it to record video using fraps in-game on my 37" 1080p screen.

Back