Buying a 3rd HD for linux.

AMDXP

2[H]4U
Yeah, I'm getting a 3rd HD for Suse Linux maybe mandrake but I liked the Suse better on its live disc....

I have a few question dont I need a splitter or something for the 3rd HD second how do I parttion 20 gb off for linux and 3rd how do I dual boot?

Thank you!

Edit* the 3rd HD is a 80GB Western Digital for 39.99 freeshipping w00t!

What's a splitter? Are you talking about connecting the hard drive? If you're out of IDE ports, get an ATA controller card.

You can partition the new hard drive with fdisk. You can probably boot off the SuSE live CD and partition then write the file system to the partitions.

You can dual boot by setting up your bootloader and including a new entry for the new install and point it towards the root partition of the install.

Which bootloader are you using?

You can partition it from the disk handler in windows. I'd suggest making the windows partition and leaving a suitable amount of space unpartitioned, then booting the linux install CD. It should be able to install a bootloader for you and set it up.

For the windows partition tool:
Computer Managment -> storage -> disk managment
(The fastest way to Computer Managment is right-click My Computer -> manage, btw.)

You will need to make sure your live cd has the right filesystem tools for whatever you want to use. Any newer one should have them all (kernel support and mk<whatever>fs)

btw disk managment is run--> diskmgmt.msc

Oh, I would be doing a full install, and i believe suses partition prog is yeast.

I would like to run mandrake since it mostly has everything already loaded.

Back