Buy Sony 49" X800D or not?

StormClaw

Gawd
Ok, so i want a big 4K monitor (the 24"-34" are too small for me in 4k resolution, can't see shit)

Questions:

1. is X800D the best one right now since it doesn't have PWM flickering (like samsungs have)
2. how likely that we will see some better TVs for monitor use in 2017? (i checked the ces2017 highlights and every makers is dead set on Q/OLEDs)

Any opinions/discussion/thoughts are highly welcome.

I've had the 43 x800d for about 10 days now, I'm not sure what it is but the screen is just hard to look at for long periods. If I bring the brightness down so the whites don't kill my eyes everything else looks dull and washed out.

I've had the 43 x800d for about 10 days now, I'm not sure what it is but the screen is just hard to look at for long periods. If I bring the brightness down so the whites don't kill my eyes everything else looks dull and washed out.

You are probably not yet used to the bigger screen.

When i went from 30" Dell to 38" widescreen LG i used to get terrible sea-sickness, vertigo and headaches.
It passed with time. Internet says it's a "field of view" issue. I think i got used to it, i gamed for like 12 hrs straight yesterday in SW Battlefront.

Try placing it further away from yourself, this should also help. And check if you are running it at 60hz refresh rate and not 30hz.

I'll let you know how I feel about mine when it arrives Friday, I have been paranoid about using a TV as a monitor and have put off the purchase for over 6 months now but finally pulled the trigger, I don't really game much I am more using it for general usage, art/design/editing type work so who knows if the color accuracy will be good for that but I didn't want another 30" screen when I can have so much more for the same price. I would have rather had a 43" screen but I wanted an IPS panel so I had to go with the bigger.

Happy with my Samsung KU6290 40" so far, only had it a few days though.

I leave the backlight at around 1/2 but have not been bothered by the flicker (don't notice it), which surprises me as I've proven sensitive to it in the past.

If you can get one locally to try out it would save a good bit vs. the Sony. Given I got this for $310 as an open box I can't personally justify $650 for the 43" X800 despite being interested in its supposedly better HDR support and preferring its design and Android TV vs. Samsung's smart OS (Tizen?).

Nah, i absolutely won't go below 43" at 4k res. Things are to small and hard to read.

That's why i'm considering a bigger screen size to run 4k resolution.

Someone on this forum told me he got 49KS8500 at 49" and the size doesn't bother him.

Nah, i absolutely won't go below 43" at 4k res. Things are to small and hard to read.

That's why i'm considering a bigger screen size to run 4k resolution.

Someone on this forum told me he got 49KS8500 at 49" and the size doesn't bother him.

"Too small"? Windows 10's resolution scaling is actually pretty good. I personally don't find text on the 40" too small at 100%, but at 125% it's zero strain at all.

"Too small"? Windows 10's resolution scaling is actually pretty good. I personally don't find text on the 40" too small at 100%, but at 125% it's zero strain at all.
I don't want to use scaling. It screws things up a lot of times.

Back