Buy Synology or Build My Own? (ESXi and Media Storage)

tbooth

Weaksauce
I am looking to replace my HP MediaSmart ex490 with something new. Currently the HP serves Blu-Ray rips to my Boxee Box. I was looking at getting a Synology DS1511+, but then I started thinking that I could put together something a little more powerful for less money. Here is what I'd like to be able to do with the storage:

• Stream Blu-Ray rips to (up to) two TVs at the same time.
  • Host virtual hard disks for 6-8 VMs for a future ESXi home lab

I would ideally like to use no more than 6 HDs so that I can keep the box on the smallish size. Minimizing space and noise is a requirement.

I see my options as:

1. Buy the Synology DS1511+
  2. Build a dedicated box for storage
  3. Virtualize the storage and combine one of my 2 future ESXi servers into a NAS so that I only have 2 physical boxes instead of 3 (I'd like to experiment with VMotion)

I started looking into what software to use for the storage and I kinda became overwhelmed with the different options available. (FreeNAS, unRAID, any of the OpenSolaris forks). I am looking for advice on what will give the best performance for the money for my needs.

If you haven't already, read gea's thread here about opensolaris-based all-in-one. I went that route and have not looked back.

I'll second that suggestion, I don't think you'd regret it for a second.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at the thread. I had heard that 4k disks weren't playing nice with OpenSolaris. Is this still the case? Can i use 3TB drives?

I've been using 4k disks without any issues. You can simply change the alignment to improve performance as well IIRC.

A side-benefit: if you use an OI VM to provide a datastore via NFS to other VMs on the same all in one, you will get speed quite a bit better than gigabit, since it's all internal :) With any opensolaris, I wouldn't recommend using the vmxnet3 driver - it caused me no end of grief (bursty I/O and other problems...) The intel e1000 driver works just fine.

Yes you can use 3TB drives without a problem as long as your board you buy supports it.

A few quick questions for the guys who went with Gea's All-In-One and since I am looking to do the same thing:

1) Did you guys use the server or desktop install of OpenIndiana? (assuming server b/c napp-it but can't hurt to ask)

2) I was planning on using a 120GB 2.5 drive for the local datastore. Do you need ESXi on a another drive or can you use the same drive for local datastore and ESXi?

3) Since I have 5 Samsung F4's that I was planning on putting in RAID-Z should I use the 4k alignment or not?

(Sorry if I am thread capping but I think they are relevant questions)

Yes you can use 3TB drives without a problem as long as your board you buy supports it.

A few quick questions for the guys who went with Gea's All-In-One and since I am looking to do the same thing:

1) Did you guys use the server or desktop install of OpenIndiana? (assuming server b/c napp-it but can't hurt to ask)

2) I was planning on using a 120GB 2.5 drive for the local datastore. Do you need ESXi on a another drive or can you use the same drive for local datastore and ESXi?

3) Since I have 5 Samsung F4's that I was planning on putting in RAID-Z should I use the 4k alignment or not?

(Sorry if I am thread capping but I think they are relevant questions)

1) server install.

2) I put ESXi on an 8GB flash drive, and used a laptop HD for the local datastore.

3) Can't comment on this one.

Will there be a huge difference between 5400/5900 RPM drives and 7200 in raidz?

I've been using 4k disks without any issues. You can simply change the alignment to improve performance as well IIRC.

What do you mean by changing the alignment?

I was planning on using 5-8 2TB F4 Samsung HDD in a RAIDZ or Z2 pool in OI.
I have also heard that there were issues as well as the number of drives that are in the pool. Is this true?

Back