Buying a 4090 card

I am going to upgrade to a 4090 I think.. I have the psu, platform, and case airflow for it... then park on this setup for a good while. Gonna sell off my 4080 here... well under MSRP..

https://us-store.msi.com/Graphics-C...TX-40-Series/GeForce-RTX-4090-GAMING-TRIO-24G

1599! .. it's the base model with a couple less VRMs but I am not looking to overclock. I am also looking at the Zotac AMP version.. just because the card looks like a space ship. It's pretty cool
(not my card obv..)

Zotac amp 4090.jpg

Last edited:
Under most circumstances it is fairly pointless, but 11900k already leaves a lot on the table compared to the next two generations. Ignoring JDEC specs, fiddling with Ram can net up to about 5% more frames and further help with frame lows compared to untuned but otherwise decent memory. That's something potentially worth doing as opposed to trying to have a full 16x set of lanes on Z590 for the card.
This is wrong. If you are purchasing a 4090 you should be gaming at 4k or above. At that resolution or higher the difference between my 10850k and a 13900k is about 5-10 fps. Not nearly "alot on the table" and definitely not worth changing platforms for; especially when you're already getting above 120 fps or more.

I landed on the MSI gaming x trio 4090... arrives tomorrow.. chose that specifically because of lower power limit and best cost while still being a very good card. I am not OCing or looking to WC or anything.. just plug n play!. . . and it seems like all of these 4090s run with a very close level of performance from one another.. So wanted one with a little less power draw.. It's also basically the 4090 version of the 4080 I have now and I know my little revenant figure works perfect as an anti-gpu sag bracket with this card/cooler lol!

I landed on the MSI gaming x trio 4090... arrives tomorrow.. chose that specifically because of lower power limit and best cost while still being a very good card. I am not OCing or looking to WC or anything.. just plug n play!. . . and it seems like all of these 4090s run with a very close level of performance from one another.. So wanted one with a little less power draw.. It's also basically the 4090 version of the 4080 I have now and I know my little revenant figure works perfect as an anti-gpu sag bracket with this card/cooler lol!
I have the same one. It's such a sweet card. I even threw a EK Quantum Vector 2 block on it. It runs incredibly cool and performance is phenomenal. Good choice.

I have the same one. It's such a sweet card. I even threw a EK Quantum Vector 2 block on it. It runs incredibly cool and performance is phenomenal. Good choice.
Nice.. yeah this thing is silly fast, quiet, and cool. Maxing out at like 64c and I can't hear anything with the fan switch on "gaming" mode. Works for me.

NOTE: the cooler on the msi gaming x 4090 is about a 1/3 of an inch thicker than the same looking cooler on the 4080 variant of the msi gaming x same card. The supplied anti-sag brace is pretty useless but the card _barely_ sags at all iwith all three screws in tight against the pci slots. It's so minor that it doesn't bother me at all - can't tell without a level - and normally that kind of stuff really bugs me.. so it's really slight. I still might look for a black post style brace to support the end of the card to take the weight off the pci-e slot heh.

edit: will probably get this: https://www.amazon.com/Graphics-Brace-Support-Holder-Bracket/dp/B09FPJL1KY

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice.. yeah this thing is silly fast, quiet, and cool. Maxing out at like 64c and I can't hear anything with the fan switch on "gaming" mode. Works for me.

NOTE: the cooler on the msi gaming x 4090 is about a 1/3 of an inch thicker than the same looking cooler on the 4080 variant of the msi gaming x same card. The supplied anti-sag brace is pretty useless but the card _barely_ sags at all iwith all three screws in tight against the pci slots. It's so minor that it doesn't bother me at all - can't tell without a level - and normally that kind of stuff really bugs me.. so it's really slight. I still might look for a black post style brace to support the end of the card to take the weight off the pci-e slot heh.

edit: will probably get this: https://www.amazon.com/Graphics-Brace-Support-Holder-Bracket/dp/B09FPJL1KY
I have a similar one to that. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FNY1RLM/ref=dp_iou_view_item?ie=UTF8&th=1

brace.jpg

Thanks! I saw that one.. it's just right at 2 inches (50mm maxed out) and I need something with just a tiny bit more height.. the one I posted is 55mm with the top bit removed which I think will be ideal.
stick a rubber foot to the bottom to gain the bit you need or try the other one.

I just use the tool that came with my TUF. Provides perfect support and is magnetic so attaches to the Lian Li 011D Evo.

Last edited:
Anyone here have coil whine issues on their 4090s? I am reading about a ton of them with it.. I haven't had any issues with whine since upgrading my PSU to this Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB 1250W Titanium 5 years ago..

