Buy Office 2007, upgrade to 2010 free

Azhar

Fixing stupid since 1972
http://www.office.com/techg

Found this link in NewEgg's ad and thought to share it with those of you who missed it.

The conditions are that you must buy Office 2007 and/or qualifying Office 2007 products between March 5 and September 30, 2010 and it must be activated before September 30, 2010. Once Office 2010 is available, you have until October 31, 2010 to claim your free copy of 2010 via Microsoft's digital download or you can order a DVD for a small fee.

Here is the NewEgg ad I'm referring to.

So does this mean they messed up 2010 worse than they messed up 2007?

Nah, this is really just a typical MS promotion. Near the start of a new Windows or Office release, they always have a buy old, get new free program. It helps curb the sales drop before a new product is released.

Thanks for that.

Our company finally upgraded to Office 2007 from Office 2003 last month, and it's been a nightmare of complaints, "that button isn't there anymore!", "I could do this-or-that on the OLD system!"

Our Office 2007 came with the free upgrade to 2010, but man, I don't even want to THINK about doing it if it's any more significant a change than 2003 to 2007 was.

2007 isn't bad, if you never used an old version of Office before. I've been contemplating on just dropping the $80 to buy Office 2007. I can't find the info for our "Home Use Program", where we can get Office for $20.

2007 isn't bad, if you never used an old version of Office before. I've been contemplating on just dropping the $80 to buy Office 2007. I can't find the info for our "Home Use Program", where we can get Office for $20.

Yeah, it's $9.95 for the HUP at my work. I was hoping to benefit from this as well but unfortunately, I found this on the FAQ:

Microsoft said:
I purchased Office 2007 product through the Home Use program, am I eligible for the Tech Guarantee?

No - Office 2007 product that is purchased through the Home Use program is not eligible for the Office 2010 Tech Guarantee.

Well, guess I can give up on the HUP and just go for the $80 Military Appreciation version. I'm still using Office XP.

some simple math

Office 2003 < Office 2007 < Office 2010

different /= messed up
Spinal Tap said:
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you make ten a little louder, make that the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [pauses] These go to eleven.

For what I do, nothing has been added to Excel since 95. Not one features that isn't really a pass through to Windows.

So what do I get now is a changed interface.

Except it isn't changed. All they did was take toolbars and make them non-customizable, delete the menu system, and scatter an assortment of features in non-intuitive locations.

It wouldn't have been bad if they offered a built in classic mode, since my IT won't do anything more.

I use to have with some customization just about everything I wanted in the top toolbars or available in a right click context menu. I didn't have jump around 8-9 different tabs to pull up the right bar to do the next thing. And if there was something I rarely used or needed for the first time, I used the menu system which in comparison reasonably followed a convention that was in use since Windows 3. With the menu system I could skim through just about every task/option available to me in seconds.

Thanks for that.

Our company finally upgraded to Office 2007 from Office 2003 last month, and it's been a nightmare of complaints, "that button isn't there anymore!", "I could do this-or-that on the OLD system!"

Our Office 2007 came with the free upgrade to 2010, but man, I don't even want to THINK about doing it if it's any more significant a change than 2003 to 2007 was.

the biggest change that I've noticed, although I don't use Office a lot at home, is that Outlook 2010 now has the ribbon, whereas they kept the standard menu in Outlook 2007.

office 2007 = no real improvements over 2003 except they
hid all the common functions in ribbons that you now have to search through
lots of conversions to useless docx format (probably for which they got sued)
which can only be read on older systems by loading a conversion library. of
course they are very slow to open for some reason, maybe you should upgrade?
and now you get to repeat the process with 2010.

^ LOL

nothing is "hidden" in the ribbons. As a matter fact its right in front of your face in the ribbon.

someone told me M$ got sued and could not sell office anymore, i guess its false, or maybe they can not sell new versions of office so they are selling old and giving new for freezie?

They got sued over some XML junk. I dont remember the specifics. The feature has been removed from Office. If this is what you're talking about...

