Buy.com: PNY GTX 280 $390 AR, Free Shipping

$420 before rebate and $390 AR is a crazy price for a GTX280... I'm so tempted!

At that price, wow, this definately will give a 4870 a run for the performance vs. price ratio crown. I have a PNY 6800GT that's four years old and still kickin it. At that price I'd buy one.

This is an insane price. The card is actually a really great value for this kind of money.

I will be very surprised if NVIDIA is able to ship in volume the GT200b before September.
This sounds like best wish to me since ATI will release their super duper X2 cards 2 weeks before... The 9800GTX+ is still hardly available even if it is not a popular seller.

Anyway, $390 is a great price for a GTX 280.

it's not that great of a deal when you consider the 4870x2 for $550 which will hulk smash the 280

it's not that great of a deal when you consider the 4870x2 for $550 which will hulk smash the 280

assuming you are okay with dual gpu cards, possible microstutter and possibly poor scaling. after owning a 3870x2, 9800gx2 and dual 4850's in xfire, dual gpu cards and setups are dead to me.

Good find OP, defnitely the best price I've seen for a 280. It certainly matches the price/performance ratio of the 4800's much better now. Man, I bet nvidia is taking a beating on these things. I know they were raping the consumer at $649, but I can't imagine they were making the kind of margin needed to offset the price cuts.

If the 4870x2 comes out early to mid next month at $550, then clearly the 4870x2 compared to a $390 GTX 280 has a much better on the performance vs. price ratio.

At this point you should just wait and see if you're wanting a top end single card and have a $500 to $600 budget. I don't see the GTX 200's in 65nm form being around that much longer, they just aren't price competitive and/or too expensive for nVidia to make.

Still though if you need a top end card TODAY, this isn't a bad deal as long as you realize what's coming do the pipe in the 4870x2. And beyond that, you might need to keep an eye on nVidia's next move. I'm not claiming anything, but nVidia's got to be scrambling to get something out to be competitive ASAP.

The waiting game at its best!:D

get the best graphic card at best buy/frys/circuit city and return it til the day before they allow for refund, wait for the 4870x2 to come out & smash down the prices on 280 even more

Then use the Microsoft cashback thing on fleaBay to get the 280 gtx for 75% the price

Profit!

Amazing, wonder how low these will go.

Probably not that much lower until the GT200b comes out. These cards are pretty expensive to produce, so there's a limit to how much the prices can come down without cutting into profits too much. On the other hand, once GT200b comes out, they'll probably tank the price to get rid of all the old stock.

I think they are close if not already losing money on these

and at these price they do give the 4870 a run for the money

jeez you have to wonder what the mark up on that piece of i mean video card is/was. for these places to still be making a profit, and selling at $390.......
they made like $350 or more per card off the early adopters. which is more than the price the 4870 was at launch.

assuming you are okay with dual gpu cards, possible microstutter and possibly poor scaling. after owning a 3870x2, 9800gx2 and dual 4850's in xfire, dual gpu cards and setups are dead to me.
it has been confirmed that the 4870X2 doesnt have microstudder.

it has been confirmed that the 4870X2 doesnt have microstudder.

i've hear similar rumors and have read a preliminary posting on xtremesystems forums, but nothing concrete. do you have another source?

It's offering me another $30 off if you sign up with the free Buy.com Visa card

419.99 - 5% = 398.99

398.99 - $30 Visa sign up

368.99- $30 MIR = 338.99 Wow, very tempting

I'm betting $350, assuming 4870 doesn't go any lower then it already has. So the rumors are right, nv partners are having a hard time selling the gtx 2xx cards.

jeez you have to wonder what the mark up on that piece of i mean video card is/was. for these places to still be making a profit, and selling at $390.......
they made like $350 or more per card off the early adopters. which is more than the price the 4870 was at launch.

your assuming that they are currently making a profit. I think they are but only by a hair. Nvidia has enjoyed a pretty good markup but right now I think they are willing to lose money to keep market share. With bad yields and high production cost ( they need to loose that 512 bit bus) it has not been product release.

Nvidias version of the 2900XT, I am sure it will come down even more!

Unlike the 2900XT this card actually has pretty good performance, so at this price it is actually a pretty good buy.

( they need to loose that 512 bit bus)

They can't. The wide bus is the only thing that allows them to eke enough performance out of the slow GDDR3 that they're using, and if they were to go with a narrower design they'd have to copy ATI and adopt GDDR5 RAM to maintain their performance. Given nVidia's massive ego, I doubt they'd be willing to do something like that and essentially admit that ATI's approach is in fact better. Expect a die shrink, but I doubt they'll be going with a narrower memory bus.

Yah, get a 4870x2, something about the downclocking and t105c high temps on the gtx280 turns me off. :)

Unlike the 2900XT this card actually has pretty good performance, so at this price it is actually a pretty good buy.

They can't. The wide bus is the only thing that allows them to eke enough performance out of the slow GDDR3 that they're using, and if they were to go with a narrower design they'd have to copy ATI and adopt GDDR5 RAM to maintain their performance. Given nVidia's massive ego, I doubt they'd be willing to do something like that and essentially admit that ATI's approach is in fact better. Expect a die shrink, but I doubt they'll be going with a narrower memory bus.

actually the memory did prove to be that big of a deal with the 4870, only about 7 to 10% if you downclock the 4870 to the 4850. Not sure how that scales though. But that was exactly what Nvidia needs to do, GDDR5 would save them a lot of grief. pride be damned. a good die shrink and 256 bit bus would put them back in the game I think. They can't be making much on these now and they still need to bring the price down, they are still a hundred more then the 4870 and that is a little steep. If AMD starts cutting prices on the 4870, and they still have quite a bit of room, its going to be even worse.

actually the memory did prove to be that big of a deal with the 4870, only about 7 to 10% if you downclock the 4870 to the 4850. Not sure how that scales though. But that was exactly what Nvidia needs to do, GDDR5 would save them a lot of grief. pride be damned. a good die shrink and 256 bit bus would put them back in the game I think. They can't be making much on these now and they still need to bring the price down, they are still a hundred more then the 4870 and that is a little steep. If AMD starts cutting prices on the 4870, and they still have quite a bit of room, its going to be even worse.

The small performance difference between the 4850 and 4870 at the same speed is generally at lower resolutions. With high levels of AA and high resolutions, the 4870 really shines compared to the 4850, largely thanks to the faster memory. GDDR3 on a 256-bit bus would kill the GTX280's high-detail performance, which right now is its main selling point. I also doubt they would go the GDDR5 route, because like I said in my last post, nVidia has a massive ego, and admitting that ATI had a better idea than them would be a big step that I doubt they'd be willing to take. Nevertheless, I won't rule anything out.

Back