Buy Oculus Rift VR Headset, Get $100 Amazon Gift Card

HardOCP News

[H] News
I think this definitely qualifies as Deal of the Day if you are in the market for an Oculus Rift. Get the Rift for yourself, use the gift card to pick up something for a friend or family member for Christmas. Or, use the $100 for more stuff for yourself. :D

I told myself I wouldn't look at VR helmets until the next generation, and here I am looking at VR helmets.

This deal appears to be more legitimate than the one I'm engaged in currently...

Are you buying speakers or cologne out of some random guy's trunk?

You're gonna need to visit genmay if you're curious...

upload_2016-12-7_10-40-34.png

So $100 off $600 headset. I don't see it making that big of a difference in sales.

Goes off to research how to setup an Oculus.

If this applies to UK as well, it might twist my arm.
Tried my friends touch last night and the whole experience is a large step up from my Vive.
This is what I was hoping for.

Only downside was his 290x quite often maxed out and some things were a little jerky.
But I didnt once feel sick or disoriented.
Also there were jaggies on some edges so higher supersampling is needed, ie much faster gfx card.
My 980ti is probably the minimum, I would get the upgrade urge on that too.

As others have pointed, it might be wise to wait for next gen.
But Rift is now that good, I'm very tempted.
The low res doesnt look as bad as the Vive, the focal area is way bigger and there are no fresnel rings. And its comfortable, less heavy with much better audio.
What to do about Faceplant though.

Interesting, an offer is on in the UK but a bit different.
They are offering £100 but not with Amazon...

"a promotional code for £100 Oculus Store Credit"
"Order Oculus Rift between 5th and 11th December 2016 you'll receive a promotional code to get £100 Oculus Store credit (the “Offer”). Your code will be e-mailed to you within 48 hours of dispatch. Please note that the Offer is only valid for Oculus Store accounts registered in the UK."

Why and what would I want to buy from the Oculus store?

Interesting, an offer is on in the UK but a bit different.
They are offering £100 but not with Amazon...

"a promotional code for £100 Oculus Store Credit"
"Order Oculus Rift between 5th and 11th December 2016 you'll receive a promotional code to get £100 Oculus Store credit (the “Offer”). Your code will be e-mailed to you within 48 hours of dispatch. Please note that the Offer is only valid for Oculus Store accounts registered in the UK."

Why and what would I want to buy from the Oculus store?

Touch controllers? Games?

Touch controllers? Games?
I asked why as well.

They dont even list prices in my country unless I go through purchasing, pita and not actually legal for advertising in this country.
I would already have the touch controllers anyway.
Why would I buy games from them, they dont offer discounts?
Is there a benefit to using the Oculus store?

I asked why as well.

They dont even list prices in my country unless I go through purchasing, pita and not actually legal for advertising in this country.
I would already have the touch controllers anyway.
Why would I buy games from them, they dont offer discounts?
Is there a benefit to using the Oculus store?

The headset doesn't come with the touch controllers, they're separate and 190gbp, so basically you'd get them over half off.

Some of the games are only available via the Oculus Store (exclusives) and they have deals off and on like any other store.

The headset doesn't come with the touch controllers, they're separate and 190gbp, so basically you'd get them over half off.

Some of the games are only available via the Oculus Store (exclusives) and they have deals off and on like any other store.
The offer on Amazon uk comes with the controllers.
You can buy separately as well but there is a combined price single offer with the Oculus credit applied.

I wouldnt be getting any reduction in price because its not an amazon discount.
Its an Oclulus store credit, which is why I made a post about it.

OK thanks for the info about exclusives at the store.
Thats what I needed to know.
Is there a way to know the titles that are only available from them?

The offer on Amazon uk comes with the controllers.
You can buy separately as well but there is a combined price single offer with the Oculus credit applied.

I wouldnt be getting any reduction in price because its not an amazon discount.
Its an Oclulus store credit, which is why I made a post about it.

OK thanks for the info about exclusives at the store.
Thats what I needed to know.
Is there a way to know the titles that are only available from them?

Gotcha. You can check the Oculus forums for exclusives and I think there's a wiki out there. A lot of the exclusive games are timed exclusives and can be played on vive via revive,so not exclusives in the console sense,but you'll have no problem spending that in the Oculus store as there are tons of non-exclusives in there as well.

Also,you can grab a 3rd sensor for larger (vive like) room scale if you have the room. I'd probably do that and grab a game or two.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
Vive was $100 off during Black Friday / Cyber Monday time.
I have a Vive, its a poor quality image compared to the Rift. A big difference.
I couldnt bear to use my Vive, it was sad seeing it across the room and not wanting to touch it.
I got a refund after a ton of shenanigens which were so bad they didnt even collect it !!
Luckily my friend had a Rift and I saw what VR can look like so am now converted after touch appeared.
Touch is truly fantastic.

I remember reading that HTC were going to allow other controllers to be used with the Vive.
If they do, get these. They are worth it.
They even look like works of art.

So, let me get this straight: order the Rift, get the $100 gift card, use said gift card to get Touch for half off! $700 in total!

That would've leveled things out nicely compared to the Vive $700 Black Friday sale.

I remember reading that HTC were going to allow other controllers to be used with the Vive.
If they do, get these. They are worth it.
They even look like works of art.
That most likely won't be possible. Oculus Touch not only uses a different tracking system, but it relies on some kind of proprietary wireless interface - the same one the Rift HMD and the sensor cameras use for synchronization, at that. It's not like simply adding another gamepad or some other game controller.

That most likely won't be possible. Oculus Touch not only uses a different tracking system, but it relies on some kind of proprietary wireless interface - the same one the Rift HMD and the sensor cameras use for synchronization, at that. It's not like simply adding another gamepad or some other game controller.
Touch comes with a sensor but roomscale may require 2 to 3 sensors. It does for the HMD.
I dont know yet if the sensor driver is available by itself as this could put the kaibosh on it.
(I get my Rift in a week, will know then)

Both the Vive and Rift controllers communicate with the HMD wirelessly using a proprietary protocol.

Touch comes with a sensor but roomscale may require 2 to 3 sensors. It does for the HMD.
I dont know yet if the sensor driver is available by itself as this could put the kaibosh on it.
(I get my Rift in a week, will know then)

You can buy extra Rift sensors individually from the Oculus store. They've been available to order since Oct 31st and started shipping a few days ago.

Both the Vive and Rift controllers communicate with the HMD wirelessly using a proprietary protocol.

A wireless interface can be created if needed.
It tracks with infra red via the cameras, this may be all that is needed.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/5/13811232/oculus-touch-rift-vr-motion-controller-review
Like the Rift, Touch is studded with infrared LEDs and monitored by cameras plugged into the computer.
At least that element wont need synthesizing, just reporting back to the driver somehow.

Camera only tracking is not sufficient. The primary tracking data comes from internal sensors that are sampled at hundreds of hz. That data needs to get to the pc somehow

Reactions: Nenu
like this
Back