Anyone here have coil whine issues on their 4090s? I am reading about a ton of them with it.. I haven't had any issues with whine since upgrading my PSU to this Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB 1250W Titanium 5 years ago..
Corsair RMx RM1200w and no issues with a Gigabyte Gaming OC model

Nice. I think these very power hungry cards are stressing psus and causing much of the whine. I also think it will vary from card to card too.. but a good high quality 1000+ w and digital is a plus. Good clean power - no stress. The whine is caused power surges and cap vibration at max draw ..

I think in 90% of cases the power supply doesn't have a thing to do with it. And this topic has been discussed to death over the years and there's nothing that can be said that hasn't already been said a thousand times.

Welp.. I have my opinions and they're not always popular. yeah I reckon that dead horse should be left alone.

I finally got to really push my 4090 last night.. wow. I was pegged 115fps during the Cyberpunk benchmark with psycho ray tracing and everything maxed but with DLSS3 enabled in quality mode.. NO path tracing enabled... G-sync enabled, global v-sync on, in game v-sync off.. my display is 120hz so I guess g-sync was undercutting the display max to keep things smooth? never seen 115hz capped / pegged like that. the benchmark results showed a max fps is 120 and min of 111.. I just saw 115 the whole time..

The 4080 which I just swapped out with some IQ sacrifices (anistropic at medium, DLSS3 performance mode, ray tracing not max) was bouncing between 90 and 110fps in the benchmark.. So the 4090 is for sure a legit jump up. I know on paper it is but hadn't really pushed it yet.

Played a bunch of Halo Inf too and can max out every option in that at 4k and it's smooth as butter - looks fantastic too. That game is so polished.

I also fired up STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl last night and maxed that out at 4k.. it was my old coin whine test, didn't hear anything but it might just be too easy for the 4090 lol.

Gonna play some Sons of the Forrest and Generation Zero tonight.. Both of those look fantastic all maxed out at 4k. I am using reshade on Gen Zero to make it pop a little more.. it looked washed out kind of, diffused or something..

EDIT: I downloaded the Matrix city demo from this reddit post, it's got the superman mod in it, and WOW.. runs fantastic on the 4090. The city realism detail is incredible and is HUGE. the superman mod is the perfect way to explore it too. https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/z7ks84/unreal_engine_5_gamesdemos/

Last edited:
I am getting full screen artifacts randomly every 10 to 20 mins or so.. just for an instant …like the whole screen glitches for just a micro-second… took me a couple days to be sure, thought I was seeing things.. but it's for sure happening.. playing sons of the forrest at night (in the game) it really smacks you in the face.. I played with power limits and such, gets worse.. the card performs best at bone stock..

Gonna roll back drivers maybe but might be returning this card.. kept the 4080 just in case.. didn’t see any of this with that card. Might be retuning this one. No issues at all besides that.. reseated HDMI cable at both ends.. testing more …

I am getting full screen artifacts randomly every 10 to 20 mins or so.. just for an instant …like the whole screen glitches for just a micro-second… took me a couple days to be sure, thought I was seeing things.. but it's for sure happening.. playing sons of the forrest at night (in the game) it really smacks you in the face.. I played with power limits and such, gets worse.. the card performs best at bone stock..

Gonna roll back drivers maybe but might be returning this card.. kept the 4080 just in case.. didn’t see any of this with that card. Might be retuning this one. No issues at all besides that.. reseated HDMI cable at both ends.. testing more …
Could be the monitor?

I read that the Gigabyte Gaming OC model has the least amount of coil whine reports. The MSI Trio card is also a good choice, imho. The Zotac cards seem to have good reviews (no coil whine) as well and are among the cheapest 4090s, at least here.

Last edited:
Could be the monitor?

Could be.. it's a brand new LG C2.. HDMI cable is brand new 8k rated etc.. I didn't see any of this with the 4080 with all the same hardware from the GPU on. I noticed it first while test playing STALKER for coil whine.. Saw a weird flash in game so I dropped out of the game and even saw my windows desktop glitch for like a split second, like the bottom half screen corrupted for just a flash.. thought I was seeing stuff, Ive had a cold or something and feeling like crap, head not in the best space so just rebooted.

Tuesday eve after STALKER:
Played Halo Inf for like an hour... didn't see a thing... man that game is so polished. I put everything to max/ultra/ray tracing at 4k.. smooth as butter.. no glitches
Played Cyberpunk, put everything to max / pyscho (no path tracing tho).. I saw some weird artifacts on the textures of the environment when I received calls.. But apparently this is a known DLSS bug. Honestly CP is a terrible game to test this with..damn screen goes haywire on purpose in this game lol!

