Buying a 4k monitor for kids gaming and everything else that a casual home user does with his pc.

sram

[H]ard|Gawd
I previously discussed this setup before here:
https://hardforum.com/threads/just-...-give-me-comments-it-is-for-a-friend.2014360/

What monitor would you recommend for him? He said he is willing to spend up to 1000 USD on the monitor, and then decide on the video card as it is the only internal component that he didn't buy. I saw this Gigabyte M32U in rtings.com and I think it looks good.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/gigabyte/m32u

But I feel that he can get by a lower priced one. No need to go overkill with the monitor. I haven't used/owned a 4k monitor before so I don't know. What do you think?

This is not 4k but it is ultra-wide and curved which he likes
4k is mainly for text clarity. So if he is mostly gaming and watching movies a 1440p 27" monitor should be more than enough. If he spends most of his screen time reading on it is where the 4k 32" or even at 27" would be better. Not sure about Xiaomi in the monitor space but there should be enough ultrawides in that price range to choose from, just stick to IPS (which the xiaomi is not, it's a samsung VA panel) if it's mainly for gaming, VA is mostly miss for gaming due to ghosting issues.

Yeah, I can see that the xiaomi is not IPS but its price is tempting. For myself, I have only gotten IPS monitors. I think I'll just stick to IPS. If 4k is only for text clarity, then why everybody is willing to get a 4k resolution monitor to game with? I mean, why is 4k a thing for gaming? Excuse my ignorance, but for me, higher resolution = more real state in a monitor

Yeah, I can see that the xiaomi is not IPS but its price is tempting. For myself, I have only gotten IPS monitors. I think I'll just stick to IPS. If 4k is only for text clarity, then why everybody is willing to get a 4k resolution monitor to game with? I mean, why is 4k a thing for gaming? Excuse my ignorance, but for me, higher resolution = more real state in a monitor
He's ignorant of what resolution does, is why. 4k is an enormous image quality and clarity boost at high ppi, but it takes a lot more grunt to run. I've been on 4k since 2014, and wouldn't dream of going back to 1440 or 1600p, which I'd used since 2008 before that. :)

Definitely stick to ips for your choice over VA for gaming... Regardless of resolution.

He's ignorant of what resolution does, is why. 4k is an enormous image quality and clarity boost at high ppi
Maybe read the original message and not what others interpreted it before accusing. I said text clarity benefits from 4k the MOST and stand by it, a benefit you get at no computational cost. Never did I say games won't benefit, but I don't consider it worth the cost for now, unless surprise surprise it's a text heavy game. Old games won't benefit that much since textures didn't have the detail to begin with and new ones you won't be able to run at 4k unless you have a 3090 TI. For movies you have the issue of file size. I'm running on 4k since 4 years now, and know exactly where it shines.

Excuse my ignorance, but for me, higher resolution = more real state in a monitor
That's only true up to a point. You wont be running a 5k 27" monitor at 100% scale (it will be at 200%) so you will get extra detail, not extra real estate.

Back