Buy two more RT-AC66U or replace with RT-AC68U

clayton006

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm moving into a house (first time home buyer) and I want to setup multiple Asus routers for AP mode only on the main floor and upstairs (all major gear will be in the basement.)

I'm contemplating getting two more RT-AC66U routers to work as access points. I also saw that the RT-AC68U is out and seems to have more processing power. Should I just buy two more 66U's or sell my current 66U and get all 68's?

Or is there a better combination? Maybe I would purchase one 68U as my main router and buy one 66U and use two of those as access points?

Wait... do you have steel floors or something that makes them more impenetrable than the walls ? It's likely that your signal will be fine with one or possibly two routers. When operating the router in dumb AP mode, the extra processing power is probably useless.

Yeah, in AP mode the processing power won't do anything for you.

Yeah steel floors. Fair enough. I'll do maybe one 68 and get another 66 or just get two more 66's.

Try with just a 68 as your main and turn the 66 you have into an AP. That may be more than enough. Easier to add more than return what you don't need.

Back