Yesterday:
I had the Matrix City Supes demo on just in the background while I was working, I noticed the screen flash a couple times while I was turned to my workstation.. "I was like WTF is that?" I suspect this might have been windows trying to put my the screen saver on - going to disable that and test again today -- but this was what got me really going WTF? I was messing around with Afterburner too with power limits and stuff.. I saw some screen glitches while moving around the city when altering the power/temp limits.. Card was drawing 360w max but as low as 330w and staying at or below 67c... I saw spikes up to 98% gpu activity... mostly hovered around 90%... at bone stock the glitches seemed almost 100% gone.. but that is some shit I downloaded off the internet and stuff. Should not be a benchmark of stability at all. The dev even said it might be glitchy.. Gonna play around with it some more today though.. it's pretty cool. Reminds me of flying in my dreams almost exactly.. when I lucid dream.

Played Sons of the Forest for the first time really, for like an hour.. wow gorgeous game, but saw a full screen orange glitch for just a flash.. might have been a health alert. Checking with reddit on that.

I think I am seeing normal stuff, just being paranoid now.. I think I might do a fresh full clean driver re-install of the latest Nvidia drivers and do a scan rebuild of the files for these games.. just to be sure.

LOL yes I know I am neurotic.

btw happy 4/20 all

Last edited:
No coil whine here. Sig has my specs.

839AB370-C89B-416C-A2D5-70725C9517AC.jpeg

GPU brace engaged. The taller one with the adjustable bit removed is perfect for me. Didn’t need LRF either. Has a magnetic bottom with rubber. There's a little overhang but It kind of nestled into place there so just left it.. Boom shacka lacka!

EDIT:

ok running the Matrix City demo for a while now, 45mins or so, and GPU-Z...

room temp 21c
gpu clock 2760
mem clock 1312
gpu temp 65c
hot spot 74c
mem temp 68c
fans at 44% (totally inaudible)
board power draw up to 350w but usually hovering around 330w..
gpu load upper 80s and low 90s
mem load 8G

Disabled Afterburner completely.. Disbabled the windows screensaver.. (which was ironically matrix32 lol)

So far no glitches.. happy 4/20 all.. time to get loose and play some games!

Last edited:
Could be.. it's a brand new LG C2.. HDMI cable is brand new 8k rated etc.. I didn't see any of this with the 4080 with all the same hardware from the GPU on. I noticed it first while test playing STALKER for coil whine.. Saw a weird flash in game so I dropped out of the game and even saw my windows desktop glitch for like a split second, like the bottom half screen corrupted for just a flash.. thought I was seeing stuff, Ive had a cold or something and feeling like crap, head not in the best space so just rebooted.

Played Halo Inf for like an hour... didn't see a thing... man that game is so polished. I put everything to max/ultra/ray tracing at 4k.. smooth as butter.. no glitches
Played Cyberpunk, put everything to max / pyscho (no path tracing tho).. I saw some weird artifacts on the textures of the environment when I received calls.. But apparently this is a known DLSS bug. Honestly CP is a terrible game to test this with..damn screen goes haywire on purpose in this game lol!

Yesterday:
I had the Matrix City Supes demo on just in the background while I was working, I noticed the screen flash a couple times while I was turned to my workstation.. "I was like WTF is that?" I suspect this might have been windows trying to put my the screen saver on - going to disable that and test again today -- but this was what got me really going WTF? I was messing around with Afterburner too with power limits and stuff.. I saw some screen glitches while moving around the city when altering the power/temp limits.. Card was drawing 360w max but as low as 330w and staying at or below 67c... I saw spikes up to 98% gpu activity... mostly hovered around 90%... at bone stock the glitches seemed almost 100% gone.. but that is some shit I downloaded off the internet and stuff. Should not be a benchmark of stability at all. The dev even said it might be glitchy.. Gonna play around with it some more today though.. it's pretty cool. Reminds me of flying in my dreams almost exactly.. when I lucid dream.

Played Sons of the Forest for the first time really, for like an hour.. wow gorgeous game, but saw a full screen orange glitch for just a flash.. might have been a health alert. Checking with reddit on that.

I think I am seeing normal stuff, just being paranoid now.. I think I might do a fresh full clean driver re-install of the latest Nvidia drivers and do a scan rebuild of the files for these games.. just to be sure.

btw happy 4/20 all
use afterburner to bump the voltages a bit

use afterburner to bump the voltages a bit
Yeah I did that yesterday and that's when I started seeing those glitches. I experimented with max power limit 106 and adding to the core voltage .25 at a time.. It didn't seem to like that.