^ LOL

nothing is "hidden" in the ribbons. As a matter fact its right in front of your face in the ribbon.
Really?

Right now I'm on the Home Tab looking at text alignment. I now need to trace dependants on a piece of data.

Oh wait. Its not on the Home Tab. I'm not looking at it right now. How could that be?

Now let's see. Its data, is it on the Data Tab? No.

Well tracing dependants on a spreadsheet is like reviewing. Is it on the Review Tab? No.

Well I'm turning on a bunch of graphics to see how things are better connected. Is it on the View Tab? No.

Oh wait, its on the Formula Tab. Eventhough its Data and not a formula, and I want to View where it is later use in order to better Review the spreadsheet better. Makes perfect sense that I should be able to find it right off...

... despite not being right in front of me

... and despite being in a half dozen possible Tabs.

:(

I'll get 2010 when my college sells it. But until then, I'm fine with 07.

In any case, does 2010 do anything really different from 2007?

For what I do, nothing has been added to Excel since 95. Not one features that isn't really a pass through to Windows.

Except it isn't changed. All they did was take toolbars and make them non-customizable, delete the menu system, and scatter an assortment of features in non-intuitive locations.

It wouldn't have been bad if they offered a built in classic mode, since my IT won't do anything more.

I use to have with some customization just about everything I wanted in the top toolbars or available in a right click context menu. I didn't have jump around 8-9 different tabs to pull up the right bar to do the next thing. And if there was something I rarely used or needed for the first time, I used the menu system which in comparison reasonably followed a convention that was in use since Windows 3. With the menu system I could skim through just about every task/option available to me in seconds.

In Office 2010 you can completely customize the Ribbons. Delete anything you don't want, add things you want, and even create your own Ribbon tabs

Not to mention even in 2007 you can customize the quick access toolbar with a ton of your most recently used items.

This is completely ignoring the fact that true Excel pros should know the keyboard shortcuts

Really?

Right now I'm on the Home Tab looking at text alignment. I now need to trace dependants on a piece of data.

Oh wait. Its not on the Home Tab. I'm not looking at it right now. How could that be?

Well tracing dependants on a spreadsheet is like reviewing. Is it on the Review Tab? No.

Well I'm turning on a bunch of graphics to see how things are better connected. Is it on the View Tab? No.

Oh wait, its on the Formula Tab. Eventhough its Data and not a formula, and I want to View where it is later use in order to better Review the spreadsheet better. Makes perfect sense that I should be able to find it right off...

Took me about 2 seconds to move "Trace Dependents to a different tab in the Ribbon.

Last edited:
Still on Office 2003, I own 2007 but choose not to use it. I like to keep it simple.

In Office 2010 you can completely customize the Ribbons. Delete anything you don't want, add things you want, and even create your own Ribbon tabs

Not to mention even in 2007 you can customize the quick access toolbar with a ton of your most recently used items.

This is completely ignoring the fact that true Excel pros should know the keyboard shortcuts

Took me about 2 seconds to move "Trace Dependents to a different tab in the Ribbon.
Yay, the toolbars are back to being customizable.

And good for you. Doesn't undo the pain in the ass 2007 was and will be since our IT usually stays 1 generation behind in software (why did 2007 have to be the exception?!?) and doesn't allow 3rd party add-ins. I'll be living the 2007 dream for a couple of years at least.

Do I seem bitter?

I hate using 2003. Everything makes more sense to me in 2007 in terms of placement. I think its fair to say people mind's organize things differently (not necessarily better) and for me 2007 is perfect. Just looking at the right click menu though 2007 is so much better than 2003 and all my basic tasks are taken care of in very short order.

Do I seem bitter?
Frankly yes.

I held off on 2007 for some time just because I was used to 2003, but getting used to 2007 took all of a day or two. It really is much easier to use and far more customizable.

But hey, don't let anyone else stop you from being stubborn :)

In 2003 you selected the tool bars you wanted visible to create a pallet. From there you could remove the buttons you never used while customizing it to add a few buttons that you do regularly use.

