Buyer's remorse... GTX 1080

I can fully understand having buyers remorse because that is a LOT of money you just spent. However, if you plan on keeping the computer at least as long as the last one and game a lot, I think you will get your monies worth. Therefore, unless you can return the items and go back to what you had, enjoy them. (I did go from an FX 8350 to 6700k and back to an FX 8300 because I prefer AMD, game at 4k and barely game at all anymore.) Try doing a DSR resolution to 4k and see what that looks like as well.

Yes, I intend to keep this PC for at least 3 years or more. My sandybridge lasted me more than 5 years, with only a GPU upgrade.

Ah, screw it, if you do not like what I own and the choices I made, that is on you. (Directed at the post above mine.) OP, are you gaming pretty heavily? Have you tried DSR yet?

I used to be very gaming heavy, played a mix of FPS and MMOs and RPGs, but lately I've only been playing some RPGs and MMOs. I have toyed with DSR but on the games I play, I can't tell the difference between high level AA and DSR.

Wow, did you come out of an anus to bitch at us all? You have spent thousands of dollars and still not happy? I would like your wallet!

No I did not come to bitch at you. The money I spent on this build was simply saved over a period of 4 years in my PC financial bucket in which year after year, I could not justify buying anything new or upgrading anything in my existing build, so the bucket grew to well over 3k.

Like I said, I notice how smooth games are with my G-sync monitor. It's like watching a CGI cutscene during gameplay.

Yes, I intend to keep this PC for at least 3 years or more. My sandybridge lasted me more than 5 years, with only a GPU upgrade.

I used to be very gaming heavy, played a mix of FPS and MMOs and RPGs, but lately I've only been playing some RPGs and MMOs. I have toyed with DSR but on the games I play, I can't tell the difference between high level AA and DSR.

No I did not come to bitch at you. The money I spent on this build was simply saved over a period of 4 years in my PC financial bucket in which year after year, I could not justify buying anything new or upgrading anything in my existing build, so the bucket grew to well over 3k.

Like I said, I notice how smooth games are with my G-sync monitor. It's like watching a CGI cutscene during gameplay.

I applaud you for fiscal restraint. Most of us would just charge it off on CC. I suspect you are slighly disappointed in terms of thinking that you have spent thousands. Your thousands is not meeting your expecations of what you perceived in your mind prior to purchase? Be thanful you were able to spend thousands on silicon chips outdated last week.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.forb...ut-together/?client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us

Something to think about.

I applaud you for fiscal restraint. Most of us would just charge it off on CC. I suspect you are slighly disappointed in terms of thinking that you have spent thousands. Your thousands is not meeting your expecations of what you perceived in your mind prior to purchase? Be thanful you were able to spend thousands on silicon chips outdated last week.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.forb...ut-together/?client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us

Something to think about.

Well.. I still have a mortgage, so that's a pretty considerable debt LOL.

You can certainly take steps to being more "future proof" if I had a pair of 4GB 680's instead of the 2GB ones I had, I'd have been able to hold off on my 980Ti and gotten a 1080 instead.

Well.. I still have a mortgage, so that's a pretty considerable debt LOL.
not really unless it is a VA 100% loan....the house has value and as an Asset it has net worth.

A 300K house with 150K mortgagee is still worth 150K, which is more money than most american have! Mortgage and car loan are not Debt like a student loan, CC, personal loan.

You can certainly take steps to being more "future proof" if I had a pair of 4GB 680's instead of the 2GB ones I had, I'd have been able to hold off on my 980Ti and gotten a 1080 instead.

thats an unneeded wait period. I am glad i bought my 980TI...it isn;t much slower than a 1080 and the damn 1080TI is taking forever.

Again OP get a ULMB monitor like the Asus P279Q or whatever. The IPS 120hz ULMB. ULMB is night and day difference.

You just might have to buy several playing panel lottery.

I'm not sure what you mean by "unneeded wait period" there's little in this topic that qualifies as a "need"

Again OP get a ULMB monitor like the Asus P279Q or whatever. The IPS 120hz ULMB. ULMB is night and day difference.

You just might have to buy several playing panel lottery.

I found out my dell has ULMB also but to turn it on, I have to turn off g-sync. Interesting, I'll play with this mode.

I'm not sure what you mean by "unneeded wait period" there's little in this topic that qualifies as a "need"
ummm if you are going to buy it thing of an investment over time. If i wait 6 months to save 30 dollars. I spent 300 instead of 330 but now I will only use this for 18 months vs 24 months. The true cost to own is higher in terms of your usage. Also waiting for 680-1080 is crazy long. If you dont got the money thats one things but waiting to be cheap is different.....

I found out my dell has ULMB also but to turn it on, I have to turn off g-sync. Interesting, I'll play with this mode.
yea you can get tearing but the clearness is so much better but ghosting can be more noticable. You will see 3 clear images vs a big long blurr

you get image....image....image vs IMMMAAAAAGGGGGGEEEEE. You'll understand when you switch back and forth.

Play an over head game with words on the ground or a FPS with a sign and strafe back and forth. With no ULMB you wont be able to read it but with ULMB you can read it....It is a massive difference. CRT is still kind but fast movement is tolerable now. My aim in natural selection 2 went from 8-15% to 18-28% because i could actually see what was happening lol. I still suck but not horrible.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. If you wait longer, you don't own the next product for a shorter period of time because that other product is more powerful than what you were going to buy previously. If what you're saying is true, that would mean at a certain point you would need to upgrade your brand new card the moment you got it.

