Buy now or wait? Have 3.5k to invest

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys. I have 3.5k to invest into a new build. Monitor is going to be needed as well as everything. Have the desk and chair but need everything else.

I am anxious to get the build going. I get the money this week and was thinking of going to Microcenter or order online.

Should I wait until Sept though? Or just bite the bullet and get a nice desktop now? Did I mention I am impatient? LOL. Just want to get my dekstop back again.

Thanks!

The usual advice would be buy now if you need it now, there will always be something better on the horizon, intel only just launched new CPU's and even though rumours are there will be some new ones later this year, that might not happen or there might be more availability issues.

On the side of GPU's though, you may want to hold out for the upcomming launch of the new cards if your main use would be gaming. Nvidia is rumoured to launch in august or september, AMD b4 the launch of the new consoles.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
I don’t think the performance difference from Ryzen 3xxx to 4xxx would be worth the wait in a gaming build. However, at this time I would say wait for the new GPUs before making a purchase.

Another path would be buying the case, mobo, ram, monitor etc... Then pick up a cheaper CPU (3600)/GPU (RX580) and replace both as upgrades become available.

But I would caution this since you are still using/wasting $300 (Unless lucky with selling to someone else) and we don’t know how the 4000 series would work on 4xx/5xx boards.

Are you without any computer ATM? If your ready then go for it. If you keep waiting your always going to be waiting. But IMO 3.5K is wayyyy to much to spend on a computer and monitor. Good luck

Are you without any computer ATM? If your ready then go for it. If you keep waiting your always going to be waiting. But IMO 3.5K is wayyyy to much to spend on a computer and monitor. Good luck
I can't believe I spent $7,000 for my computer back in 1993. That is like $13,000 in todays money.

I don’t think the performance difference from Ryzen 3xxx to 4xxx would be worth the wait in a gaming build. However, at this time I would say wait for the new GPUs before making a purchase.

Another path would be buying the case, mobo, ram, monitor etc... Then pick up a cheaper CPU (3600)/GPU (RX580) and replace both as upgrades become available.

But I would caution this since you are still using/wasting $300 (Unless lucky with selling to someone else) and we don’t know how the 4000 series would work on 4xx/5xx boards.
I mean, the b550 was just released and was mostly just for support going forward (doesn't even support zen/zen+). I find it silly to think it won't work perfectly fine (same with x570) for zen3.

Anyways, I just bought two 3700x's one for my b450 and one with a new b550. If the 4000 series is a lot better I can sell one/both for most of my money back and upgrade. If not, it's a pretty bad ass CPU for me (I do mostly dev work and some 3d modelling with a little bit of gaming and transcoding and the side). I'm impatient to, so figured why not. I don't have as much so I am a bit more patient with the GPUs.

This is posted in Intel forum, so I wonder what's there to wait for on Intel side?

This is posted in Intel forum, so I wonder what's there to wait for on Intel side?

There's a question about how much cpu for which Ampere or big Navi gpu I'd find relevant to my gaming and workloads.

Zen 3 #s vs Intel 10 series may be relevant.

New panels might make it out for the holiday season pushing 300fps @ 1080p, 240hz 1440p

Driving 1440p 150fps dead flat is difficult when you start turning up graphics settings. That may make a diff to someone that doesn't play twitch shooters.

Wait until at least October so you have a choice of the new Zen 3, 360 Hz monitors and NVIDIA Ampere/AMD Navi 2.

Invest is knot the write word two use.
I would wait till the fall. I two want to build a new machine and will be waiting.

I too find the word "invest" interesting. I normally don't think of "investment" in terms of something that is so short lived that costs so much, you know? However, you have 3.5k, so enjoy your pleasure (and call it an investment if you like).

This seems like a decent time to "invest" in anything other than GPU and display. CPUs and platforms are all somewhat recently refreshed and represent great values all around no matter which brand you pick, storage and RAM are at a stable place in performance and capacity, and all the accessories remain stuck in their evolutionary now-with-more-RGB rut. I would be a bit more cautious with GPU and displays if you can afford to, since I do believe HDMI 2.1 will represent a general improvement on both ends of the display chain.

You can get the Micro Center $350 i7-10700K. That's a good deal.

If it's running hot you can disable hyperthreading per core and much more.

Bad time for power supply compared to past years but might as well get one by 2020 standards. I mean compared to the buying frenzy with new Nvidia cards, Zen 3 and AMD cards. There was a stimulus demand surge but that isn't really there in August

Rocket Lake-S coming this Fall...still 14nm but new architecture with PCIe 4 being the main new feature...won't beat Zen 3 but sounds decent enough for Intel die-hards

Invest is a shitty word. Sorry.

I bought my system. So ah well. Got a 10700k with a Z490-A prime board. I am good to go. Thanks guys.

Back