In 2007 it seems like you start from scratch, with no pallet. You cant even ctrl + click or shift click an entire section of buttons to add in bulk. You add buttons on by one.

Sure you could customize it up the wazoo. But it just takes longer to create the same effect and it still doesn't solve the issue of no more drop down menus. Ribbons have replaced them.

I downloaded 2010 for free as beta and I still have it. The download is still in my email and still live only its not beta anymore. You can proably still find the free download since my link still works. I just put it on my lap top yesterday.

I've been using the full office 2010 beta suite for a while now. For those that are heavy Microsoft Office users especially in an enterprise context, Outlook, Word and Visio each have really excellent improvements. I don't use PowerPoint much, and Excel's main improvements are for developers IMHO.

Outlook 2010 - conversation view is great, as is the move to a full ribbon. The BCS stuff is great for enterprise users. Feels faster, but that may be my imagination.
Word 2010 - a lot of solid improvements, but I like the new sidebars the most for complex document navigation, and search hit highlighting the most.

But to set expectations right, I'd compare the improvements in Office 2010 to Windows 7 - to me it's a big improvement over Vista, but not so much that you'd wonder if they were even from the same company.

2010 is supposed to be more customizable.

With that said, as someone else said, if you're not a power user of the old system, 2007 was a much better UI. Everyone I see using 2003 or earlier is using the default UI (or it's so similar that I can't see a difference). I'm sure many customize it, but I'm also sure that MS came to the conclusion that the old UI was lacking and the only way to fix it was to start over.

2010 is supposed to be more customizable.

With that said, as someone else said, if you're not a power user of the old system, 2007 was a much better UI. Everyone I see using 2003 or earlier is using the default UI (or it's so similar that I can't see a difference). I'm sure many customize it, but I'm also sure that MS came to the conclusion that the old UI was lacking and the only way to fix it was to start over.
They didn't see anything wrong for over 10 years.

More likely as I mentioned earlier, Office has brought almost nothing new for most users in almost 10 years. In that time free options have approached that level of functionality.

Its more likely they felt the need to recast the interface into something that put some other form of separation between them and their competition especially if they've intellectual property protection with the new interface to entrench it.

More likely as I mentioned earlier, Office has brought almost nothing new for most users in almost 10 years. In that time free options have approached that level of functionality.

Its more likely they felt the need to recast the interface into something that put some other form of separation between them and their competition especially if they've intellectual property protection with the new interface to entrench it.

It's quite a bit more than this. Classic menu systems for complex applications are simply difficult for novice users, the Ribbon is FAR more approachable for new users.

And something that always gets overlooked, the Ribbon is MUCH more touchscreen friendly and if you haven't noticed touchscreen devices are all the rage right now.

It's totally awesome to be able to work on stuff using the SAME applications and interface on my desktop and Tablet PC

Dude, the old interface sucks. It was OK 10 years ago. I've used both, and there's not spectacular about Office 97,XP or 03. Put a new user on it, and they'll struggle things on it far more than they will on 07/10.

This line of argument reminds me of all the bullshit we heard in the 90's about how great Word Perfect was. Word Perfect's interface sucked fucking donkey dick, but the same type of people bitched about changing to Word.

People hate change, but just because you and your users have to learn something new doesn't mean it's worse or that it was some sort of cynical move. At the time, most reviews of 07, were very positive. But fuck, if you and the people you support hate it, stick with 2003.....just be prepared for new employees to hate the fact that you use old unintuitive software.

FYI, although I'm a developer, I often have to support people that use our software and/or new software products that we migrate to....and they bitch about all new products. People don't like change, even if that change will ultimately make their life easier.

maybe because I'm in engineering surrounded by engineering, the old interface was somewhat logical. The new interface, not so much. Its been over a year since switching and you still hear people occasionally cursing the thing out.

If new users have a better time, its because they perhaps feel less intimidated.

maybe because I'm in engineering surrounded by engineering, the old interface was somewhat logical. The new interface, not so much. Its been over a year since switching and you still hear people occasionally cursing the thing out.

If new users have a better time, its because they perhaps feel less intimidated.

