Buy Q6600 now or wait for prices to fall?

BassKozz

Limp Gawd
I am looking to build a new system with the Q6600.
Should I buy it now (currently going for $275 at the egg), or wait for the Penryns to start rolling out and hope that they cause a price reduction to older chips?
and if the answer is "yes, wait" then how long?

I am not in a rush (per say) to build this rig, but if the price drop is small and/or isn't going to be for a while (more then 4 months), then I'd rather buy now.
Your comments/suggestions are much appreciated.
Thanks,
-BassKozz

Penryn quads won't be out until Feb/Mar, so how long are you willing to wait?

It's just always going to be that way with anything related to technology. Even if you wait four months, you could just ask the exact same question.

If you looks at Intel's history, prices on "last gen" chips don't usually drop when the new ones roll out. Only price drops I ever remember seeing is when an Intel CPU goes eol = End of Life. If I am correct Intel's prices usually drop when they are doing cuts across the board. As AMD does not really have anything to compete seriously atm why would chipzilla lower prices ? I almost always buy what I want when I want it, unless I know a big price cut is coming down the pipe. :D

The real advantage to waiting is not lower prices on the Q6600, it's getting the 45nm quads for basically the same price, with all the benefits that implies (higher OC, lower power consumption, less heat, more performance).

Well back in April 2007 Q6600 used to be around $800 and now theyre selling like hotcakes at around $260ish. This seems to be the price floor and I think if you need it just get it now rather than wait 2-3 months for a small drop in price. Unless the new Phenoms really push em but doubt it.

Thanks for all the input,
I think I'll buy now, and upgrade to 45nm Penryn later (once they drop in price)...
Now to find a good P35 board that will support future 45nm Procs?
Seems alot of people like the Abit IP35 Pro board. Is the consensus that this is the best board for OC'ing the Q6600, and will it support future 45nm chips?

why not get a x38 board.
they should be ready for the 45nm for sure.

If I were you. I would wait till the new 45nm cpus come out. The new Quad core with more cache, etc.
Thanks

according to the box my new systemboard came in, the Asus P5K-e/WAP supports the 45nm intel chips. You can find some good deals in the FS forum every now and then. I just put together a new system Q6600 4gb ram new systemboard for a little over 400$. :D

why not get a x38 board.
they should be ready for the 45nm for sure.
More $$$, and I've read that they don't provide that much of a performance boost over P35 boards... I could be wrong?
If I were you. I would wait till the new 45nm cpus come out. The new Quad core with more cache, etc.
Thanks
Also more $$$ thou... I'll wait for them to drop in price, maybe once Nehelm chips come out.
according to the box my new systemboard came in, the Asus P5K-e/WAP supports the 45nm intel chips. You can find some good deals in the FS forum every now and then. I just put together a new system Q6600 4gb ram new systemboard for a little over 400$. :D
I Like my GA-P35 DS3R .
How to decide???
Are both of you (shyboi and Kangg) overclocking at all? and If so how easy is it to get it working on your boards ?

Back