Not to mention, buying a video card can hardly be considered an "investment"

Just think of it as future proofing. I had 680s that lasted me until recently. 3+ years is a good run

Though with VR and 4k TVs pushing for more horsepower, my 1070 is likely to be short-lived as a primary card.

You may yet get a VR boost.
NVidia still havent released the software that reduces the overhead producing a similar image for 2 eyes.
It is supposed to render both eyes images at the same time as 2 ports, instead of drawing one then doing the same for the other which duplicates some of the work.
I havent seen mention of a release date yet but it was part of the 10xx series advertising.

I game at 2560x1440 so I went from my old GTX 980 to GTX 1080 and a completely new PC build (sandybridge to skylake).

I've done a ton of benchmarks and synthetics and the 1080 is clearly superior by over 100% margins in some tests.

The FPS overlay clearly show that the games I play (FO4 for example) has gone up from 50 max settings up to 100+ max settings.

BUT... visually, if I didn't have that FPS counter, I don't see a lot of difference in the games I play. The old 980 in the old sandybridge was visually (this is totally subjective opinion) the same. Most games ran high FPS already that getting a 2 fold increase didn't seem to add much value.

My monitor is 96hz so maybe I need a Gsync capable 120hz+ monitor to see but at this point, I have slight buyers remose.

Anybody else chime in?

Thats where we are today with video cards. Its not like back when you went from a DX7 video card to a DX9 one. The changes used to be night and day. Now all you get is a boost in perf and for the most part it wont change your gaming exp if your prior card was all rdy giving you playable frame rates.

If your looking for the best bang for your buck in the PC area, a better bigger monitor is the way to go.

Until M.2 shows a real difference I'm sticking with SATA Samsung Evo drives.
If the 960 doesnt come in anything but M.2, I will probably get a 950.

The difference in M.2 and Sata based SSDs is night and day. At least when it comes to the 950 Pro, vs Evo Sata.

Thats where we are today with video cards. Its not like back when you went from a DX7 video card to a DX9 one. The changes used to be night and day. Now all you get is a boost in perf and for the most part it wont change your gaming exp if your prior card was all rdy giving you playable frame rates.

If your looking for the best bang for your buck in the PC area, a better bigger monitor is the way to go.
Sorry but that is nonsense as at 1440p the difference is night and freaking day between a 980 and a 1080. If someone can't see the difference between those two cards then they should have their eyes checked.

Sorry but that is nonsense as at 1440p the difference is night and freaking day between a 980 and a 1080. If someone can't see the difference between those two cards then they should have their eyes checked.

Going to the eye doctor. Being serious, the primary reasons I couldn't tell the difference were the games I played and the monitor I had. Although I don't have my 980 anymore to compare, I've been playing Witcher 3 on a Dell Gsync monitor and it's just amazing.

The difference in M.2 and Sata based SSDs is night and day. At least when it comes to the 950 Pro, vs Evo Sata.
Game load times are the only thing I want speeded up.
They are hardly able to influence that.

I game at 2560x1440 so I went from my old GTX 980 to GTX 1080 and a completely new PC build (sandybridge to skylake).

I've done a ton of benchmarks and synthetics and the 1080 is clearly superior by over 100% margins in some tests.

The FPS overlay clearly show that the games I play (FO4 for example) has gone up from 50 max settings up to 100+ max settings.

BUT... visually, if I didn't have that FPS counter, I don't see a lot of difference in the games I play. The old 980 in the old sandybridge was visually (this is totally subjective opinion) the same. Most games ran high FPS already that getting a 2 fold increase didn't seem to add much value.

My monitor is 96hz so maybe I need a Gsync capable 120hz+ monitor to see but at this point, I have slight buyers remose.

Anybody else chime in?

Gsync is a god damn nightmare I hate it, you can't play full window with it if you want to alt+tab and check say a RDP session etc, your FPS will massively suffer, eg. MWO for me would run at 8FPS in any form of windowed mode

Then it won't activate half the time, it took about 30 mins for me to find all the stupid settings when trying it play Dark Souls 3 that gets really really bad tearing on a 1070

Game load times are the only thing I want speeded up.
They are hardly able to influence that.

Having owned a 950 Pro M.2 AND an Evo series SSD, I can tell you, there is a difference.

That's nice. Let me know when you've used it yourself, and can confirm it doesn't make a difference.
You've done nothing to persuade me otherwise.
Would you care to counter the results with evidence of your claim?
I dont believe you.

That's nice. Let me know when you've used it yourself, and can confirm it doesn't make a difference.
There is not a single review that shows any meaningful difference between an M.2 SSD or regular SATA SSD when it comes to game loading times. In fact the M.2 can actually be a second or two slower depending on the exact models being compared.

Just sold both my GTX 1080's in SLI, as it was not worth it. SLI support is pretty much horrible these days, most games don't even support it properly, even it did there would be issues. Fed up of the poor scaling, or either that the second card would not utilize because the devs were to lazy to implement multi GPU support or whatever. Single performance was ok but I was hoping for more since I'm on 4K. Hopefully AMD's Vega won't disappoint, but I refuse to go down the SLI route again.

Just sold both my GTX 1080's in SLI, as it was not worth it. SLI support is pretty much horrible these days, most games don't even support it properly, even it did there would be issues. Fed up of the poor scaling, or either that the second card would not utilize because the devs were to lazy to implement multi GPU support or whatever. Single performance was ok but I was hoping for more since I'm on 4K. Hopefully AMD's Vega won't disappoint, but I refuse to go down the SLI route again.
Crossfire is not really going to be any better if that is what you are hoping for.

Back