Buy DROID now ? Or wait for N-1 / Incredible on V ?

Droid owner since my 30th BDay (3/12). Originally went with Bugless Beast, and yesterday went with Cyanogenmod. I was trying to hold out for the Verizon N1, but alas, no dice, as of yet. When it comes out, maybe I will consider dumping the droid. However, so far, I am very pleased with the phone. Yes, it is a brick. I came from the iPhone 3G, so I was worried that I would hate the slider design. However, I actually like the keyboard and have gotten quite fast on it. Still not anywhere neat the speed of my old BB 8830, but decent.

I really like the OS, and the Cyanogen ROM is sweet. Turn by turn Nav is great, speakerphone is excellent...the best I have ever had (iPhone fucking blows in this regard...actually, everything but the phone portion of the iPhone is wonderful....the phone is a fucking nightmare). I still want to touch and feel the N1 though...I might buy one outright, if I like it enough, when it hits for VZW.

"Subjectively comparing the Nexus One's display next to the Motorola Droid's display, it became even more obvious that, though the display resolutions are claimed to be almost identical (480x800 on the Nexus One vs. 480x854 on the Droid), text on the Droid's display looks significantly sharper than on the N1's display....The Droid's screen is dimmer and more washed-out than the N1's screen, but text is significantly sharper, to the point that the pixels on the Droid's screen are almost impossible to discern...The fuzziness of text on the N1's display is visually distracting..."

-Arstechnica
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news...tm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

Lol...on what may well be the eve of Verizon's big release too. :D

I've had a Droid for a few months now and would recommend it. There are only a few things about it that bother me. The first is the keyboard. I like having the physical keyboard, but the top row of keys is a little cumbersome, particularly if you have larger hands. It is nice to have though, but could have been executed better. The only other complaint that I have is that it does not come with a video player out of the box. It can play videos out of the box, it just doesn't come with an app for it. There are some good apps in the store that will do it. Aside from that, I love the phone. The display is absolutely gorgeous. Next up: rooting!

I got my Droid just before Christmas.. Ive loved it.. No major complaints.. Keyboard took getting used to but its all good now.. Great speed on the Verizon network but you have to pay for it I suppose.. The screen is really nice..

"Subjectively comparing the Nexus One's display next to the Motorola Droid's display, it became even more obvious that, though the display resolutions are claimed to be almost identical (480x800 on the Nexus One vs. 480x854 on the Droid), text on the Droid's display looks significantly sharper than on the N1's display....The Droid's screen is dimmer and more washed-out than the N1's screen, but text is significantly sharper, to the point that the pixels on the Droid's screen are almost impossible to discern...The fuzziness of text on the N1's display is visually distracting..."

-Arstechnica
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news...tm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

Lol...on what may well be the eve of Verizon's big release too. :D

The Incredible is rumored to have the same size, type, and resolution screen as well. I would be very surprised if HTC used a display from a different vendor for another phone based on the snapdragon platform, if the rumors are true.

While a great screen isn't the end all be all, it is a deal breaker within this context imo. The Droid isn't a slow or poorly-featured phone by any means. This was a poor design decision on HTC's part.

This explains why reading text on my buddy's N1 always seemed a little...off.

Back