Ditto, but it isn't all that logical. It's just a convention we got use to or the only convention we've ever known. IMO, it's like the keyboard I type on. In the modern world, there's absolutely nothing logical about a QWERTY keyboard. It made sense when the goal was to slow the typist down in an effort prevent them from jamming the typewriter.

It makes no sense in the computer world and probably didn't make sense on typewriters with balls.....but we still use them, because that's the convention everyone knows.

I'll give the most glaring example: I want to use a different header on odd pages. Where's that....hmm...seems like a formatting task. i'll look there. so I look for something that deals with formatting. Hmm....there's a menu called Format. It must be there.

Damn, not a thing about headers and footers. WTF?
Well maybe I have to insert it.........after fumbling around I find something about it under Autotext, but that's not it either

ultimately it turns out it's under View Header Footer. Why? Probably because this when you want to see a footer and/or header.

I'm also fond of how the Page layout, including margins are not under Formatting like the rest of the formatting options....it's under File. Another big WTF?

I'm not claiming that 2007 is perfect, but I can't tell you how often I had to search the help or online to figure out how to do something relatively simple in Word, because it's not all that logical unless you already know how that UI works.

Yeah, if you've learned all of that or you figured out the reasoning behind the UI design decisions, it makes sense, but that doesn't make it an intuitive UI.

There are lots of people who love *nix. Hell there are many things I love about it, but the CLI and most of the tools are anything but intuitive. I use vi all the time and I know my way around it better than most, but it's UI (and I'm talking about plain old vi, not gvim) is awful. There's not a thing in it that is easy. Emacs? Emacs is a very powerful tool and lots of developers love it. I still remember trying to use it remotely in college and literally turning off my modem, because I couldn't figure out how to do anything, including quit!
That's OK, I guess, since both tools are mostly for Developers and IT.

In a word processor, spreadsheet or email client, the UI should be designed for the masses. And that is much harder to do, because most software is written and designed by software engineers....though I suspect that GUIs are increasingly designed by people who specialize in User Interfaces and may not do much, if any, programming at all.....and that's probably a good thing.

^^^ Just because something has always been done a certain way doesnt mean its the the right/best way!

Really?

Data is usually called by Formulas, hence to trace dependents it is logical to place it in the Formulas ribbon. I love the 2007 interface over the old system. I guess it is just personal preference. Not everything is perfect, but 2007 is a lot closer than <2003 ever was.

Watch The Story of the Ribbon by Microsoft. It explains the evolution of the UI and is pretty interesting stuff.

I agree that the ribbon is "better" than the old way. The point is however, for those of us that have used office since day 1, but don't use office (2007) often, everytime we do go to use it we get lost. I'm sure if I used word every week I'd get used to it, but as it is I use it rarely and every-time is an exercise in frustration.

I always manage to find what I'm looking for in less than 30 seconds, but I used to be able to find it immediately with toolbars.

I downloaded the beta last night and the only two things I dislike are:

1) They again moved the "File" menu, this time to a color-coded ribbon tab. Not hard for me, but having trained people to "click the orb", I can foresee this being a headache.

2) My favorite theme is "Black", but now it looks too OS X-like!

Full customization of the ribbon will enhance my personal workflow, especially in Excel.

biggest issue is that there is no generic 2003 compatibility mode. Why should I have to spend a few hours over 4 different applications figuring out where everything is and/or rebuilding ribbon menus to what we were used to. If it was that easy, they could have taken the "5 minutes" and done it for everyone out of the box. It still probably supports word perfect, why not 2003?

biggest issue is that there is no generic 2003 compatibility mode. Why should I have to spend a few hours over 4 different applications figuring out where everything is and/or rebuilding ribbon menus to what we were used to. If it was that easy, they could have taken the "5 minutes" and done it for everyone out of the box. It still probably supports word perfect, why not 2003?

There you go - free for non-commercial use:
http://www.ubit.ch/software/ubitmenu-languages/

I recommend using the search commands add-in and learning the new layout - it's more productive in the long run, but you definitely have the option either way.

Back