Buy AMD sell Intel

I still think the Radeon portfolio would have been quite valuable for someone like Apple or Samsung. Especially Apple as they use Radeon products. I'm sure they'd love to bring it in house. I could imagine Apple purchasing AMD above market value in Feb 2016. It would have been trivial for them to do with their pile of cash in order to secure that IP. For example, in 2015 Apple acquired Beats headphones for their streaming platform and licenses with record companies. So it is plausible they'd acquire AMD/Radeon to prevent someone else like Samsung from taking their gpu architecture of choice.

Also AMD holds the IP for x64. Not Intel. Intel's attempt was itanium x64 and that's dead. If x86 agreement goes away, so does amd64 for Intel. I wonder if Intel had a contingency plan for that of amd did actually go under?

Radeon was all they had, after debt probably zero gain for the investor. The x86/x64 cross-licensing agreement does NOT allow transfer in an acquisition. It is all together - x86/x64 with Intel. Read the link in my last post. It simply DIES. Nothing to be gained. That is how Intel and AMD protect the x86/64 IP TOGETHER.

You need to understand Cross-Licensing, It is astounding how many people invest in AMD and cheer on "Acquisition" of AMD by another company and don't understand the x86/64 license implications. It is good you understand the Monopoly side. Obviously that counts Nvidia out as a purchaser of the RTG Group.

Radeon was all they had, after debt probably zero gain for the investor. The x86/x64 cross-licensing agreement does NOT allow transfer in an acquisition. It is all together - x86/x64 with Intel. Read the link in my last post. It simply DIES. Nothing to be gained. That is how Intel and AMD protect the x86/64 IP TOGETHER.

You need to understand Cross-Licensing, It is astounding how many people invest in AMD and cheer on "Acquisition" of AMD by another company and don't understand the x86/64 license implications. It is good you understand the Monopoly side. Obviously that counts Nvidia out as a purchaser of the RTG Group.

Right I get that's it's not transferable. I forgot that x86 isn't transferable, but then that means amd64 (x64) isn't either. And it doesn't change the fact that Intel doesn't own quite a few of the instruction sets their cpu's rely on. The termination of the deal would be a disaster for both parties. It's almost like a suicide pact. Whoever picked up the pieces of amd (should they have collapsed in 2015-16) would almost assuredly have to ink a new deal with Intel. Otherwise Intel couldn't sell any x64 cpu's. Which today, is all of them. Intel doesn't own the x64 ip, AMD does. That's why I'm curious what their contingency plan was because itanium x64 is dead and isn't a viable fallback. Other implementations of 64 bit computing are obviously possible, there's ARM64 after all. But alternatives would take years to implement if Intel lost x64.

Also I'm super impressed with AMD's recent maneuvering to be able to sell x86 cpu's in China under a different name.
Very crafty. I'm sure their lawyers spent many months dreaming it up to make sure it was totally legal under the cross license agreement.

Last edited:
Not understanding the need for a contingency plan. Intel uses x64 and AMD uses x86. If either company dies, the other can continue to use the technology. That simple. Say AMD dies, Intel can continue to use the x64. Say Intel dies, AMD can continue to use the x86. Yes, that Chinese two company flim flam with AMD to allow native Chinese production issomething else.

Termination in Bankruptcy. Subject to the terms of, and as further set forth in, Sections 5.2(d) and 5.2(e), and upon written notice to the other Party (as used in this Section 5.2(b), the “Terminated Party”), a Party may terminate this Agreement as a whole, or the rights and licenses of the Terminated Party and all of its Subsidiaries under this Agreement, or the rights and licenses of any Subsidiary of the Terminated Party, if (i) any Bankruptcy Event occurs with respect to such Terminated Party or with respect to any such Subsidiaries, and (ii) following such Bankruptcy Event, such Terminated Party or any of its Subsidiaries takes any Prohibited Action.
Subject to the provisions of Section 5.2(e)(ii) of this Agreement, the Parties and their respective Subsidiaries acknowledge and agree that, as further described in Section 7.2(b), this Agreement is personal to the Parties and their respective Subsidiaries; that U.S. patent law and other applicable non-bankruptcy law excuses a Party, without its consent, from accepting performance from or rendering performance to anyone other than the other Party and its Subsidiaries; and that this Agreement constitutes an executory contract of the kind specified in Section 365(c)(1) of Title 11 of the United States Code (the “Bankruptcy Code”). The Parties and their respective Subsidiaries further acknowledge and agree that Section 365(e)(1) of the Bankruptcy Code does not prevent termination of rights and licenses as set forth in this Section 5.2(b), and that Section 365(e)(2) of the Bankruptcy Code permits such termination, in each instance on the terms and subject to the conditions of this Section 5.2(b). Each of the Parties and its Subsidiaries hereby waives the protections of the “automatic stay” contained in Section 362 of the Bankruptcy Code to the extent required to permit each other Party to exercise its rights of termination under this Section 5.2(b).
From the article linked earlier

The above terminated party as being the bankrupted company. This protects the rights being transferred from the bankrupt company anywhere else.

Below protects the rights of the non-bankrupt party.

