buyers remorse: PhenomII 1055 to i5 4690k or????

SupaDupaNerd

Limp Gawd
Well I got bit by the black friday/cyber monday bug and bought a gigabyte z97 board and an i5 4690k processor setting me back about 300 bucks.

If i decide to keep it it will be upgrading an amd PhenomII x6 (never been OC) and biostar TA890FXE

My question is, will i see an appreciable performance gain with gaming (assuming my r9-270 isn't the bottleneck) or should i sell/return this and wait out for broadwell or skylake?

Yes you should receive a boost in at least minimum fps during gaming and a few more in avg fps...although a 270 isn't exactly pushing it in the video card dept. If your 1055 was OC'd to the hilt maybe not so much.

I upgraded from a Phenom II 1055T to a 4670k ITX setup. I honestly didn't see any difference in day-to-day use concerning speed. The AMD CPU I had seemed to freeze and stutter while I have never had a problem with my new 4670k. I was able to get around $200 selling my old Phenom II + mobo + RAM combination which was enough to pay for my processor. I'd recommend sticking with what you have and try selling your old stuff.

I had a Phenom II X4 B93 CPU earlier this year before I upgraded to the 4770K. In games, I saw a definite increase in gaming performance.

from a AMD1090T -> 3930k here

if you do a lot of cpu intensive stuff it maybe worth it and probably semi-noticeable on your electric bill

if you don't and just some general gaming browsing and stuff. I would probably return it and hold out for next gen but that may also prompt a memory upgrade as well so more cost involved.

that's just my opinion.

Back