Buying 3 GPUs, which gtx 980 ti to get?

EzeroMobile50K

Limp Gawd
I'm about to purchase 3 video cards. 2 to be used in SLI, and 1 as a single card. Pretty sure going with gtx 980 Ti. Would anyone recommend a specific GTX 980 Ti? I was looking at EVGA and they all appear to be about the same price $659, so why not go with the Classified at the same price?

Yeah with the classified being on sale right now, I'm thinking that's the route to take. I wanted to buy the hybrid, but with the classy being 70 bucks cheaper rather than just 30, I think I'll grab the classy.

Classified is a good choice. Make sure you have adequate cooling and air flow for 2 980 ti in SLI. I would even recommend getting ones with an AIO cooler on them like the EVGA hybrid if you have the mounting slots in your case.

Classified is a good choice. Make sure you have adequate cooling and air flow for 2 980 ti in SLI. I would even recommend getting ones with an AIO cooler on them like the EVGA hybrid if you have the mounting slots in your case.

Agreed. That's a lot of heat that needs to get out of the case.

I have run two classifieds in SLI. Temps were around 80/75 with custom curve. Since then I have put a G10 on one card and ordered an EK block for a second classified that I have sitting around.

Cop do you think the classy can handle keeping itself cool as a single card in a matx enclosure?

Otherwise I might just bite the bullet and buy a hybrid instead

Single card should not have any issues. Though if you have space for a rad then hybrid is better choice.

[L]imey;1042050740 said:
Cop do you think the classy can handle keeping itself cool as a single card in a matx enclosure?

The problem isn't the card keeping itself cool. It's getting the heat out of the case. You need good airflow.

question...why would you get 3? You do realize they will be trash in 6 months. Your going to drop 1500-2000 for max 6 months of use? Is that really worth it?

I get if this was May but its practically 2016...

Yeah Classy for sure if you're wanting to mess around with overclocking them. If not, a reference design would fair a lot better in a triple situation.

I got two weeks ago a MSI Seahawk. 980Ti with AIO cooler. Man, I'm glad I got that one. Using it 24/7 for computing. Nice and cool. If you want multiple make sure your chassis has enough fan exists in rather short distance for the radiators.

[L]imey;1042050740 said:

I've got a Classy in a uATX chassis (Corsair 350D), and with a custom fan curve via MSI Afterburner, my load temps never see above 65-71C...and that's with all chassis fans on a med-low speed (they are all 120/140 mm PWM).

question...why would you get 3? You do realize they will be trash in 6 months. Your going to drop 1500-2000 for max 6 months of use? Is that really worth it?

I get if this was May but its practically 2016...

The 980s won't suddenly stop working when Pascal comes out.

Back