"Rights to Maintain and Enforce Intellectual Property. Without limiting any other provision of this Agreement, and subject in particular to Section 5.2(e)(ii) of this Agreement, if any Party or Subsidiary subject to a case under the Bankruptcy Code rejects this Agreement or any right or license hereunder, each Licensed Party shall nevertheless have the right to take all actions on its own behalf, and in the name of such Party or Subsidiary, to maintain the intellectual property in which the Licensed Party has been granted rights and licenses hereunder, and to enforce such rights and licenses against third parties, without the further consent or involvement of such Party or Subsidiary."

Reactions: Nobu
like this
The above terminated party as being the bankrupted company. This protects the rights being transferred from the bankrupt company anywhere else.

Below protects the rights of the non-bankrupt party.

"Rights to Maintain and Enforce Intellectual Property. Without limiting any other provision of this Agreement, and subject in particular to Section 5.2(e)(ii) of this Agreement, if any Party or Subsidiary subject to a case under the Bankruptcy Code rejects this Agreement or any right or license hereunder, each Licensed Party shall nevertheless have the right to take all actions on its own behalf, and in the name of such Party or Subsidiary, to maintain the intellectual property in which the Licensed Party has been granted rights and licenses hereunder, and to enforce such rights and licenses against third parties, without the further consent or involvement of such Party or Subsidiary."
Sorry, thought I had gotten the whole thing.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a...ce-target-hikes-2018-09-04?mod=hp_minor_pos20

AMD AMD, +11.18% shares rallied to an intraday high of $28.06 Tuesday, and were last up more than 10% at $27.75 on volume of more than 128 million shares, making it them most heavily traded stock on the S&P 500 index SPX, -0.29% at more than four times the volume of the next most heavily traded stock on the index. The last time shares traded this high was June 7, 2006, when shares hit $29.33, according to FactSet.

I was hoping for a pull back as I wanted to buy more shares. I honestly think this will be $70 next year. I think we are seeing a short squeeze. :D

It's been an epic week, that's for sure.

Tempted to sell my $14 shares here and wait for the next dip.

My MU shares are taking a big hit right now :(

I bought at $52.XX, 7 days ago...

Im not sure if my total portfolio is even in the green this year...

How does a 60 billion market cap swing double digit percentages on a daily...

I bought at $52.XX, 7 days ago...

Im not sure if my total portfolio is even in the green this year...

How does a 60 billion market cap swing double digit percentages on a daily...
It's what happens with market uncertainty, especially in a trade war.

When do I load up on more AMD.... It's either green or flat.
About two months ago, but now isn't a terrible time (just more risky).
Edit: Rather, about the same risk, but you have to be willing to put more in and there's potential for greater loss as a result.

Last edited:
I can tell you if I purchased the 5000 shares at $2 I would have sold this week.

With that said I do own a stock that I purchased in 2009 at $22.68 that is over $200 now. I am not selling or even remotely worried. Because of dividends I am playing with house money anyways..

Last edited:
I can tell you if I purchased the 5000 shares at $2 I would have sold this week.

I sold a few days ago at $29 nearly tripling my initial investment, really glad I didn’t wait for $30. I thought it was growing to fast in the last few weeks/days and it wouldn’t be sustainable for long term.

I sold a few days ago at $29 nearly tripling my initial investment, really glad I didn’t wait for $30. I thought it was growing to fast in the last few weeks/days and it wouldn’t be sustainable for long term.
If you look at the last five days, it's doing one of those pattern things...not sure what it means as I didn't go to school for it, but yeah. Lol

If you look at the last five days, it's doing one of those pattern things...not sure what it means as I didn't go to school for it, but yeah. Lol
I am no expert either, I am a self learning short term trader, which is both good and bad... My long term has been a mix of TSP and Roth/Vanguard ETFs.

Either way I could be wrong and it climbs to 40/75 “if you check reddit, but too many Lisa Su to the moon/lambs memes lately” or I am right and people are selling out to maximize their gains. Leaving those who bought at $26 to hold or take a hit and sell lower.

I am no expert either, I am a self learning short term trader, which is both good and bad... My long term has been a mix of TSP and Roth/Vanguard ETFs.

Either way I could be wrong and it climbs to 40/75 “if you check reddit, but too many Lisa Su to the moon/lambs memes lately” or I am right and people are selling out to maximize their gains. Leaving those who bought at $26 to hold or take a hit and sell lower.
I bought early, but I already covered so I'm holding until it tickles me the right way. I don't expect it to rise fast, but I do expect $30+ eventually.

I could only afford 65 shares of AMD at $15 a share but money made I guess. I'm going to ride the AMD wave for as long as I can. Maybe cash out above $40 and invest in other stocks after.

I'm planning to buy intel at around $35, and again at around $25 if it gets that low. I don't expect intel to stay down for very long, maybe a year or two at most.

I am in for somewhere around 500 shares if it hits $35.

Last edited:
I saw that earlier, someone posted that on the finance board. nobody here pays attention to wccf but that looks good to me. I have no reason to doubt that yet,

Like Lisa said in the interview on CNBC last week - "The Best is Yet to Come!"

Back