The gaming x trio only has an 18+4 vrm config ... vs like the suprim x has a 26x4 vrm setup.. idk..

Today I disabled Afterburner completely and ran that Matrix City demo with GPU-Z sensors tab in the foreground for over an hour and pushed the card pretty hard - saw no issues at all.. I think my card is fine I think windows was trying to go into ss mode yesterday and I saw other known issues or designed in game "stuff" which tripped me out a bit..

Gonna play more games after work here in a couple hours.. but I am cautiously optimistic all is well. If I had a bad memory chip or something I imagine I would be experiencing stability issues too and that is for sure not happening.

Yesterday:

btw happy 4/20 all
I had some weird software nonsense glitches here and there so my solution (always is) to do a fresh wipe reformat and install of Windows 11 64bit. It's so clean and fast now. If you are so inclined go for it.

I've noticed some with my MSI Suprim X Liquid. Currently it's a bit annoying because I have the rear of the case facing forward for easy access to I/O, given what I am doing with the computer, so the sound is somewhat noticeable. When I position the PC with the rear facing backwards (as is normal) I can barely pick it up and can live with it.

I've logged this issue in the "it's kind of annoying but for this level of performance, I can live with it" category.

I had some weird software nonsense glitches here and there so my solution (always is) to do a fresh wipe reformat and install of Windows 11 64bit. It's so clean and fast now. If you are so inclined go for it.
Yeah I am seriously thinking about that... my W11 install was upgraded from W10 and I had that install for the life of my Z270 (since 2018)... that said I gamed on the system hard last night and saw nothing weird.. rock solid beautiful performance. Oohhh it's gonna be a warm summer of gaming! This 4090 heats up the office a lot more than the 4080 and 2080ti did LOL. I have central AC so not too worried but last night was the first warm night of the season and I hot boxed the office pretty good. I have a couple good fans moving air in and out of the room too. I'm thinking I may need to close all of the registers in the house to redirect all the AC to my office at some point lol.

Yeah I am seriously thinking about that... my W11 install was upgraded from W10 and I had that install for the life of my Z270 (since 2018)... that said I gamed on the system hard last night and saw nothing weird.. rock solid beautiful performance. Oohhh it's gonna be a warm summer of gaming! This 4090 heats up the office a lot more than the 4080 and 2080ti did LOL. I have central AC so not too worried but last night was the first warm night of the season and I hot boxed the office pretty good. I have a couple good fans moving air in and out of the room too. I'm thinking I may need to close all of the registers in the house to redirect all the AC to my office at some point lol.
Yea in my opinion you are waaaaaaaaaay overdue for a fresh clean install. I do it once a year. Clean slate. Feels good lol.

Yeah I did that yesterday and that's when I started seeing those glitches. I experimented with max power limit 106 and adding to the core voltage .25 at a time.. It didn't seem to like that.

The gaming x trio only has an 18+4 vrm config ... vs like the suprim x has a 26x4 vrm setup.. idk..

Today I disabled Afterburner completely and ran that Matrix City demo with GPU-Z sensors tab in the foreground for over an hour and pushed the card pretty hard - saw no issues at all.. I think my card is fine I think windows was trying to go into ss mode yesterday and I saw other known issues or designed in game "stuff" which tripped me out a bit..

Gonna play more games after work here in a couple hours.. but I am cautiously optimistic all is well. If I had a bad memory chip or something I imagine I would be experiencing stability issues too and that is for sure not happening.
Was that with the newest version of Afterburner, or an older one? Lovelace wasn't officially supported until 4.6.5, which was released this week, so the weirdness with voltage may have been related to that.

Was that with the newest version of Afterburner, or an older one? Lovelace wasn't officially supported until 4.6.5, which was released this week, so the weirdness with voltage may have been related to that.
yeah I DL'd the new one just out and installed it. idk.. my card didn't seem to like voltage adjustments. Since that time I have experienced zero issues. I played Halo and Apex last night for probably 10 hours and zero glitches.. I also messed around with the Matrix City UR5 demo for an hour.. no issues. idk.. maybe it was in my head lol!

and holy fuck.. Apex on this 42" OLED with the 4090 at 120hz locked - even in the most intense firefights.. so so so good. Won three trio matches last night once I got warmed up. I haven't played Apex much this year at all.. one of those wins was epic.. we were down to one player many times and kept pepping ourselves up on mic "WE GOT THIS" and stuff.. lol. Just random people but pulled the w. Love that game for that kind of experience exactly.

Back